Sir Ludovic Kennedy RIP

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by trelawney126, Oct 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RIP Sir Ludovic Kennedy

2. Farewell fellow humanist.

3. Ludovic Kennedy was one TV personality who actually did good for his fellow man. RIP

4. Throughout my life, I have been intrigued by the number of highly respected and influential people, particularly broadcasters and actors, who served with distinction in the Royal Navy during the Second World War. Sir Ludovic Kennedy was a shining example but the list also includes Sir Peter Scott (son of Scott of the Antarctic), Richard Baker OBE, Lord Olivier, Sir Ralph Richardson, Sir Alec Guinness, Jon Pertwee, Patrick Troughton, Harry H. Corbett, the Duke of Edinburgh, Sir William Golding, Sir Donald Gosling and Sir John Harvey-Jones.

Their numbers are dwindling fast and we are all the poorer for it. RIP Sir Ludovic.

5. I remember the BBC documentary he made, many years ago, on sinking the Bismarck. Balanced and brilliant.

A sad loss to serious television, radio and literature.

6. One of those people you would never be bored listening to, rest in peace Sir.

7. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Let's add Kenneth More to your list, Gazer.

8. Seaweed

Oh and add Peter Bull who was in LC(G) & (F)s etc in the Med.

9. Im always asking questions.Is this THE Patrick Troughton,MY Dr Who

10. Kitty - Indeed it is (Wiki link):

11. N-G well now I know why he was the best Doctor,although David comes close.Gosh he was good looking and Navy to boot

12. In World War II, he served as a lieutenant in the Royal Navy, seeing active service aboard the cruiser HMS Aurora and the aircraft carrier HMS Victorious, returning to acting in 1946.

13. Before we all get hung, drawn and quartered for straying off topic, Jon Pertwee (Troughton's successor as Dr. Who) was another WWII Royal Naval Officer:

"....spending some time working in naval intelligence during the Second World War. He was a crew member of HMS Hood and was transferred off the ship shortly before she was sunk, losing all but three men.

It was during his time in the Navy that Jon woke up one morning after a drunken night out while in port to find a tattoo on his right arm, which was occasionally seen during his time in Doctor Who."

14. Seaweed

The late Captain James Pertwee was Jon P's cousin but one discovered that "What does it matter what you do as long as you tear 'em up" did not play well in the cuddy. (Youngsters note that was a Jon P catch phrase from steam radio).

15. Well he has gone up in my estimation,he was always a bit airy fairy for me as the doctor.But fair play.But I still loveTroughton