Site Search

Discussion in 'Site Issues' started by NotmeChief, Nov 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why is there no search available on here?
    I'm sure a lot of duplicate posts would be avoided if we could look for posts done previousl

If there is then it's well hidden.

2. I have just found out myseld but its top right hand side of the screen.

3. N M C

I also lost it a few months ago when you are actually in a forum lets say "Site issues" then the very top right box has search on it. That will do very nicely. Or the Forums index page.

Nutty

4. Thanks wings

I have found the button, but it don't work. All I get after I have filled it in and hit 'search' is a blank page. It says 'done' at the bottom but shows nothing.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It should say: "Search Found XXX matches", top left, with a list of threads containing the detail you're looking for. When you open the threads, the text of your search items are high-lighted in orange.

Don't forget, for example, to find a thread containing "Site Search", you need to actually type: "Site and Search". Try doing just that & this thread comes up top of the list. Open it & this post will highlight all the orange keywords.

site search site search site search site search site search site search site search

Unless I'm looking for a specific author, I only use the top box, next to where it says:

Search for Keywords:
    You can use AND to define words which must be in the results, OR to define words which may be in the result and NOT to define words which should not be in the result. Use * as a wildcard for partial matches.

It usually works OK

6. Ah Ninja the joys of Bolean logic (Ask Thingy or GR and make a Librarians day). :thumright:
    NZB

7. Ninja_Stoker

Cheers!

I Googled it & it said:

Did NZB really mean Boolean Logic?

Boolean algebra (or Boolean logic) is a logical calculus of truth values, developed by George Boole. It resembles the algebra of real numbers as taught in high school, but with the numeric operations of multiplication xy, addition x + y, and negation −x replaced, respectively, by the logical operations of conjunction x∧y, disjunction x∨y, and complement ¬x. The Boolean operations are these and all other operations obtainable from them by composition; equivalently, the finitary operations on the set {0,1}. The laws of Boolean algebra can be defined axiomatically as the equations derivable from a sufficient finite subset of those laws, such as the equations axiomatizing a complemented distributive lattice or a Boolean ring, or semantically as those equations identically true or valid over {0,1}. The axiomatic approach is sound and complete in the sense that it proves respectively neither more nor fewer laws than the validity-based semantic approach.

I typed in: "Er dunno"

Google told me to "do one!"[​IMG]

8. I thought it was reasonably obvious actually - more so than on many forums. There are only 6 biggish buttons at 'eye level' when you look at a page and it's one of them. Maybe I should add it to a pull down menu too?

If anyone can't find the button or has problems with the search (which seems to be working OK although is not very fast) there is of course that little known search engine "Google":

http://www.google.co.uk/advanced_search?hl=en

Type rumration.co.uk in to the domain box half way down the page and you can search away to your heart's content.

9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Perhaps highlighting the Search box in a bright colour would help those who struggle with the written word

10. Ninja_Stoker

That's a good idea Jan,

A nice loud colour for the hard of hearing & a camouflage one for those that log-on in the "Booty" theme.

OOooh, I can feel a Deja-Vu coming on about the legendary Search Button

[​IMG]

11. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Maybe they could use the search facility to find the search button, Ah! I've spotted the problem there already :thumright:

12. Ninja_Stoker

OK, it's only a prototype you understand...
    [​IMG]