Significance of a Green Flag when berthing?

C_T_W

Midshipman
Does anybody know the significance/meaning of flying a Green Flag during the berthing of a ship? I've looked all over the internet but can't find an answer which suggests to me it's a RN specific thing as oppose to an internationally recognised signal.

Many thanks.

If ashore, I suspect its one of the berthing flags, which indicate the position of the bow, bridge wing compass repeater and stern.

But, if it was on the ship, it would mean they were recovering/launching their seaboat(s).

Nope.

It’s been a couple of years, but blue - bow, green - bridge wing, red - stern.

The problem being that Jan Docky just wanders up and plonks the flag down. You spend quite a lot of effort to line up, precisely, with the green flag, and then the docky asks you to shift a couple of thousand tonnes of warship back or forward by 50cm because he didn’t measure it right....

Not that I’ve ever been done to do that.

Sumo

War Hero
Nope.

It’s been a couple of years, but blue - bow, green - bridge wing, red - stern.

The problem being that Jan Docky just wanders up and plonks the flag down. You spend quite a lot of effort to line up, precisely, with the green flag, and then the docky asks you to shift a couple of thousand tonnes of warship back or forward by 50cm because he didn’t measure it right....

Not that I’ve ever been done to do that.
That's it, blame the Jan Docky because you can't Park, dabbers :D:rolleyes:;)

Sumo

War Hero
I'm impressed you're awake enough to notice coming alongside...
I was the heaving line chucker for the greenies for shore cables. When at Portland Sea Training the skipper asked the XO why the WE’s had their heaving line across for shore cable, before the dabbers? Dabbers not happy with heaving line practice and instruction on how to throw one as good as the greenies, a couple came and asked me to show them how I managed to throw so long and accurate?

To get around this the XO had the greenies wait until piped to the shore connection point?
If they cannot play fair, play dirty.

Didn't see any complaints from dabbers as XO piped leave on we were still connecting shore cables?

Last edited:

Taztiff

War Hero
I was the heaving line chucker for the greenies for shore cables. When at Portland Sea Training the skipper asked the XO why the WE’s had their heaving line across for shore cable, before the dabbers? Dabbers not happy with heaving line practice and instruction on how to throw one as good as the greenies, a couple came and asked me to show them how I managed to throw so long and accurate?

To get around this the XO had the greenies wait until piped to the shore connection point?
If they cannot play fair, play dirty.

Didn't see any complaints from dabbers as XO piped leave on we were still connecting shore cables?
Oh that sounds so familiar!!