Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Site Moderation

Why not keep a list on site where interested parties can sign up for MOD Duties. This would make it easier for the existing MODs to identify new blood.

SF

janner said:
I think that there is a case for more Mods, some have offerred and as far as I know have received no acknowledgement for doing so. The biggest problem is that threads are allowed to become jumbled up, with no apparant attempt by the Mods to shift items mis posted to a more appropriate thread.

I agree in general terms with Roof Rat and his on/off switch remark. Any abuse shouldn't be taken to personally and if its going to far thats the time for a Mod to step in with a standard warning post, maybe something in red saying a post is pushing to hard, after that if it continues delete the posts.

None of the above is meant as a crititisum of the Mods, I run a small site and know how time consuming it is, its also the reason why I can't offer to help out on RR.

As one of the more mature members, its good to see the mixture of old and new growing, long may it continue, but there will always be the "Things were better/worse in my day" type posts, in 20 years time the youngsters moaning about them now will be posting them. A tighter control on whats posted where would go a long way to easing any problems there.

Well done everyone, I think the sites starting to settle down and will continue to grow in popularity, don't let J-D grind you down, the hormones are still playing up from "That" Operation

In general I agree with Janner and those who have echoed his sentiments. Whilst I am not the greatest fan of the concept of moderation, I understand the need for iton a site like this and can only thank those who give up their time to do it.

I think it is OK for warnings from the Mods to be sent by PM, and equally simple editing which is needed from time to time is visible to the reader, but when a post is deleted I do believe this should be recorded in the thread along with the basic reasons. I suspect most of us will agree and doing this will get the main body of us 'onside' which is I think important.

Once again thanks to the Mods

Peter

Some interesting points been raised on here. I'm quite happy to accept that we haven't got moderation fully tied down - for instance some boards have no mods and some of the mods are no longer very active.

Now someone once told me that 'Anyone who wants to be a politician should automatically be barred from being one.' That seems like quite a sensible philosophy to me. So have a look at the boards that aren't been well moderated and then drop me a PM with who you think should be the mod and why! I'll have a look at the responses I get and then see what I can do.

Its probably also worth making the point that mods do not get any ability to mod articles outside their individual boards and this may explain some of the discrepancies that you see. I'll be asking the mods to put their policy up on each board.

In terms of individual styles, well to a certain extent I think that is good as it gives the different boards unique flavours. We've found this works very well on ARRSE for instance where there is a world of difference between CA and the NAAFI. I see something similar on here.

The final word on moderation is that if you do have a serious issue then please raise it to us via email [email protected]. Please bear in mind that except in extremis we always support our mods.

Maybe just maybe we need a hidden forum.Like the ones on arrse for the more salty of us.It would be good.Although as a arrse user I find that can lead to the site getting a us and them vibe.E.G Dale and Moody vs Anyone who isn't green or connected to the green.

Maybe just maybe we need a hidden forum.Like the ones on arrse for the more salty of us.
Blimey a good idea from a Perce!
How about it Boss? You would get rid of us "old and bold, crusty ex Jacks" into our own little world. We could moderate ourselves...................ie leave when you can't take any more flack :twisted:
RoofRat

RoofRat said:
Maybe just maybe we need a hidden forum.Like the ones on arrse for the more salty of us.
How about it Boss? You would get rid of us "old and bold, crusty ex Jacks" into our own little world. We could moderate ourselves...................ie leave when you can't take any more flack :twisted:
RoofRat

Can I third this suggestion. Seems sensible to me.

Always_a_Civvy said:
RoofRat said:
RoofRat

I'm I the only person that thinks this would be a bad idea, because at the moment we are in a dammed if we do, dammed if we don't situation............ put the 'old salts' in a form of their own and bang goes 90% of the daily posts on RR. Which will lead to the site looking empty and therefore no one will want to join.

wompingwillow said:
Always_a_Civvy said:
RoofRat said:
RoofRat

I'm I the only person that thinks this would be a bad idea, because at the moment we are in a dammed if we do, dammed if we don't situation............ put the 'old salts' in a form of their own and bang goes 90% of the daily posts on RR. Which will lead to the site looking empty and therefore no one will want to join.

I not convinced Womps, it would simply provide a release for those who wish to engage in lively banter of a very explicit kind - invisible to the casual user - but there are lots of other threads we enjoy participating in. Also there has been comment on whether the old salts are scaring off the serving matelots - well then, this might provide an incentive for more to join. I think it is at least worth thinking about a trial, perhaps for a month, to see what happens, and go from there.

wompingwillow said:
Always_a_Civvy said:
RoofRat said:
RoofRat

I'm with you on this one Womps , would decimate the site ,leave it alone , it will grow in its own time & at its own speed , I personaly can't see much wrong with it , :? :?

Always_a_Civvy said:
wompingwillow said:
Always_a_Civvy said:
RoofRat said:
RoofRat

I not convinced Womps, it would simply provide a release for those who wish to engage in lively banter of a very explicit kind - invisible to the casual user - but there are lots of other threads we enjoy participating in. Also there has been comment on whether the old salts are scaring off the serving matelots - well then, this might provide an incentive for more to join. I think it is at least worth thinking about a trial, perhaps for a month, to see what happens, and go from there.

Ok can see your point of view but surely you've only got to look at the joined/posted ratio to see that plenty join and don't post, we shouldn't cut our nose to spite our face as my nan would say ( if she hadn't been dead ten years)

Ok this maybe too much information but I've never been out with a civvy! I'm tri service so to speak! I've joined maybe 50 web sites that are ether service or wife/girlfriend sites, I post on two visit maybe 5.

The site attracts people because thats what they are looking for ( trying hard to not use we here but after to bottles of wine hard not to claim ownership!) As I keep saying if we are holding out for universal popularity it's going to be a bloody long wait.

IMO this sites not broke so for god sakes don't try and fix it and alienate the loyal band of people that have posted random shite to keep it going.

You can't be all things to all people this is a public form so by default it's not going to appeal to everyone, try and do that and what makes us any different from the PC lot, the only way we are going to get 100% of people who join/visit posting is if we create about 300 sub forums from post what you like to careful now don't post that it might offend someone.com

Ok rant over but could go on all night ( carm down just talking about posts any nothing else :wink: )

wompingwillow said:
Always_a_Civvy said:
wompingwillow said:
Always_a_Civvy said:
RoofRat said:
RoofRat

Ok can see your point of view but surely you've only got to look at the joined/posted ratio to see that plenty join and don't post, we shouldn't cut our nose to spite our face as my nan would say ( if she hadn't been dead ten years)

Ok this maybe too much information but I've never been out with a civvy! I'm tri service so to speak! I've joined maybe 50 web sites that are ether service or wife/girlfriend sites, I post on two visit maybe 5.

The site attracts people because thats what they are looking for ( trying hard to not use we here but after to bottles of wine hard not to claim ownership!) As I keep saying if we are holding out for universal popularity it's going to be a bloody long wait.

IMO this sites not broke so for god sakes don't try and fix it and alienate the loyal band of people that have posted random shite to keep it going.

You can't be all things to all people this is a public form so by default it's not going to appeal to everyone, try and do that and what makes us any different from the PC lot, the only way we are going to get 100% of people who join/visit posting is if we create about 300 sub forums from post what you like to careful now don't post that it might offend someone.com

Ok rant over but could go on all night ( carm down just talking about posts any nothing else :wink: )

Valid point by both you and dondon. Let's see what happens.

Latest Threads