Sir Patrick Moore dies aged 89

sweetpea

Lantern Swinger
I met Sir Patrick Moore at Jodrell Bank about eight years ago - he was such a lovely man to chat to.
R.I.P Patrick, good night, God bless.

SP.

The Sky at Night was one of those geek shows. I never had a clue what it was on about, but you kept watching.

I always had a picture of Patrick in my head when reading Dirk Pitt books and the character St. Julien P
erlmutter.
A bit like my first session in the fleetwork trainer at Mercury

I remember with fondness his broadcasts during NASA's Apollo moon landings.

I'm sure he influenced me to muck about with science and all that sort of stuff.

RIP

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I remember with fondness his broadcasts during NASA's Apollo moon landings.

I'm sure he influenced me to muck about with science and all that sort of stuff.

RIP
When you say muck about with science, do you mean, "Ring the OEM when the kit breaks"?
Back on thread, I thought he was older than that. He has seemed really old for years. But yes, an entertaining, proper English, old school, eccentric loon. RIP.

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
There was a brilliant quote from him on radio 2 this morning, it was a clip from an interview with Zig and Zag, they called him an astrologer, then when he pointed out trhat he was actually an astronomer, they asked him to explain the difference; "Astronomy is a science whereas astrology proves just one thing: that there is one born every minute", brilliant!

Sad indeed and yes he could play the xylophone or more technically a Glockenspiel. He wrote a concerto for glockenspeil which he wanted performed by the symphony orchestra I was playing in ( hey I'm a drummer and I was sh*gging the banjo player at the time) ... he tipped up at rehersals many a time and like a true "percussion player" liked a wet or two ... he even tipped up and played it in one of the performances ... On of lifes eccentrics' but a true gentleman but also one who would didn't take to fools gladly and was quite happy to beat you to death with the bat! I shall certainly miss him!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Miscellaneous 0
C Current Affairs 53
hammockhead Current Affairs 14