Signature Photo

Discussion in 'Bloody Computers' started by Magda, Jan 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

I'm a bit flummoxed. I'm reasonably tech-savvy and should be able to work this out on my own... but for some reason I can't this time. :slow:

I want the image in my signature to be a decent size so it's clear and visible, but when I try and resize it to the required dimensions (500x100 pixels) the file size is too large (about 18kb). I've tried every which way I can think of to reduce the file size whilst keeping the dimensions the same, but am still banging my head against a brick wall.

Can anyone help?

I remember using a very good website which reduced the file size but not the dimensions - can I find it now?! NO. Darn it.

2. Magda

3. Never tried shrinking a blimp!!!!! Last time i looked they didn't fit on a scanner!

4. Magda

Eh? :slow:

Wits, usually I can keep up with you quite well... but not this time.

5. Magda

Ok I'm still struggling :frustrated: Look at the blasted thing, it's minuscule!

I've messed with the optimisation, image quality, etc etc and got the file size down to 7.45kb and the dimensions to 156 by 275 pixels. Yet when I upload it, it shrinks!

What am I doing wrong?!

6. You need to adjust the pixel density - the dots per inch (dpi) so that you can keep the pixel dimensions at 500 x 100 (or whatever you want it at) but with fewer dots actually making up the picture.

I would ask why you want a big picture to appear EVERY TIME you post though. All big signatures mean is fewer posts per page and more scrolling down to read the content.

7. Magda

Thanks Sep!

I don't want it much bigger, maybe half as big again. I also know that those with slower internet connections find big signatures frustrating as they take ages to load.