Site upgrade - 25 Jan 12

Discussion in 'Site Issues' started by Good CO, Jan 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RR has long been overdue upgrades to its core software, VBulletin - we were 9 behind in fact. All of those 9 versions were minor so nothing dramatic will change, but a lot of bugfixes and enhancements have been added.

One of the most significant changes in user interface is an improved - in theory - editor for writing your forums posts and PMs. This did cause a few issues when we first made the change on ARRSE so I expect it also will here. If you have problems with not being able write / use smilies / quote, then try changing the editor type in Settings->General Settings->Miscellaneous Options. The Settings like is at the top right of the page.

As for the more obvious change in layout, we've come in to line with ARRSE - that is switched to a full screen width to make better use of modern wider monitors and give a right column throughout the forums. The front page has been simplified and made more functional with an improved recent posts list.

There is still work to do and I don't doubt there are loads of niggles and issues to be addressed over the next few days, but I'm going live now anyway. The cover phrase for not being complete in your software testing is 'Guerilla Testing' - leave it up to the users to find the problems then fix them. So.... guerilla testing.

I hope you find the new site an improvement. Do please post any issues and questions here.

Oh, and as I write this the chat is offline - my next job.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cheers GCO!

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Can't find my gorilla under 'settings'.

4. Epic. Just out of interest how come the quick reply box on here has all the icons for posting phots etc. but it's not on Arrse?

I think it's better here and it would be a nice touch over at the other place too.

5. Will there be an Ipad app like for ARRSE?

6. looking good too me, Just take me the next month to fathom everything out!!SM

7. Just logged on, whys the screen at 200%, check, not, Ooops

Nice

8. Yes, and an Android app in the not too distant future. Also we will have a mobile skin that will make it easier to use in a mobile browser, although it's not as good as an app.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Have we lost instant messenger? Can't see for looking?????

10. It does mate, you just have to change it in your personal settings.

11. Can anyone see me "online". Fucked if I can see that bit anymore???!!

12. ==================

SM,

A Euro to a pinch of sugar that you really meant to post this:

13. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

???????????????????? RRPedia ??????????????????????

14. ^^^^^:-D^^^^^

15. Seen!!! .

16. In "What to See" on the home page:

Ahem.

??

Copy /paste is not always your friend . . . !

17. Well spotted! We're likely to find some more of those lurking around I'm afraid.

18. Starting work on that now :)

19. fishface

fishface Badgeman Book Reviewer

Don't know if it's meant to but if you click on the RR logo at the top left it takes to the forum front page rather than the home page.

20. Sorted! Thanks for that