Silent Cabinet .

I've become aware of an area referred to as a " silent cabinet " in a gun turret .
Can somebody please tell me who made use of it & what it was used for .
The reference is from the IWM book " The War at Sea : 1914-1918 " by Julian Thompson .

I've become aware of an area referred to as a " silent cabinet " in a gun turret .
Can somebody please tell me who made use of it & what it was used for .
The reference is from the IWM book " The War at Sea : 1914-1918 " by Julian Thompson .
From memory something like a fighting tech office, or what the MCR/SCC is to the engine rooms, AMRs, etc these days.

It's where the range-finding and fire control was done from in each turret. It was also far from silent (obviously, really, but was compartmentalised off from the rest of the turret so was a least a slightly more "sterile" space than the dirty bangy bit of the operation.

I think (I wasn't there I'm only 35...) that they also had Silent Cabinets in the W/T shacks too - where the morse boys could concentrate on sending/receiving without distraction.

Thank you for the answer . I have 14 books on the war at sea during WW1 & none refer to the " silent cabinet " - crazy , most noisy place on the warship .

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
brazenhussy The Quarterdeck 13
higthepig Diamond Lil's 1
H Submariners 2