Sift Interview Quick Questions

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by 2and2makes5, Nov 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey I've received my invitation for the Officer Sift Interview yesterday and I've just got a few questions:

-How long is the interview normally? I'm hoping to not take the whole day off work as I don't have enough leave. I will though if it's more than a couple of hours.

-When I went to the AFCO after my fitness test, the lady told me that in my interview I'd be given scenarios and questions on them but on the email I got it doesn't mention these nor do the previous threads on here. Is this a new thing?

-Finally, will they tell you after the interview whether you've shown enough potential or is it via post?

Thanks for your help :)

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  2. I had mine a few months ago, so this is my experience:

1. Mine was under an hour - perhaps 45 minutes.

2. I was asked questions that allowed me to give evidence of officer-like qualities - situations where I'd led a team, worked as part of a team, taken responsibility etc. I had plenty of examples but I guess school leavers may struggle to come up with enough real-world examples and the interviewer may present scenarios instead?

3. I was told after the interview.

You should have a chat with the interviewing officer prior to the interview where the kind of things you are required to demonstrate are explained, and you're given the chance to ask any other questions you may have. Mine was just a phone call, but I understand others candidates had an informal face-to-face chat beforehand.

Good luck!
  3. Thanks spooner for your quick reply. I'm 23 so hopefully my examples will show real world experience :) was it the same competencies that are on the sheet we were given before applying? I'm not sure whether to think of new examples as well to back my answers up.

I've just remembered my last question. I applied for the RAF in January and got offered a place but I ended up not going. I've mentioned it on my application form do you think he'll question why I didn't join?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  4. Duplicate post
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

My guess is that it would be an issue significant enough to warrant a question, if only to ensure further recruiting costs are justified.

Good luck.
  6. My interview lasted roughly an hour and a half, then they have to review it (takes about an hour) then have a chat with you so your roughly there for 3 hours.
    The Scenarios aren't something you can prepare for, you can't give wrong answers its just how you would handle a situation they are all based around team work. Just say things like you would motivate the team and what not.
    Good luck.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. So the senior service is your second choice then?

8. Three hours? Blimey.

As suggested, aside from having a few prepared answers based around times where I've shown leadership and teamwork (the search function yields plenty of example questions) I devoted most of my preparation time to the service knowledge element of the questioning, being sure to revise all elements of the Naval Service, not just the branch I was applying for.

9. No the Navy was my first choice but they weren't recruiting for what I wanted to do at the time - Radiography

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  10. Thanks for your reply. I'll make sure to go over my reasons if he asks. I know it will come across that I'm indecisive but it wasn't the case at all.

11. Ninja_Stoker

I wouldn't fret too much - all they will want is re-assurance of your intent. If you've a history of several "false starts" then the odds of success diminish correspondingly.
  12. Ninja_Stoker

The OP is asking about the Officer Sift Interview, not the Ratings Competency Based interview - they differ markedly.
  13. I don't want him to bring it up but at the same time I was the only one out of eight that got offered the scholarship that year, which could persuade them of my potential. But on the other side, like you say, I wasted the government's money with having a medical etc (though it meant I passed my Navy medical in 10mins so maybe it saved them a little bit back).

It doesn't help I've gone from Radiographer to Warfare Officer either. Hopefully he'll see how much I want to get through this time that it won't be a problem :S

14. Ninja_Stoker

It could indeed.

Conversely I know of a RM Officer applicant that was one of only two people offered a scholarship through sixth form, upper & lower, earned himself a bursary for 3 years in Uni & lasted a grand total of four weeks when he joined before he wimped it and opted to leave.

Top bloke, just shit at personal admin & foresight. :salut: