Single Living Accommodation, its negative effects

Chaz

MIA
the_matelot said:
Chaz said:
the_matelot said:
Chaz said:
Perhaps its you! I've been in various tri-service enviroments for over 7 years now and the comradeship has been superb throughout.

Quite possibly however I should state that I'm currently in a non branch billet and CT's would never normally work with them.

If you mean CT's not working with RAF? Afraid not. The RAF do work alongside RN CT's.

Eh? I never said they didn't. I am a CT after all! What I said was the RAF trade that I currently work with never usually work with RN CT's.

The word TRADE wasn't used first time round. Apologies

SELJUK

War Hero
Chaz said:
Northwood has had single cabins for all rates for about years now, its currently being replace with more up to date stuff. At least with a single cabin you can't blame someone else for the 'shite' being everywhere!!!

The JR's accom at Northwood does include large communal TV rooms with Sky etc which is a good idea, your not totally cut off from your oppos if you choose not to be.
Chaz,
the killicks cabins in Mohawk block were a godsend. The four man messes were also excellent. Has this all been domolished now. The new wardroom was being built when I was there and it was causing a lot of nause because all the officers were going to be dragged back on board to live in. In the end though inboard rounds and over officious crushers drove me to seek accomodation ashore. Four of us found a house in Money Hill Road Rickmansworth and what a move that was and the rest is history. Party party party!
I have to say Northwood was one of my top two shore drafts during my time in the Mob

lsadirty

War Hero
When I came back to Guzz in 72 from the 3rd Division North, us submariners were in an 8 man grot in DRAKE where we were all SM 2 spare crew, and were happy with it and each other: if I was still in now and was offered a personal mess of my own, I probably wouldn't like it - any mess deck life is better than none at all - ask anyone who served in the 50/60s - progress isn't necessarily a good thing.

War Hero
the_matelot said:
you should try working with the RAF-never have I experienced such a low level of comradeship.

You want to try being OC when 70% of the people are RAF....

Actually no, you don't.

Technically they were all excellent, I had no complaints about them actually doing the day job.....

jumpertucker

Midshipman
people who say the Navy is a great place to work and then put how long til they get outside on their posts seem confused to me and as for those who claim to work in joint service environments i wonder if its shop floor or office work as i can assure you the experience is different, how many of you actually live in 4 man rooms now, yes we all did once but would a change in policy actually affect those posting their opinions.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
janner said:
dunkers said:
Right... here goes my attempt to start a thread of vague interest to RR members... as opposed to the current 3 threads listed on the front page regarding gayness, another handful of threads pulled off the BBC news "celebrity" pages and the odd bone newbie question asked out of idle curiosity not genuine desire to know the answer........

As we all know, shoreside accommodation for junior rates is moving towards being single cabins for all (standfast Raleigh recruit school). I think the renewal of accommodation is a good thing, there still exist some shitholes of accommodation that nobody likes. However, that which does exist is often messdeck accom eg 4 man messes. This is about to die out, so I put it to you, what effect is this going to have? Everyone in single cabins when ashore, will it kill off another aspect of "naval ethos" (to use the staff phrase). I'm talking about the general atmosphere of living with your oppos, the ability to deal with different characters to yourself, the teamwork it helps to foster.

So the RN is demolishing the shithole blocks as well it should but are the replacements, though very nice ensuite single cabins, going to have an unforseen bad effect.

Interestingly enough I hear the new SMQ block in Faslane is going to have 4-man messes for the trainees so it looks like it has been thought about.

Hopefully this will help provoke the kind of discussion RR was made for.

Dunkers, I'd be interested in your experience of these things ie. length of time on the trot spent in the different types of accomodation and its merits as against conditions found on the various types of ships you have served on?

BUMP

War Hero
dunkers said:
So the RN is demolishing the shithole blocks as well it should but are the replacements, though very nice ensuite single cabins, going to have an unforseen bad effect.

I odn't think the situation is as simple as the question suggests. We're seeing the average age of JR recruits increasing, as we bring in more mature and better educated people at the junior levels. With that I think there is an expectation of a very different living and working environment than in the past. There is also an increased likelihood that people will already be looking to live ashore, either in quarters or having made their own arrangements, when alongside.

