???Site Name Change???

I was thinking maybe change the name of the site from Navy Net/Rum Ration to perhaps Mothercare with so many bleating requests for either the obvious or information that would be better sourced from their AFCO.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for helping people but only if they've exhausted official channels.

My new year resolution of not biting to the wannabes in the recruiting bit was lost very early January 1st!!!!

May the abuse begin!!!

I do wonder just how we survived - beastings, limited choice of iron (they were supplied - you used what they had!), no duvets, no washing machines etc etc.

I do wonder just how we survived - beastings, limited choice of iron (they were supplied - you used what they had!), no duvets, no washing machines etc etc.
I was that washing machine!!!
Oh!! And sowing maching.
Which begs the question Are ‘housewives’ still issued??

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I feel the pain with regard recruiting queries.

Not sure whether the "joining up" subforums have stifled Rum Ration or actually helped stop it from croaking and sinking into oblivion.

How busy is Romft or Miltary Forums nowadays, I wonder?

On Facebook, Pussers Very Own seems to be quite lively group, but there seems to be few active military forums that can afford to ignore recruiting queries entirely.

The obvious reply to those that don't like daft questions in the recruiting part of the forum is don't bother to read any of it. I am well past the age(and then some) where I might consider rejoining nor do I know anyone who might want to join but I find them an interesting read. The layman has no idea of the amount of potential problems lurking out there for the potential sailor both for themselves and the AFCO staff. I think for someone full of enthusiasm wishing to crack on with the start of a new career it is easier to ask a question that's been a dozens of times rather than trawl the boards looking for the required knowledge.

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
I think for someone full of enthusiasm wishing to crack on with the start of a new career it is easier to ask a question that's been a dozens of times rather than trawl the boards looking for the required knowledge.
Until this bit, I agree with you.

People should do some searches and ask their AFCO before lazily posting stuff that's been answered many times before.

That said, it's obvious that not all AFCOs are as helpful as others, so some recruits need to seek advice elsewhere.

Changed days To be sure. Not necessarily a bad thing. Looking back when I was a just turned sixteen years old at Raleigh, the only means of support I remember was a couple of my fellow trainees and that all important, without fail, telephone call home every Sunday. No social media in those days (early sixties), you just had to pull on your big boy shorts and get on with it. Glad today's trainees have avenues such as this for advice etc, but let's not dilute a sense of self reliance and initiative completely?

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
The characters are shuffling off, sadly.
Today we hear that John Gawley an ex sparker with 42 years RN service has died. Commissioned in 1962 he served from 1948 until 1990.
His last ship was Tiger in 1977. He also gave his time as an International Hockey Referee. We are the poorer.