Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sinking the Bismarck

Waspie

War Hero
I was privileged to be allowed to read a piece of an electricians writings of what he recalled of the raid on the Bismark. He was a Chief serving on the Exeter. It told of him being 'dogged' into his compartment whilst the attack took place. He described how the buklhead bowed after a shell struck. How his exit above him was blocked as the deck above was awash in fuel and ablaze. His thoughts about not surviving.

Very thought provoking.

2badge_mango

War Hero
A great story, and a well deserved celebration. Those of my generation will have served with many like Bert, heard their stories and gained great respect for them. I once served with Ted Briggs, one of the three survivors of the Hood, when he had been commissioned and was doing OOW duties at Mercury. He didn't say much (to me) about his experiences which I wasn't aware of at the time, but came across as a really nice bloke, full of consideration for others, regardless of rank or rating.
When I was drafted, pre-commissioning, to Bulwark in '54, my travelling companion and subsequent room mate in Belfast was a three badge killick steward. I sat alongside him watching "The war at sea" on television, and the film showed the sinking of HMS Barham. When she turned turtle and stayed for a brief period as just an upturned hull on the surface of the Med, he took a sharp intake of breath and then wept quietly. He had been, at the time, on the after end of HMS Warspite when the film was taken.

As a young lad then, you just accepted these things and didn't ask questions, but I wish I had.

2BM

A

angrydoc

I hope that when I'm 100 I'm cool enough to be able to celebrate with a curry!

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
A while ago I was telephoned by a stranger about a genealogical matter. As he went through his data he suddenly said 'Belay that'. He ended up telling me how he escaped from the Fittleton when she sank, including how in his confusion he was swimming along the hull in the wrong direction until he realised he had to follow the bubbles upwards. And how the stoker who was with him got out, but drowned.

It's only this year that a cousin of my father's, now aged 92, told me how the Lawford got sunk on D-Day. Many years ago we met him and his family on a beach in Devon and he had scar tissue all over his back. But one mustn't ask.

Bunter

Badgeman
My uncle (92) was in the Merchant Navy during the war and only very recently has begun to tell us of what he did as a radio officer. He had two ships torpedoed underneath him, but the story that sticks in my mind was very soon after D Day he was on an ammunition ship that was docked at an improvised jetty - I suppose before the Mulberry Harbours were set up. There was a German tank on a headland that was firing shells at them, but very badly, thank Heaven. As unloading the ammunition began a shell from the tank finally hit the ship, but as luck would have it it struck in just about the only place where there wasn't any explosives. But it holed the ship which settled gently onto the sea floor, only about ten feet lower. My uncle thought that discretion was the better part of valour at this point and just walked off the deck onto the jetty.
All the guys that serve under hostile conditions have my greatest respect.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Only surviving Swordfish pilot: "Sinking the Bismarck" The Fleet Air Arm 4
soleil May 27th 1941 - Sinking of the Bismarck History 3
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp On this day in 1912: The sinking of RMS Titanic History 3
MoD_RSS Two people rescued from sinking sailing vessel MoD News 0
Wreckmasterjay New book - Collision in the Night: The Sinking of HMS Duchess The Book Club 0
P Guardian article on the sinking of HMS Sheffield - for what it's worth History 2
Wreckmasterjay HMS Duchess sinking 1939 History 4
MichaelBully1 HMS Hampshire sinking centenary 5th June 2016 History 3
MoD_RSS News story: The 75th anniversary of the sinking of HMT Lancastria MoD News 0
Tomahawk Apparently the sinking of the General Belgrano caused the Falklands War Current Affairs 11
soleil BBC World Service - Witness - May 2nd 2014 - The Sinking Of The Belgrano History 1
S Islanders mark sinking of HMS Charybdis and HMS Limbourne History 0
Seaweed Atlantic convoys, and the sinking of the Haguro History 0
trelawney126 Turbulent cleared of Trawler Sinking Submariners 9
MoD_RSS Royal Navy teams help prevent tug sinking MoD News 4
TeddyT That Sinking Feeling: Iran’s Anti-Ship Missile Array Current Affairs 11
I HMS Egret - First Sinking by Luftwaffe Guided Weapon - 27 August 1943 History 6
trelawney126 Rat wants to Join Sinking Ship Diamond Lil's 4
soleil BBC: "Service Marks HMS Ardent Sinking" History 0
soleil BBC: "HMS Sheffield Survivor Recalls Horror Of Sinking" History 0
soleil Coventry Telegraph: "Sinking Of HMS Coventry To Be Made Into Cinema Film" History 22
soleil BBC Berkshire:"Newbury Remembers The Sinking Of HMS Tigris 68 Years On" Submariners 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp U-156 & the sinking of the Laconia History 24
S The Sinking of the Royal Oak History 0
Scouse_Castaway S Korean Naval Sinking..............North Korea to Blame Current Affairs 15
soleil Arran Banner: "The Sinking of HMS Dasher" History 23
D RN/RFA Ships sinking History 5
Ja5on Mafia have been sinking ships Current Affairs 0
The_Jimmy WW2 Sinking of HMAS SYDNEY (2) Final Report History 0
L Sinking of the Belgian SS LEOPOLDVILLE History 0
soleil Sinking of HMS Thetis History 1
soleil Sinking of HMS Poseidon 1931 - secret salvage op? History 0
Maxi_77 Is The Ship Sinking Current Affairs 14
D Last survivor of Hood sinking dies Current Affairs 26
seafruit help im a sinking ship! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
5dits Submarine 'caused' sinking of French trawler Current Affairs 16
angry_mac Anniversary of Sheff sinking Current Affairs 13
F TURBULENCE around French Trawler sinking story Current Affairs 6
Shakey British subs linked to trawler sinking. Current Affairs 21
andym Sinking? Diamond Lil's 7
mikh Bismarck Folly The Book Club 0
scouse Bismarck Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 2
D Bismarck battle honour. History 6
scouse Bismarck receiving first torpedo.rare photos The Fleet Air Arm 3
Ageing_Gracefully Bismarck: The story of German's greatest Battleship The Book Club 0