Sift Interview.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by JamesSN, Mar 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi.

Got my sift interview coming up in the next week and would just like to know what sort of naval history I will be required to know. I've got pretty much everything else that is covered in the interview down to a tee just lacking an expansive knowledge of this department. Anything else that you think may catch me out will also be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Didn't need to know any of that for my sift - was more interested on equipment and operations of the Royal Navy. Including the Royal Marines (just generally where they are in the world etc). What the Navy does, what training will I expect to undertake. And then there is a bit about you i.e. how you did at school/uni and what responsibilities, activities, and leadership stuff have you been involved in. If you wanted to know about Naval history, maybe just remember a few key dates i.e. battle of Trafalgar/Falklands.

3. Okay, thanks, Ireland.

Forgot to mention that I'm applying for Aircrew Officer, Pilot.

4. When I spoke to my AFCO (this was before I signed up the papers for the initial application process), I remember him saying to learn the following;

Names of the main ships
    Differences between Ships, submarines, frigates, boats etc
    What the roles are of the ships
    What aircraft can land on what ships.
    Names of all the aircraft in the FAA
    What each aircraft does, what role it plays
    Current affairs only involving Navy though

That was about it, I cant remember much more as it was a good few months ago. He said not to bother learning about Navy history, he said that it helps, but dont waste your time learning about it as you wont be asked on it, as its in the past. Unless it is for example "The harrier was designed in the 60s as a cold war jet" etc.

5. Hey,

Here are some extra tips:

1. Make sure you really are up to scratch on your current affairs - especially Afghanistan (this may include a question such as, "how are women/children treated in Afghanistan etc.? Is what we are doing in Afghanistan worth it? ).

2. Make sure you know the training pipeline of a pilot/observer, for both fixed wing and rotary (what would happen after BRNC for example). Also know where each aircraft is based e.g. Yeovil/Culdrose.

3. Make sure you know what a leader does/is - you should be able to reel this off like you were reading it off a piece of paper. Also, make sure you have plenty of examples of leadership you have displayed. Being prefect/sports captain in school isn't enough. Think more recently, work or uni for example. My ACLO told me tht although I have displayed some leadership throughout my life, he recommended I go out and do some more before I went to AIB. Taking this piece of advice on board, I searched for voluntary work in which I could display leadership, think cadets or other youth activities (a CRB check isn't necessarily required if there are other adults around who are qualified etc.).

4. Regarding the history, know that it took the Falklands war for the government to appreciate the real value of the Navy. Had it not been for the Falklands war, big cuts may have been made.

5. Finally, when mentioning why you want to join the Navy, be sure to mention you believe in what the Navy does, that they are doing a job which is worthwhile.

Hope this helps you a bit.I'm a bit tired so please excuse any poor grammar/spelling mistakes ;) Good luck with the interview.