Site Moderation

Discussion in 'Site Issues' started by slim, Oct 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. While I find RR to be an interesting and well run site, would it be possible to have a code of practise for Moderators.
    Most moderators do a sterling job and if they cull or lock a post have the decency to state the reason for doing so and also identify themselves.
    This is good moderation.
    However recently a post was culled from the gash Barge, a forum where any mod can moderate. The person culling the post did not state a reason or identify themselves. When the Moderators identy was asked for the Mods banded together and tried to justify why it is OK for this to happen. Indeed some even made statements inferring that it may have been the site owners. This I cannot believe as the site owners seem to run a tight ship and if they culled a post would state why and also state their name.
    So please to stop posts like the one below could we have If you cull identify why and who is the culler.

http://www.navy-net.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=22542/start=180.html

2. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Is this a question for the COs? If so I think an e-mail sent in parallel would probably get their attention faster.

3. Speed is not the essence of the solution.
    The site owners do not read all postings (that's why they have mods). However they do frequently read and reply to site issues.
    As I have said, the site is well moderated with one or two exceptions.

4. Slim

I have been arguing this point almost since I joined the site, and to be fair there are several MODs who do as you say, but the usual suspects seem to take great pleasure in displaying their lack of social graces and in doing so simply reduce themselves to the level of the very posters they complain about.

Yes moderation is needed because there will always be some that will push to the limits like a child does, of course when another child does the same back in the name of moderation we get the yah boo threads which do no one any good.

5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

There's an echo in here, isn't there? Isn't there..? :wink:

As SF said, the COs do not read all posts and an email (rather than a PM) to them will be responded to as soon as practicable.

6. silverfox

Folks.

Slim has raised an important point to the COs - please please do not turn this into yet another slanging match - it does nobody or the site any credit.

SF

7. Many thanks SF
    Email to site owners sent

8. All noted and sorry for the slow reply. I have to admit that I haven't been keeping a good eye on RR in the last weeks and BCO has been busier that ever.

I know that it is incredibly irritating getting posts deleted, but complaining about posts getting deleted from the gash barge is not going to get much sympathy. It was aimed to be a form of deletion anyway and all mods have access and as far as I'm concerned can delete from there to their hearts content.

All that said I will make a request to the moderators, and it may as well be public, to make an explanatory post about threads or post deletion where the reason was not glaringly obvious. It's not reasonable to expect this in all cases - we'd soon have no mods, but when appropriate it should be done.

Preaching to the converted? Yes, but a reminder does no harm once in a while.

9. Many thanks

10. Thank you GCO for clearing up what we have been saying all along x

11. silverfox

Don't start again!!

12. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Not this site, but what's the score with the RR facebook group? I asked Evil Adj a question on the wall (it's the most recent one) and she has yet to reply. I'm hurt.

13. sgtpepperband

Did you poke her..?! :shock:

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Gasp.

Is Evil Adj a girlie?

Oh well, no wonder there was no swapsies reciprocated after sending those dodgy photos. :wink:

15. sgtpepperband

I know, N_S... I saw your photos and even I would do you up the wrong 'un! :twisted:

16. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Only in my dreams. She'll come round, don't you worry.

(And yes, i saw what you did there)

17. I have only just noticed, might have been a while ago? Anyway -

Congratulations to Soliel on her elevation to that happy band of RR Moderators.

Just need to know for which Forum as it seems that information is no longer displayed?

Mind you I reckon she deserves a free hand across the whole Board.:brave:

18. Well deserved IMO

19. bottom of the page mate.
    Current Affairs

20. Cheers S_S,

(I almost forgot that you were once a MOD and were all about on suchlike :wink:)