Sir Patrick Moore dies aged 89

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Ageing_Gracefully, Dec 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

BBC News - Sir Patrick Moore, astronomer and broadcaster, dies aged 89

Sir Patrick Moore, astronomer, broadcaster, presenter and educator has died aged 89.

I will miss his lugubrious mug on the box telling us about the stars in a way that was entertaining, educational and compelling viewing.

RIP to an old RAF Bomber Command Navigator 1940-1945.
  2. Sad News RIP Sir Pony Moore

Every turn of the shaft is a new adventure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. Yes sad passing, One less of the old school, R.I.P
  4. RIP. a very informative and entertaining gentleman,
  5. He could knock out a mean tune on the xylophone as well. RIP old man
  6. RIP.Never missed it as a child.Got staying up late to watch it.
  7. I'll miss his inimitable dress sense and the monocle, not many genuine eccentrics around nowadays. R.I.P.
  8. I met Sir Patrick Moore at Jodrell Bank about eight years ago - he was such a lovely man to chat to.
    R.I.P Patrick, good night, God bless.

9. What wrecker said.RIP Sir Patrick
  10. Agree with all the above, in particular...

RIP Sir Patrick Moore.
  11. A bit like my first session in the fleetwork trainer at Mercury
  12. I remember with fondness his broadcasts during NASA's Apollo moon landings.

I'm sure he influenced me to muck about with science and all that sort of stuff.

13. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

When you say muck about with science, do you mean, "Ring the OEM when the kit breaks"?
    Back on thread, I thought he was older than that. He has seemed really old for years. But yes, an entertaining, proper English, old school, eccentric loon. RIP.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Must admit I thought he was about 89 when I first saw him as a kid in the 60s.
  15. RIP Sir, who's the new kid on the block? Forget his name but seems like a good successor to Sir Patrick.
  16. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

As an astrologer, you'd have thought he would've predicted his own death, wouldn't you?
  17. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

There was a brilliant quote from him on radio 2 this morning, it was a clip from an interview with Zig and Zag, they called him an astrologer, then when he pointed out trhat he was actually an astronomer, they asked him to explain the difference; "Astronomy is a science whereas astrology proves just one thing: that there is one born every minute", brilliant!
  18. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

19. Sad indeed and yes he could play the xylophone or more technically a Glockenspiel. He wrote a concerto for glockenspeil which he wanted performed by the symphony orchestra I was playing in ( hey I'm a drummer and I was sh*gging the banjo player at the time) ... he tipped up at rehersals many a time and like a true "percussion player" liked a wet or two ... he even tipped up and played it in one of the performances ... On of lifes eccentrics' but a true gentleman but also one who would didn't take to fools gladly and was quite happy to beat you to death with the bat! I shall certainly miss him!
  20. Rest In Peace Patrick , you gave so much joy to us all.