Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Silent Cabinet .

PerryD

I've become aware of an area referred to as a " silent cabinet " in a gun turret .
Can somebody please tell me who made use of it & what it was used for .
The reference is from the IWM book " The War at Sea : 1914-1918 " by Julian Thompson .

I've become aware of an area referred to as a " silent cabinet " in a gun turret .
Can somebody please tell me who made use of it & what it was used for .
The reference is from the IWM book " The War at Sea : 1914-1918 " by Julian Thompson .
From memory something like a fighting tech office, or what the MCR/SCC is to the engine rooms, AMRs, etc these days.

It's where the range-finding and fire control was done from in each turret. It was also far from silent (obviously, really, but was compartmentalised off from the rest of the turret so was a least a slightly more "sterile" space than the dirty bangy bit of the operation.

I think (I wasn't there I'm only 35...) that they also had Silent Cabinets in the W/T shacks too - where the morse boys could concentrate on sending/receiving without distraction.

PerryD

Thank you for the answer . I have 14 books on the war at sea during WW1 & none refer to the " silent cabinet " - crazy , most noisy place on the warship .

Pierre77

Similar question. I'm reading "The Fighting at Jutland" [Fawcett, Hooper editors] and when reference is made to the cordite fire in Lion's Q turret they make numerous references to 'the silent cabinet'. Kinross has already stated that this was the rangefinder room. Plausible, but in 1916 were rangefinders placed above the turret? and why call it the 'silent cabinet'? Please could anyone explain whether 'the silent cabinet' was purely and simply the rangefinder room?

Great uncle was awarded the CGM after Jutland. We do not know which ship he was serving. We think he was a stoker, and we believe that he got the CGM for rescuing swimmers under enemy fire. But then: a stoker manning a whaler? That seems unlikely?

Last edited:

Waspie

War Hero
Similar question. I'm reading "The Fighting at Jutland" [Fawcett, Hooper editors] and when reference is made to the cordite fire in Lion's Q turret they make numerous references to 'the silent cabinet'. Kinross has already stated that this was the rangefinder room. Plausible, but in 1916 were rangefinders placed above the turret? and why call it the 'silent cabinet'? Please could anyone explain whether 'the silent cabinet' was purely and simply the rangefinder room?

Great uncle was awarded the CGM after Jutland. We do not know which ship he was serving. We think he was a stoker, and we believe that he got the CGM for rescuing swimmers under enemy fire. But then: a stoker manning a whaler? That seems unlikely?
Not so unlikely. I knew a chap who served in WW2, CPO Stoker. Awarded the French Croix de Guerre for his efforts. Too long a story for this. But, he also manned a whaler in Portlands saving of HMS Foylebank.

Also, even in my day 60's to 90's stokers often formed part of the Whaler crew. (An observation made after seeing many a helicopter picked out of the oggin by the seaboats crew!!!

Salty-Dog

Lantern Swinger
[/QUOTE]
@Pierre77 Have you tried searching on the London Gazette site? His Citation may be on there.

soleil

War Hero

What was his name?

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Auxiliary anti-aircraft ship HMS FOYLEBANK, including her construction as a merchant vessel and subsequent conversion detailing the installation of her radar systems and armaments, her posting to Portland in June 1940 and the attack on 4 July 1940 by Stuka dive bombers which resulted in her being sunk, the actions of Leading Seaman J F Mantle during the attack for which he was posthumously awarded the VC, the salvage during the war of her guns and in 1950 the final removal of the wreck from Portland.
Wiki’s ace!
BZ’s

Waspie

War Hero
Auxiliary anti-aircraft ship HMS FOYLEBANK, including her construction as a merchant vessel and subsequent conversion detailing the installation of her radar systems and armaments, her posting to Portland in June 1940 and the attack on 4 July 1940 by Stuka dive bombers which resulted in her being sunk, the actions of Leading Seaman J F Mantle during the attack for which he was posthumously awarded the VC, the salvage during the war of her guns and in 1950 the final removal of the wreck from Portland.
Hence why the S/R's mess at Portland was called the Foylebank Mess! The night the Foylebank was attacked was a dedicated mission by the Luftwaffe to remove it from the harbour. Leaving the dockyard and Whiteheads torpedo factory exposed. (NOT from Wiki).

Dusty70

War Hero
@Pierre77 Have you tried searching on the London Gazette site? His Citation may be on there.
[/QUOTE]
All seaboat crews had a stoker in them in case the engine stopped (70,s 80,s 90,s)

Waspie

War Hero
All seaboat crews had a stoker in them in case the engine stopped (70,s 80,s 90,s)
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the confirmation on that. I was beginning to have doubts or worse! (Age starting to creep in).

