Sinus Problems

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by inthenavy, Aug 25, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am looking to join the navy yet I have a few queries regarding sinus problems. I'm just going to be blunt with it because I don't want to go through the application process only to be told no. I want to join as a marine engineer officer and have done since I was about 13.

I suffer from sinus issues and have since I was about 12 (I am 19 now). These issues include an allergy to dust, causing rhinitis which leaves me unable to breathe through my nose which means my sinuses get infected a lot. I had an MRI scan when I was 15 which showed nasal polyps too. I've had all manner of antibiotics and steroid sprays and none seem to fix it at all and I usually have sinus headaches and blood. This all runs in the family too:( so it looks like I'm stuck with it.

However this does not affect my running/strength so maybe that means it's ok? I hope so! I'm fit and healthy in every other aspect and I've wanted to join the navy for ages and read somewhere that sinus issues can impair your chances so I got worried. I'm not trying to do a sob story, I just think it's best not to lie about anything!

Many thanks for any info!:)