Sink the Bismark

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by seafarer1939, Jul 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In the making of the filmâ€Sink the Bismark†it showed the loading drill of , I assume, 14â€/15†or maybe 12†guns.
    As a GA2 and not a QA2 at the time[1960.when the film was made] I'm not sure which.
    To my knowledge at that time I saw only two Battleships around mothballed.
    HMS Vanguard sold for scrap 1960 so it may have been her or the HMS King George V scrapped 58/59 so the scenes may have been shot in her gun bays.
    KGV had 14†Vanguard had 15â€.
    Just wondered as someone will know.

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

According to the message boards on Internet Movie Database:

Incidentally...

3. What twadle. It was never released as a documentary plus forgetting the financial constraints as well as available old film to use.
    Like all movies, it has to have a certain amount of drama to keep the audience entertained.

I suppose that he/she put it in Wiki so they could remain anonymous.

4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Calm down, NMC - it's just a film!! You'll be telling me that the Yanks never recovered the Enigma machine from U-571 next... :shock: :twisted:

5. That is brilliant, I watched that movie as well, god there was some swearing in our house that night.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Well that's answered that!cheers

7. Sink the Bismark is on film 4 on Monday 31st (afternoon), repeated again on Tuesday... if anyone is interested.

8. sink the bismarck script

I just read the exchange between Sgtpepperband and NotmeChief.While these days a lot more info is around so it's easy to pick out mistakes,when the film was made much less was available and relatively few people were knowledgeable enough to notice errors.I did find the script had a naiive quality in places - naval officers would have been using the 24-hour clock and not making such silly mistakes as (at the end) "9 o'clock,how about dinner?.....Good heavens it's 9 o'clock in the morning!" ,and the 1st Sea Lord would not have been asking "Where is Kristiansand?" Admittedly this was probably put in for the benefit of the audience but it could have been put across in other ways.All the same,such gripes do border on nit-picking considering the age of the film,which I still regard as one of the best naval war films, for effects especially,and is certainly far better than modern computerized battle scenes,with unconvincing fire,smoke and explosions.Today's movie makers could learn a lot from films like this.