Dusty70

War Hero

Thanks for the confirmation on that. I was beginning to have doubts or worse! (Age starting to creep in).
[/QUOTE]
And.....................................a steward or off watch chef as first aider

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
And.....................................a steward or off watch chef as first aider
[/QUOTE]

Brocklesby 1960 at Portland, if the Captain had a bad lunch when day running, he would pipe the whaler away manned completely by the S & S Branch and drop them off outside the breakwater to row home. The only problem was that there was no easy way to raise the boat by the capstan (the only mechanical way) so lower deck was cleared to raise the whaler. Up went the cry of "Balls in hand chance of a life time."

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS World leaders pay tribute as nation falls silent to mark 75th anniversary of the end of the Second World War MoD News 0
MoD_RSS World leaders pay tribute as nation falls silent to mark the 75th anniversary of the end of the Second World War MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Nation falls silent to mark VE 75 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Strong but silent type of rig brings quieter roadworks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Company director pays cost of staying silent in waste investigation MoD News 0
Knotty The Silent War (BBC4 Tue 18 Sept 2018) Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 12
soleil Secret and Silent: Conference (15/16th June 2018) and Exhibition Submariners 0
Mr_Gillette Some questions on MAs, Open University, and the Silent Service Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
Ageing_Gracefully Book Comp: DEAD SILENT by Mark Roberts Competitions 13
S Coleymore Silent Protest Diamond Lil's 4
soleil Mail: "Silent Cities Of Sacrifice: Battlefields Where You Can Mark 100 Yrs Since WW1" History 4
soleil BBC2 - Thursday, Dec 5th 2013 - 21:00 - The Silent War: Know Your Enemy Submariners 75
MaiBelle Who are the silent majority? Diamond Lil's 119
SONAR-BENDER BBC's Silent Witness Diamond Lil's 8
Rem3pt Books about the Silent Service. Submariners 19
Naval_Families_Federation Life On Board a Nuclear Submarine - Females to join the 'Silent Service' Current Affairs 26
H 'Silent' charity record released for Royal British Legion Current Affairs 1
soleil Mail: 5 Days On One Of Britain's Silent Warriors, HMS Talent Submariners 13
W Any regrets from joining the silent service? Submariners 15
C silent hunter 5 Gaming 16
S The silent majority fights back Current Affairs 4
brazenhussy The Silent Ranks The Quarterdeck 13
higthepig Silent Night Diamond Lil's 1
H Silent service new meaning Submariners 2
MoD_RSS Simon Case appointed as Cabinet Secretary and Head of the Civil Service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Cabinet Secretary lecture at The Blavatnik School of Government MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK and India agree deeper trading relationship at cabinet level summit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Cabinet Ministers out in force to endorse India ties MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minute from the Prime Minister to the Permanent Secretary at the Cabinet Office MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter from the Minister of State, Cabinet Office about the CSPL review of electoral regulation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Cabinet Secretary to stand down MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter from the Cabinet Secretary to Sir Simon McDonald MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letters from the Cabinet Secretary to Rachel Reeves MP and Ian Blackford MP MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Four new Cabinet Office Non-Executive Board Members appointed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Permanent Secretary at the Cabinet Office and Chief Operating Officer for the Civil Service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS South Sudanese Government Forms Cabinet: Troika Statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Cabinet Office hosts the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM to chair new Cabinet Committee on Climate Change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Turks and Caicos Islands: post-cabinet meeting statement 11 September 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Northern Powerhouse Minister backs Liverpool’s regeneration plans in first official visit since Cabinet promotion MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Turks and Caicos: post-cabinet meeting statement 7 August 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ministers from the Cabinet Office, BEIS, and DCMS meet representatives of business federations to discuss Brexit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Turks and Caicos: post-cabinet meeting statement 23 July 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Cabinet Secretary Sir Mark Sedwill letter to Sir Kim Darroch MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Turks and Caicos: post-cabinet meeting statement 3 July 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Minister for the Cabinet Office appoints two new Members of the Boundary Commission for England MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Arts Minister steps in to save rare £3 million Baroque Cabinet for the nation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Three new Cabinet Office Non-Executive Board Members announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement to parliament: Government Equalities Office to join Cabinet Office MoD News 0
F Alan Johnson resigns shadow cabinet Current Affairs 21