Sifts interview

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by sophielou007, Dec 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Heya,

I am currently studying up for my second attempt of the SIFTS interview and I am stuck on one part of my knowledge. I was wondering if anyone knows what the career path (including the enrolment) is, following the interview and where it takes place for an Air Traffic Control Officer? Please.

Thanks for your time,

2. Hi Sophie

Welcome to Rum Ration!

If you pass your Sift Interview with the ACLO and, following that, your FATS, your papers will be sent up to the AIB and your AIB will probably take place in the spring.

Some useful info on the role of an Air Traffic Control Officer here:

Where do you think you tripped up on the Sift the first time round?
  3. ATC training is:

Grading at RNAS Yeovilton (approx 2 weeks). Culminates in a 45 minute session on a radar simulator directing blips around the screen to test your aptitude.

Part A - JATCC (Joint Air Traffic Control Course) at RAF Shawbury, 27 weeks. Theory work, but mostly practical learning on radar simulators and the visual control point simulator.

Part B/C - Yeovs or Culdrose as a trainee until you are fully qualified in all controlling positions there. This takes upto 18 months.

On completion you start your first job at wherever you've done your part B/C training at.

Not totally sure what you mean by 'enrolment', but if you mean minimum return of service it's 3 years from the day you commence JATCC (though this keeps seeming to change).
  4. Sophie have you done your FATS for air traffic before they cleared you at SIFT level?

Best of luck with everything.

5. 2 week grading?! Only took me an afternoon....
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome to the site, or 'Heya back at ya', if you prefer.

There appears to be a little confusion with regard basic terminology and to avoid ambiguity, without wishing to appear patronising, a little clarification is required to avoid confusion.

Firstly the Sift Interview: Sift means 'to filter or separate', it is not an acronym, the plural is Sift Interviews (unless you're from Cornwall). The objective is to find out a little bit about the applicant, their preparedness, awareness, motivation and potenial. Those failing the initial interview are advised of the areas needing further devlopment and may undergo subsequent interviews until they appear reasonably prepared to move forward in the selection process beyond this interview.

The Selection Process is not the Career Path - After passing the Sift Interview a prospective ATCO would normally undergo Flying Aptitude Tests (FATs) [more here: ] and if successful, undergo Admiralty Interview Board (AIB) [ More here: ]. You need to know where FATs take place & where AIB is - these are fundamental elements of the Sift Interview.

After passing AIB, the applicant will then be placed in a pool of fellow successful applicants & the very best will be selected on merit to undergo Initial Naval Training and professional training beyond. Wannabe ATCO has roughly outlined the "Training Pipeline" above.

Your Career Path beyond training is where you are subsequently employed, what your day to day job involves, promotion opportunites, timescales etc.

In broad-brush terms you need to know what the selection process involves, the training pipeline and your intended career path.

After Sift, the preparations for AIB must begin in earnest - don't underestimate(s) it.

Best of luck.
  7. Hello,

I got told it was my lack of service knowledge but have since been swatting up and will hopefully be able to pass it this time, I am slightly nervous though. DO the ask about weapons on each ship and other stuff like that?

Thanks for all your help.
  8. Ninja_Stoker

It's probablty worth doing some revision too, once the flies are held at bay.

At AIB expect questions such as: "Which radar(s) is fitted to a Type 45 destroyer" or "What weapons systems are on a Type 23 frigate" etc., so it would do no harm to start researching before the Sift Interview(s).

Best of luck

...(& if you are Gemma93 under a different guise, I'm going to thump a random Kiwi based Booty).
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  9. Ok, thank you. And sorry to disappoint you but I am not gemma93 in a disguise but just a sophie :)
  10. **** me, you must have long arms!
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Cyber punch then

A person of my disposition does not particularly wish to punch a booty whilst stood next to him. :winkrazz: