Sift Interview - Navy Knowledge

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by BillC, May 10, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, I am currently going through the application process for an Observer Officer. I have my sift interview coming up and I am revising my navy knowledge. I am reading this forum and the royal navy website, particularly the operations part. Could someone tell me if the operations part on the Royal Navy website provides the sufficient up-to-date information required for the sift interview and also advise me on any resources to gain knowledge of the fleet and air craft - I want to be able to point at any ship and say 'thats HMS Daring Type 45'.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  2. Firstly, don't call it the HMS Daring.
    Secondly, don't point at an aircraft and say, that's the HMS Daring.

Here to help :)

3. Cheers dapperdunn, something I would have done otherwise... but maybe not have pointed at an aircraft and said that..

4. Make sure you know where the RN is operating in big handfuls. Make a point of understanding where the air squadrons are employed. Getting a copy of Navy News will help.

Service knowledge isn't a deal breaker, but it is an indication of motivation. You wouldn't apply for any other job not knowing where you'd be working or what you would be doing...

5. I don't understand. The OP said 'that's HMS Daring' which is correct. If he had said 'That's the HMS Daring' he would be wrong.

However, pointing at ANY ship and saying 'that's HMS Daring' will end in tears. Unless it happens to be D32.

6. The OP's post has been edited, the "The" appears to have been removed :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Twice!

8. Where is the RN operating in "big handfuls"?
    Not sure I could answer that.