Single parents 'must find work'

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by slim, Mar 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well I suppose it's a start. My daughter is a single parent with three kids, two of preschool age, eldest is 8 youngest 18 months. She has never been out of work, though without tax credits she most certainly could not work without these as child minding is too expensive. She finds that working and being a single parent difficult and tiring but would have it no other way. With tax credits being available I fail to see why single mothers can object to work.
  2. Slin, I believe that your daughter is one of many who tries desperately to make ends meet and should be congratulated for her efforts. However this is yet another attempt by 'Bliar and co' to try and win votes in the upcoming elections. I agree with the sentiment, but most single parents are not going to give up benefits provided by the working people of this country. Now, if they could retain the 'goodies' and work to bring-in extra dosh perhaps the incentive might allow some of the workshy to consider putting something back into the pot, but I feel a Labour govt hasn't got the bottle to take on the 4 million or so who benefit from the handouts.
  3. I question the legitimacy of retaining the goodies whilst working?
    While my daughter is working it could be construed that she is also on benefits (Tax credits).
    Seems to me to be ridiculous taxing people then returning the cash as tax credits, Why not take a step backwards and give people tax allowances at source, the way we used to get child allowance and Mortgage allowances. In fact it would be sensible to take out of the tax system completely all those on less than £12000 a year.
  4. Maybe some single parents want to bring up their own children, rather than have childminders do it?
  5. I have no problem at all with single parents bringing up their own children, so long as they use their own money to do it and not my taxes. :evil:
    Having children also should bring responsibilities. Shouldering the state with these responsibilities is not in my eyes being a responsible parent

Standing by for incoming.
  6. As a single parent myself i couldnt agree more that more singlr parents should be out and work and being less on a drain on the public purse. I manage it so why cant others ? The only benefit i claim is child benefit and refuse to claim the others as i can get by without them. I am determined for my child see a positive role model who is determined to get on in life without someone else picking up the tab for my choice to have a child. As has been said with child come responsibilities and if you cant deal with them the answer is simple DONT HAVE KIDS .
  7. As a working single parent it must be difficult for you. I believe though that if you are entitled to other benefits you should claim them. Getting by without them is OK however you are working and paying into the system unlike many who only take out.
  8. What about those that were in relationships that broke up post natal? Don't get me wrong, I have problems with picking up the tab for some 17 yr old tart that got shagged behind a bike shed, but some single parents can't help being divorced.
  9. Unlike some i pay my way and believe you should only take from the system if
    A, you have paid in and are then entitled

B, The benefits are there to help if you really need them if they will pay for luxuries you should not claim them

These are fundemental beliefs of mine and if claimed out of greed instead of need then in my eyes I would be a hypocrite . The one thing my parents and my time in the mob has taught me is the only thing that is worth anything and can never be taken away is self respect.
  10. Jungly I am not against paying benefits to single parents only that they should try their hardest to get of them whether that be work or education . benefits should be a safety net not a way of life
  12. The benefit system is currently skewed in favour of not working. Until, or unless it pays more to work than to sit at home and claim benefit, the so-called workshy have no impetus to join the workers and contribute to society.

The feckless are not the majority, but they are expensive. How many people know someone who has always claimed benefit but works in the black economy, contributing nothing? I'm of council house stock and the number of families where it has become the norm not to work, but still have all the trappings of a comfortable lifestyle, like cars, satellite TV, meals out etc must make folks who don't live in a "welfare state" laugh out loud.
  13. My daughter is in exactly that situation. Her ex husband supports the children finacially as part of the divorce settlement (not even enough to pay for childcare).
    So what of it?
  14. Slim

I couldn't agree more, but this Chancellor has made hie reputation by introducing numerous 'credits' that are now accepted as the norm, which incidently, have created 10000's of relatively worthless jobs for people who have to administer the endless paperwork - just look at the CSA system that has squandered billions!
  15. Dont get me started on the csa ffs
  16. If I had my way the only benefits would go to old people and cripples.
  17. That's no way to talk about the WO&SRs Mess in Nelson mate. :oops: :grin:
  18. the only problem with that ling is you believe that most people are mentally crippled by virtue of their own stupidity so our tax bill would actually increase
  19. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  20. I still can't reconcile this with the clamour to keep children in education for longer. Perhaps if the less academically gifted ones could start pay earning employment sooner, there would be less pressure on the parents. I'm sure there are some social manipulators out there who would be happy to keep young people in full time education until age 18 while their parents can't retire until 70.

Sorry for the incipient rant and Thread drift.