Sir Edmund Hillary RIP

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by beltfedwombat, Jan 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the Foreword of his autobiography, 'Nothing Venture, Nothing Win'

The heoes I admired in my youth seemed to possess abilities and virtues beyond the grasp of ordinary men. My desire to emulate them was very great but I never succeeded in approaching their high standards. Fearful at heart in moments of danger, I found it difficult to produce the calm courage of the heroic mould. Having a certain rude strength, I lacked the quickness of hand and eye of the natural athelete. Well meaning enough and with a desire to help, I made few sacrifices in noble causes.
    I discovered that even the mediocre can have adventures and even the fearful can achieve. In a sense fear became a friend - I hated it at the time but it added spice to the challenge and satisfaction to the conquest. I envied those who in success clung to a measure of peace and tranquillity - I was always too restless and life was a constant battle against boredom. But the compensations have been great - certainly more than I deserve. I had the world lie beneath my clumsy boots and saw the red sun slip over the horizon after the dark Antarctic winter. I have been given more than my fair share of excitement, beauty, laughter and friendship.

Fairwell to a true gentleman. Sir Edmund Hillary 1919 - 2008

2. I still think of him as a handsome mountaineer. I was shocked that he was so old and had just died.

RIP sir.

3. RIP Sir Edmund , :salut: :salut: :salut: