Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signal Flags.

harvey845

Hi,
I have just joined the forum, and this is my first posting.
I am trying to decode some signal flags on a war ship, from a photograph, but I am failing miserably.
The port outer set of 4 flags looks like, from the top, O R J H. The port inner flag looks like G.
Its not importaint, but Id like to know what they mean, I was hoping there may be someone that could help on here.
There are also two other flags on either the stb,d side or perhaps in the centre, its hard to tell from the photo, I do not know if those are relevant too???
Is it perhaps the ships callsign?
I was at the sea, but I was engine room, therefore have not got a clue about "flag waggeling."
Thanks in advance for any replys.
Harvey.

harvey845

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, I will have a go at scanning it in.
I have just joined the forum tonight, so not really looked about it much yet, how do we post pics?
I am on a couple of other forums, and usualy use photobucket, I will find out how to post the pic and put it up.
Thanks again for the reply,
regards,
Harvey.

bollotom

War Hero
IF the callsign is ORJH then it's the Belgian navy's Godetia, Pennant A960. If I remember correcly the callsign, 4 flags, would be flown on the outermost port halyard. UK beginning with G. Got to be a bunting tosser around, but when you need one...........:eye:

harvey845

Hi,
Yes, I found that one too after a bit of googling, but as you say Godetia is Belgian, so that threw me a bit with the G.
I will try and put the pic up, can I use photobucket do you know?
Thanks again.
Harvey.

bollotom

War Hero
I thought you could use "Insert image" in the menu, but that's only a supposition. Someone will be along more expert than I. I do think you have to post a certain number of times before posting photos or that may just be links. Have a gander at this about attatchments but you'll have to wait to find if it needs photobucket etc. ^_~

Reading and Posting Messages

Last edited:

harvey845

Hi,
Thanks for the link, hopefuly this should be it.
I had a look and it said I am allowed to post attachments, so fingers crossed.

harvey845

Hello again,
Seems to have worked ok using photobucket.
The pic is of a war canoe somewhere up the Clyde that was involved with the recent Joint Warrior 12-2 ex.
When I went on them, there were known as JMC,s I beleive.
Thanks again for the help.
Regards,
Harvey.

Drakey

War Hero
If flag Golf is flying, it more than likely means that the ship is "guide" as in OOW manoeuvers.

bollotom

War Hero
If flag Golf is flying, it more than likely means that the ship is "guide" as in OOW manoeuvers.

It is the Godetia and she's flying the Golf flag "I require a pilot" and the other starboard halyard, can'r make out the top flag, if any, but the other, tango, is "Keep clear".

silverfox

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Port outer is international call sign, Port inner is 'Golf' indicating she is the guide for her formation.
Stbd innner is Interco Hotel - ''I have a pilot embarked' - the red/white pennant means the flag is from the International signal book vice ATP1C - otherwise she would be indicating she is operating rotary wing aircraft.
Stbd outer and main mast are not so clear but I imagine one will be a NATO flag and one might indicate the presence of the formation commander.
The blue of the flag on the Stbd outer makes flag Hotel look like Tango - which in any case is the red white blue ie the other way round.

silverfox

War Hero
Book Reviewer
You're welcome. Now going to go and rub myself down with my white silk handkerchief for old times sake......

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Signal Flag Advice History 16
MoD_RSS Report 10/2020: Signal passed at danger at Loughborough South Junction, Leicestershire MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Report 06/2020: Signal passed at stop and near miss, Deansgate-Castlefield tram stop, Manchester MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Signal passed at danger and subsequent near-miss at Chalfont & Latimer station MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Signal passed at danger near Loughborough MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK and Romania signal shared commitment to Black Sea security MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM: New counter-extremism strategy is a clear signal of the choice we make today MoD News 0
S LET to POET (ME) signal.. UPO 1
P A good day for the air Branch (Promotion signal) Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
F Lt Cdr Promotion Signal The Fleet 3
C Cpo logs promotion signal 2011 UPO 2
L Phone Signal Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
D Does anyone have the ET - LET (WE GS) signal The Fleet 2
The_Jimmy Signal from MARS Current Affairs 4
S PO Signal Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 16
R 3g signal at hms sultan. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
nufc70 mobile phone signal at Raleigh??? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
P Lt Cdr - Cdr Signal The Fleet 25
alfred_the_great Lt - Lt Cdr Signal (not Norman!!!!) The Fleet 25
ianbeale cpoet to level 8 pay on wo2 signal?? Finance & Pensions 16
shag_shacker 2OE signal out for WAFU's The Fleet Air Arm 9
D ET - LET signal The Fleet 3
boredwafu Lt-Lt Cdr Promotion signal The Fleet 85
N No Rum Ration This is the Signal Diamond Lil's 25
Cullie Phone Signal At BRNC & RAF Cranwell Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
I Popham's signal flag code History 1
F Lt Cdr/Major Promotion Signal Current Affairs 2
P Pay Rise Signal Today Current Affairs 11
C Flags and Pennants The Quarterdeck 13
MoD_RSS UK flags to fly at half mast for the death of Sultan Qaboos of Oman MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK flags to be flown at half mast for London Bridge attack victims MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Historic county flags flown at Parliament Square for first time MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Flags flown at half mast for Sri Lanka victims MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Flags flown at half mast for New Zealand victims MoD News 0
J admirals flags The Quarterdeck 1
soleil Wiltshire Times: "Wiltshire Sailor From Trowbridge To Hoist Up Flags For Winners" RFA 0
scouse Training ship with no Flags Bases / Shore Est 4
sgtpepperband DVLA Advice: Flags on Number Plates Motoring 10
5dits 2.5 million quid on flags for the forces Current Affairs 26