sit ups/press ups in medical

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by werqpr, Nov 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How many sit ups/press ups if any, are you expected to do in the pre joining medical?
  2. When i had my pre joining medical, there was no sit ups/press ups involved.
  3. When have you got your medical?
  4. 2 weeks tuesday
  5. I had mine in September just gone, don't worry theres definately no situps/pressups involved. Perhaps your getting confused with the fitness test at Raleigh when you have to do so many in a set period.
  6. what exactly did your medical involve??
  7. I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to say exactly, but they ask your familys medical history, weigh you and take measurements. Hope that helps.
  8. yeah sweet, thanks for the help, but not sure why you can't say what was involved????
  9. lol because it's more than likely classified. No worries by the way. What are you joining as?
  10. You will be told to do a few press ups and sit ups at your medical just so the doctor can see that you are capable of doing a press up and sit up, its not a fitness test. You will probably be told 'thats ok' after one or two.
  11. Wrong. There are no physical test during the medical.
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It depends on the Medical Examiner. There is certainly no mandatory requirement to undertake any physical activity however different Examiners have different methods of checking your musculo-skeletal condition. Some may ask you to complete a sit-up, others simply ask you to touch your toes to check flex.

The reason many people ask what's involved in the medical is because they have reason to fear a drugs test. After the recent drugs incident on an operational warship, 100% of New Entrants are now screened for drugs.
  13. Well I've done 4 medicals and thats what happened for all of them.

Expect to be asked to do some either way, even though he may not as Ninja said there are other ways to check.
  14. 4 medicals, seems like alot to me, if you dont mind me asking why was knocked back?
  15. Entry / exit of RAF

Entry / exit of Army

5th one to come next month lol
  16. Oh splendid!

Another expert.
  17. I had a medical on Weds and had to do 5 press up's. There were 12 potential RN recruits in the waiting room and they had to do the same.
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Ah, what is commonly termed a serial or terminal applicator. :thumright:
  19. I'm expecting to have to sit a medical soon - I've had my eye test, no need to worry about drugs, not got diabetes or asthma. What is the acceptable BMI range?

I'm currently at BMI of 25/6 as a result of putting on a lot of weight at uni (haha) but have finally got back into regular running/rugby and expect to lose more weight soon. I'm hoping I can put off the medical purely to give me a bit more time until new year!

20. Hello This is a bit of info i got from the Royal Navy website hope it helps.

Pre-Joining Fitness Test (PJFT) All new Royal Navy Rating recruits are required to pass the Pre-Joining Fitness Test (PJFT) prior to being accepted for training into the Royal Navy. This will be a stamina, (aerobic), based fitness assessment, which will consist of a 2.4 km, (1.5 mile), run on a treadmill in a civilian fitness centre. The purpose of this test is to ensure that you are prepared for Phase One training and the standards to be achieved are shown in the table below. However, you should note that the PJFT standards are the maximum times allowed for entry into the Royal Navy. You will find training easier and more enjoyable if you can do better than these times. (The PJFT also requires height and weight to be measured).

The Pre-Joining Fitness Test (PJFT) (2.4 Km (1.5 mile) aerobic fitness run) Age Male - PJFT Female - PJFT
    15 - 24 12 min 20 secs 14 min 35 secs
    25 - 29 12 min 48 secs 15 min 13 secs
    30 - 34 13 min 18 secs 15 min 55 secs
    35 - 39 13 min 49 secs 16 min 40 secs

It is hoped that as a result of passing this test, you will be more confident about your fitness and hence more likely to successfully complete Phase One training. You will be provided with further details of when and where the assessment can be taken by your Armed Forces Careers Office upon successful completion of the RN selection tests.