SIFT Interview - help

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by CityBoy1988, Nov 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Afternoon Chaps!

Got my SIFT interview tomorrow and been reading up on all the stuff that I've seen listed in and around the forum which people have kindly recommended. Just a quickie though... with regards to current deployments, should I know simply where the Navy's fleet is and what it is doing there, or is more depth required such as which exact ships are there etc?

Any other tips and hints are also welcomed! Possibly anyone who has recently had theirs.

Thanks

2. Afternoon.

I had my interview yesterday and found it very relaxed; there were no questions about current operations though. It depends on what you’re applying for, if its officer then from what I know they will ask you about it.

Have a look at this link about the 6th post down mate.

Hope this helps.

www.navy-net.co.uk/cpg...=9503.html

3. I had a like pre-sift interview for officer about a year ago and I was asked about current operations (as I was in my rating interview the other day) and the ships involved in these operations. It's probably better have learnt to much than not enough

4. I was asked what we have in certain locations. I found it just as easy to remember, Horn of Africa: "HMS Cumberland and HMS Cornwall", as it was to remember, Horn of Africa: "2 type 22 Frigates".

Some ships, such as HMS Clyde, you really should know, since they are always in the same place. HMS Clyde (and various Falklands knowledge) took up about 2/3rds of my interviewed navy knowledge at the AIB.

You might not need such detail at the sift, but remember that the point of the sift is to see if you are ready for the AIB. In an ideal situation, therefore, one would attend with a similar level of knowledge.

5. You will asked where the Navy is currently deployed and what is the task in each area. You will not be expected to know which ships are where (with the possible exception of anti piracy patrol as the ships have been in the news recently). You will need to be able to recognise the different classes of ships and say what weapons they carry and what the weapons are for (ie SeaWolf-Point defence against air attack/Sea Dart- area defence against air attack/Harpoon anti surface missile etc). PM me if you need any more help. CTF

6. Had my Sift interview yesterday, here's a rough outline of what you'll be expected to know: -

Navy Knowledge
    - Types of Ship
    - Weapons systems on-board type of ship (seawolf etc..)
    - New Ships/Boats coming in the future
    - Where the Navy are currently deployed and what ships are where
    - What the Navy are currently doing on deployments
    - How do you feel about the possibility of serving in warm sandy climates (Iraq, Afghan)
    - What RM's are doing in Iraq
    - First sea lord
    - Lots of other stuff that i've forgotten already, but be OVER PREPARED rather than under prepared.

Leadership examples
    - Think about times you've lead/organised an event
    - Think about times you've been under pressure and things haven't gone to plan
    - Think about times that you've had to work exceptionally hard to achieve a goal you've set yourself.
    - Any managment experience etc...

Career path
    - Know EVERYTHING about BRNC, i was asked lots of really detailed questions about what happens each term, what stuff you'll get up to and what are the pass/fail stages where you can be thrown out
    - Know what you'll do during your professional training
    - Have a clear goal set out that you want to achieve idk say you want to reach Lt Commander or something (just an example) but you have to be clear that you have high aspirations for yourself and your career

Motivation
    - Why do you want to join the RN
    - Why as an Officer
    - How do your family feel about you joining

Misc
    - Member of any sports club
    - Fitness levels?
    - What sports do you undertake
    - How would you feel about taking another persons life
    - RN Drugs & Tattoo policy

Can't think of anything else at the moment, not sure if you want to be taking my advice anyway... I was given a Partial Pass because my leadership examples weren't quite up to scratch, so something i have to work on until feb when i resit it :lol:

7. thanks for the advice and tips...best get thinking of some leadership examples to give...this could be the toughest bit as I am only 21 and just graduated...so I dont exactly have a wealth of experience to discuss

8. In the exact same boat as you mate but i have 6-7 months left of my degree. Try going to see your Uni's CA and ask if there are any events going on locally or around the Uni that you could help organize. Thats my plan at the moment anyway as i don't have long before im re-interviewed. Good Luck.

9. If only officer selection was as simple as 1 2 3...

10. It is, you're just overcomplicating things in your head to make yourself feel superior. It's a quality that will stand you in good stead when you've got some gold on your shoulders.

11. CHeers for all the advice and help guys...just got back and the officer said I was one of the best candidates he had seen in a long time, so a bit more relaxed now!! Just need to brush up on navy knowledge and he reckons I will fly through (no pun intended).

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Tsk, take no notice.

Our cleaner is always pretending to be the ACLO too. :lol:

13. :D :lol:

I have my SIFT on 4th December - I just got my date yesterday! Other than the RN site, the Navy News etc, is there anything in particular that anyone could recommend that I read or learn? I have also been looking at those links posted for the BR3, but is there anything else?

Thanks.

14. Ninja_Stoker

To be honest BR3 gives a fairly good idea & Nomnomnom's post above also gives a good idea.

Just remember if the interviewer has a headscarf, a cup of tea, is smoking a tab & leaning on a broom - they may not always be the ACLO.

15. Damn, I dunno if I'll be able to remember that! I don't suppose it's too important, is it? :lol:

16. Ninja_Stoker

Nah, not really.

Another tip is not to blow & pop your Bubbly Gum when the interviewer ask you a question as it can get stuck on your pyjamas & makes you look a right mess.

17. Do you think it would look better if I stuck it behind my ear? That way I can chew it later! I wouldn't want to mess up my jammies- after all, I will be wearing my best ones! They are pink with little fairies all over them! Have to make a good impression after all! :D

18. As Ninja said Nomnomnom's post is the best one to look at for the layout of the interview. I had mine this morning and the officer had pretty much those points exactly listed out in front of him and worked through them. Just be sure to have lots of leadership and organisational experience examples to hand, and lots of clubs/societies/sports etc to talk about. Apparently there is a 60% failure rate for this interview according to the officer, but I wasn't sure if that would be right or not because thats ALOT of people not making it past this initial stage??

19. I'm 16 and in my sift interview i wasn't asked any questions to do with that. just things like how would you feel that a missile that you just let off may be heading too innocent civilians and how do you feel about shooting someone. Its really nothing to worry about.