Site Logo - Your Views Please

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Bad CO, Dec 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Yes

2. No

0 vote(s)
  1. There has been an on and off discussion over a mascot for the site and we've been trying to get something going for a while. We came up with the idea of a 'Rum Rat' and I've approached an artist who has come up with the below. I'd be very grateful for you thoughts on it - my initial one is that we need to make it more 'Naval' but I'm not really sure how to do that. Perhaps a more naval hat or a white ensign??

Thanks for your thoughts .....

2. This is what a rum tub looks like:

3. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

The hat definitely has to change, looks like a bus conductor or customs officer confiscating the bloody Rum! Try a JR's 'sailors cap' and a traditional sailors collar? Bit of colour might help for definition, it's a tricky one eh! can't just slap a bit of camo on it and call it a soldier :lol:
  4. The guy who is doing this is even less naval than I am so I don't suppose you've got a picture of the sort of thing you have in mind? Is the image below wearing the right collar and cap?

What about the whole rum rat idea - is it worth persevering with? Do you think the image above can be modified sufficiently to achieve the desired result?
  5. Its the right collar and cap must be a tidier one somewhere.
    In my opinion it can, and others will say........................................
  6. Hes too skin,we need something like what Tugg would have drawn!
  7. I am in correspondance (OPPO) with DODGERLONG RNA who many moons ago was TOKES RN CARTOONIST

I will ask him to produce something (if willing which I am sure he will be) and post up his offering

Catch you soon

Jack McHammocklashing RO9
  8. Agree with andym a bit of a Tugg effort is need here

A junior rates cap looking a bit beat up
    Beer gut
    Lost look in his eyes
    8 shirt with a couple of rips in it
  9. If we are going to have a photograph of a sailor (like the one above) lets have an up to date one with the cap flat on the head (not at an angle). Nostalgia is one thing but let's not hark back to the past too much.

Having a pic of the cap at an angle is the naval equivalent of, say, having a pic of a soldier wearing the old style tin helmet.
  10. The front cover of '' Jackspeak'' Tugg cartoon says it all.
  11. Don't forget that Tugg passed over the bar about 2 months ago...
  12. Hmm... The logo should represent the professionalism and high standards of the service, whether you ex-serving members think they still exist or not.

I know it should also represent the lighter, wilder side of Naval life but please let's make it modern and relevant and not a throwback to a largely irrelevant age.

[Waits for old duffers to start rant.... :lol: ]
  13. I would normally agree with Clouseau, but this isn't a 2SL-sponsored site! I like the rum rat idea, only in colour with a JRs cap and No 1s collar. If you're going to be technical about not harking back a bit, then rum shouldn't even be involved!
  14. Nothing wrong with the rat - looks fun!... Just don't make it a picture/cartoon of some half pissed, scruffy, attitude ridden matlot from a by-gone age!

Weekend looms closer.....
  15. This is what we need...would be a tribute to Tugg also...

16. Good pic, how ever, does need the Tugg touch. Maybe contact LMEM Atkinsion (hms albion). He has just drawn a cartoon for Princess Anne, also sketches of all jokes/dits from the last deployment. He would do it as a privilidge as well i expect. :wink:
  17. Thanks a lot for all your suggestions - needless to say we aren't going to be able to make everyone happy! Our intent is to create something similar to the ARRSE Mr Potatohead i.e humorous and relevant whilst instantly recognisable.

1. If someone does know a cartoonist (LMEM Atkinson) who could do something suitable then please get in touch with us by email - [email protected].

2. If people have better images of the appropriate clothing for a sailor then please email/post them on here so I can send them to the cartoonist.

Above all, please remember that I'm a pongo trying to get a civvy (albeit one from Guz) to do this so need all the assistance that I can get!
  18. Might I suggest we try either Atkinson or Dodgeralong. I agree that ideally Jack should have a JR's lid, a tiddly collar and a bit of a beer gut - to be authentic. Losing the Rum Tub seems a bit churlish given that this site is called Rum Ration - I personally think it would be a good idea (and more memorable) to include a Rum Tub in the cartoon rather than modernise it too much. If we modernise it we might end up having a matelot holding a mobile to his ear during his Passing Out Parade, with a fag in his mouth and different coloured socks (one called Jack and the other Jill?)! :wink: :lol:
  19. Why do I get a mental image of ET(WE) Pooley? :D
  20. I like this one too, but there are copyright issues, especially as we want to use our logo on our own merchantise - like tee-shirts.