Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SIFT Interview Advice

MattReid

Midshipman
Hi guys, so I've got my SIFT interview this Thursday. Done a good bit of revision and have a broad understanding of most areas of the RN. I'm applying for Pilot so I understand most of the interview will be based on the FAA. I was wondering what sort of questions I could be asked throughout the interview? I am aware there are other threads on this topic and if it's easier I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction to one which is more focused on an interview for pilot. However, any advice on what sort of questions and some key things which I should know would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Booner123

War Hero
Don't go into the interview thinking it is going to be based around the FAA. I had mine for pilot as well in April and apart from the obvious training pipeline for pilot there wasn't much else on the FAA. The only other part was when he showed me pictures of a wildcat, sea king, merlin etc. Make sure you have plenty of examples for leadership experience and all the competency questions along with service knowledge, your comission and return of service, everything you possibly can know about going to Dartmouth and make sure you have good, solid answers for "Why do you want to join the armed forces" then "Why the Royal Navy instead of the Army or RAF" (you will most definitely get that question seen as you're applying for Pilot and the obvious choice would be the RAF). Would you serve on a submarine? How do you feel about possibly having to take a human life. There are a wealth of questions on here for you to look through. Make sure you know everything because it probably won't be tailored to the FAA. You will get questions on Surface Fleet, the RFA, the FAA the Royal Marines and the silent service as well so make sure you're clued up on everything. Most of all try to relax and be honest they can smell bullshit a mile off so don't even bother trying to make something up, they'll respect you more for just admitting you don't know the answer. (Obviously provided you do know the answer to most questions aha). They're not looking for someone who know' everything inside out already. They're looking for potential, show them you have it and you'll be laughing.

Good luck, be sure to let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Booner.

MattReid

Midshipman
Don't go into the interview thinking it is going to be based around the FAA. I had mine for pilot as well in April and apart from the obvious training pipeline for pilot there wasn't much else on the FAA. The only other part was when he showed me pictures of a wildcat, sea king, merlin etc. Make sure you have plenty of examples for leadership experience and all the competency questions along with service knowledge, your comission and return of service, everything you possibly can know about going to Dartmouth and make sure you have good, solid answers for "Why do you want to join the armed forces" then "Why the Royal Navy instead of the Army or RAF" (you will most definitely get that question seen as you're applying for Pilot and the obvious choice would be the RAF). Would you serve on a submarine? How do you feel about possibly having to take a human life. There are a wealth of questions on here for you to look through. Make sure you know everything because it probably won't be tailored to the FAA. You will get questions on Surface Fleet, the RFA, the FAA the Royal Marines and the silent service as well so make sure you're clued up on everything. Most of all try to relax and be honest they can smell bullshit a mile off so don't even bother trying to make something up, they'll respect you more for just admitting you don't know the answer. (Obviously provided you do know the answer to most questions aha). They're not looking for someone who know' everything inside out already. They're looking for potential, show them you have it and you'll be laughing.

Good luck, be sure to let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Booner.

Thanks Booner, much appreciated. Got a few things to brush up on but feeling confident. Fingers crossed!

burnleymitchy

Midshipman
In my interview they focused a lot on where I have experience working in a team, could be different for different roles.

Booner123

War Hero
Just had a read through it. Very useful, thanks again!! If you don't mind me asking, what stage are you at with your application?

Sorry for the late reply, I have only just had the email through with the notification to say you asked this question. I have passed everything up to and including my SIFT. I have my FAT's booked in for mid August and then it's on to AIB so fingers crossed not to long now!

How did your interview go?

Booner.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M SIFT Interview Advice Joining the Royal Navy 6
Holmesy Sift Interview Advice? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
M Sift Interview Advice/Thanks! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Olly013 SIFT Interview - My Experience and Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
L Sift interview advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
A Sift Interview Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
C Pre interview application sift RFA 5
T SIFT Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
M “SIFT Interview” Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
S Identifying ships for SIFT interview RFA 3
J RFA Officer: Sift Interview RFA 13
J Warfare Officers - Awaiting Sift Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 45
WannabeAdmiral To what level of detail do I need to know about operations for the SIFT interview? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
D Regulations on leaving training pipeline? - SIFT interview Joining the Royal Navy 1
WannabeAdmiral SIFT interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
A HM sift interview technical questions? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
A Is the sift interview at an AFCO office? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
A HM sift interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Q SIFT Interview Failure Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
B Sift Interview - Navy Knowledge Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
P Sift Interview Helllllp Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Jakeypeg Welbeck DSFC, Sift Interview and AIB Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 37
B Psychometric tests - sift interview RFA 7
S Sift Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
E Post Sift-Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
O sift interview for medical cadetship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
B Sift Interview - My experience. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
C Sift Interview for a Weapon Engineer Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
F Just had my sift interview... RFA 15
Unicorn_91 SIFT Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
Blake29 Officer sift interview The Fleet Air Arm 1
T Anyone got a sift interview on tuesday morning? RFA 21
P SIFT interview ship,boats,vessels crib sheets Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
E CIS interview/sift dates RFA 10
A Sift interview The Fleet Air Arm 8
A SIFT Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
A Sift interview and AIB The Fleet Air Arm 9
J Sift Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
2and2makes5 Sift Interview Quick Questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
A Weapon Engineering Officer/E(IS)O SIFT interview queries Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
N SIFT INTERVIEW - one tiny question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
B Sift interview - Leadership experience? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
S Sift interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
M Sift interview -welbeck Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
M SIFT Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
A SIFT interview next week :-) Submariners 9
J PJFT Renewal & SIFT Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
rn458scc Sift Interview :) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
19jw89 Sift interview - help! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
W SIFT Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0