LTCOOTB has already described the Weirdroom situation and to a great extent I'd agree, film nights with a reel-to-reel projector were a big deal, less so now. My first grot, after training in a 40 man messdeck, was an 8 man cabin, I had singles and shared doubles later in my career, ashore I had singles and suites at different times, but there was still a reasonably active social life. There were individuals who stayed in their cabins and made their own entertainment, but it didn't generally make them any less a part of the team.

Yes the change to single cabins changes the dynamic, and I think in practice it probably makes the transition into a messdeck a little more difficult each time it happens, but that's within an entire culture which is changing and evolving all the time. As illustrated above, how far back do you want to go?

Change happens.

CWNG

Lantern Swinger
SLA is one of the best things to come out of the NAVY for a long time (Maybe the new Type 45??).

When we all had our time in the larger mess decks shore side, we still had the guy that wanted to stay in and do his own thing. Its no different. Yes DVD/Mobile Phone/PS3/W ii and all the other stuff does make it easier for the average young sailor to become a hermit in his/her own room but isn't that up to their mates to sort them out?? Give them a knock if your going to the bar or going out down town. Be it a 40/8/4 man mess or a single cabin, if they don't want to party they wont.

SLA provides the independence that a lot of these boys and girls need. If they don't respect the accommodation then move them into a larger mess deck with evening rounds and get them to earn the chance to be placed in SLA again.

chieftiff

War Hero
jumpertucker said:
people who say the Navy is a great place to work and then put how long til they get outside on their posts seem confused to me and as for those who claim to work in joint service environments i wonder if its shop floor or office work as i can assure you the experience is different, how many of you actually live in 4 man rooms now, yes we all did once but would a change in policy actually affect those posting their opinions.

I assume that was a snide comment about my post:
chieftiff said:
Sadly this is now true, used to be a lifestyle but at some point, I'm not sure exactly when, it became just another job. Roll on next June.

I don't think you'll find a reference to how good the RN is or isn't in there, and I'm far from confused. As for the Joint environment I am currently in an office but a little less than 3 years ago I was doing the same sort of job you're doing now but on an RAF Squadron not too far from where you are ^~

I think SLAM is good, our people should have good accomodation, privacy en-suite et al, there is no doubt however that it has changed the nature of comraderie and not for the better. It is necessary, as you point out society has changed and the expectations of sailors have also changed.

ctfairway

Lantern Swinger
One advantage of SLAM not mentioned is the increased flexibility it gives to the accommodation manager. IE there is no need to nominate any room as male/female or even JR/SR or even officer/rating. All can be mixed together in the same block and any room used for any purpose. This means a much higher occupancy rate can be achieved therefore fewer rooms are needed.

Other thoughts are there is far less damage to rooms as there is clear accountability ie we know who is in each room and therefore who caused any damage.

Also wrt the "prefab" rooms at Northwood - they were built by Rollalong to the same standard as Travellodge. Certainly every JR I have spoken to in these rooms thinks they are the bees knees. Rollalong rent them to MoD and the number of rooms can easily be increased or decreased to match changing demand over time and the capital cost is "off balance sheet" leading to considerable savings in the budget . The decision to replace the awful old blocks used previously for JR accommodation was taken in January and the blocks were ready for occupation in November of the SAME year. Far far quicker than traditional build which take years.

Chaz

MIA
ctfairway said:
Also wrt the "prefab" rooms at Northwood - they were built by Rollalong to the same standard as Travellodge. Certainly every JR I have spoken to in these rooms thinks they are the bees knees. Rollalong rent them to MoD and the number of rooms can easily be increased or decreased to match changing demand over time and the capital cost is "off balance sheet" leading to considerable savings in the budget . The decision to replace the awful old blocks used previously for JR accommodation was taken in January and the blocks were ready for occupation in November of the SAME year. Far far quicker than traditional build which take years.

The such wonderful accom that you are referring too is now being replaced though some 6 years after the Rollalong was installed!

Latest Threads