Sixth Form Scholarship

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Chrismith92, Oct 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm 16 and attempting to get into the FAA through the scholarship/reserved place scheme. My F.A.T's are in 2 weeks (AHHHHH!) and hopefully my AIB will be soon after. Does anyone know how far down the line I have to be to get my scholarship, and if they'll back date it. Also, anyone doing their F.A.T on the 20/21st October???

Thanks, Chris

2. Finally.

I'm doing this scheme aswell, I have my interview tommorow. Yay.

Welcome to the site, and good luck with your FATs.

3. There's at best one scholarship a year for FAA - draw your own conclusions.

Get good A levels, get a uni bursary and join the URNU, and go for the FAA when you graduate. That's what my chum in the recruiting office told my FAA-mad daughter.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

There are only literally a handfull of £1500 6th form scholarships awarded each year across the whole of the Navy/RM.

The scholarship AIBs for that academic year are usually taken in the September after your GCSEs and awarded for the next one/two years, or if intended for upper 6th, in the September after your AS's.

The ultimate goal should be aiming for a reserved place, which means you can join after A levels without retaking AIB.

Alternatively, whilst few and far between, a University Cadetship (UCE) is a more financially appealing method of entry, followed by a more readily attainable bursary, as suggested. The URNU is indeed a very good consideration whether you gain sponsorship or otherwise.

Good luck.

5. Additionally, you can study for a Foundatin Degree in Military Aviation Studies while undertaking flying training.
    You will require 5 GCSEs inc Maths and English Language and 180 UCAS points from A levels. And to pass AIB of course.

6. So how many people are declined the money but offered a place at the end of their A-levels?