Single parents 'must find work'

Passed-over_Loggie said:
I still can't reconcile this with the clamour to keep children in education for longer. Perhaps if the less academically gifted ones could start pay earning employment sooner, there would be less pressure on the parents. I'm sure there are some social manipulators out there who would be happy to keep young people in full time education until age 18 while their parents can't retire until 70.

Sorry for the incipient rant and Thread drift.
Ah yes thread drift is not that popular in Current Affairs, but in this case legit becaus clearly keeping kids at school longer has an impact on single parents.

From my own point of view I think from the age of 15 the choice should be school or approved practical or workbased training, ie tech college or apprenticeship. The non school option should only be able to those who have passed a basic test in reading riting and rithmetic. This would give the non academic blighters an incentive to achieve basic standards, and ensure if they took the training option they may be capable of being trained.

Maxi_77

I can see the merit in that but would it actually work? It would need discipline and I'm not sure the kids in that category will be particularly strong in that area. I imagine this voice, "with attitude", saying something like; " me uncle Wayne can't read and aint got no qualifications and 'e does all right. I'll just sod about until they have to let me go". I think we still need to get some discipline instilled if anyone is to progress anywhere.

That said, I'd support the broad idea.

As a single mum on benefits at the moment, the only back to work scheme I would support is for thoses who chose to return to work in their old jobs OR the chance to retrain ( as I'm doing and never would have had the chance had benefits not been in place).

By the time I've finished at Uni ( were I will not be entitled to claim any benefits) I will be contrubuting far more in the way of taxes etc than I would have done had I gone back to work in my previous job

To follow on from Lingy's comments, it would also help if employment law was more accommodating to people with disabilities who would like to work but are forced to exist on benefits because employers cannot handle the problems caused by unpredictable and chronic ill-health. The problem is when you are well enough to work most of the week but too ill to work part of the week and have no idea on a day by day basis what your state of health will be even six hours ahead. :mad: More flexibility with HMG compensating employers for any losses would get more people in work & off benefits.

A similar arrangement should be available for single parents who have become single parents through no fault of their own. Single people who elect to have children without the means to support them however should have the children taken into care and then the ex-parents could be forced to work and have part of the cost to the taxpayer of their chosen actions met by income deduction. A single mum in this position must also be obliged to name the father (& in the event of dispute, the state should pay for genetic paternity testing) and he must be forced to contribute towards the cost. If she refuses disclosure or does not know who the father is through reckless conduct, any remaining benefits should be immediately withdrawn, on the basis that her actions amount to defrauding the taxpayer.

slim

War Hero
Unfortunately Steve many of these absent fathers are on benefits themselves so will never pay towards their off springs upkeep. As many of these have also fathered more than one child by more than one women I am in favour of compulsory sterilisation.

slim said:
Unfortunately Steve many of these absent fathers are on benefits themselves so will never pay towards their off springs upkeep. As many of these have also fathered more than one child by more than one women I am in favour of compulsory sterilisation.
Equally many of these absent fathers do work and avoid paying by various means some more unpleasant than others. Of course the proportion of their pay that is extracted has to be reasonable unlike some of the cock ups perpetrated by the CSA.

flatbackpinky

Lantern Swinger
Well done WW at least you have the determination to try to provide a better life for you and you kid / kids I believe you are in the majority but it is only marginally the majority of single parents who believe as you seem to and I do not begrudge a penny of my taxes to those who are prepared to work at improving their lives as our generation of children will be the ones supporting us in old age and the more with positive role models can only benefit society in the long run.

mikh

MIA
Just one question- where will all these jobs come from.

This is just another half baked idea that has no chance of success. Badly thought out and will be badly implemented (if it ever gets that far) and it will come to a bad end. The sooner we have a general election the better, christ the green party could do better than the lot we have now.

mikh said:
Maybe all the eastern europeans will be shipped back, and their minimum wage jobs given to the spongeing tw*ts on benefits.

Or maybe not..... :neutral:

slim

War Hero
JunglyDaz said:
mikh said:
Maybe all the eastern europeans will be shipped back, and their minimum wage jobs given to the spongeing tw*ts on benefits.

The reason that the Eastern Europeans get these jobs in the first place is because those on benefits will not do them. They are better off on benefits :evil:

slim said:
JunglyDaz said:
mikh said:

The reason that the Eastern Europeans get these jobs in the first place is because those on benefits will not do them. They are better off on benefits :evil:
Exactly my point. Maybe we should ship off the spongers and keep the loyal hard working Eastern Europeans? :wink:

slim

War Hero
The idea of free holidays in Eastern Europe certainly appeals to me. We could sell it to the Chavs as an all inclusive 5* holiday. When they arrive they will be taken to old nissen huts and given work details. If they complain that they expected five star treatment it can then be explained that it was, however the five stars could be seen through the ceiling.

slim said:
The idea of free holidays in Eastern Europe certainly appeals to me. We could sell it to the Chavs as an all inclusive 5* holiday. When they arrive they will be taken to old nissen huts and given work details. If they complain that they expected five star treatment it can then be explained that it was, however the five stars could be seen through the ceiling.
Surely 5* to a Chav means it has a sink AND a toilet?