SIFT Interview Advice

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by MattReid, Jul 8, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, so I've got my SIFT interview this Thursday. Done a good bit of revision and have a broad understanding of most areas of the RN. I'm applying for Pilot so I understand most of the interview will be based on the FAA. I was wondering what sort of questions I could be asked throughout the interview? I am aware there are other threads on this topic and if it's easier I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction to one which is more focused on an interview for pilot. However, any advice on what sort of questions and some key things which I should know would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. PERSEC ! Sub Lt Matt Reid

• Like Like x 1
  3. Don't go into the interview thinking it is going to be based around the FAA. I had mine for pilot as well in April and apart from the obvious training pipeline for pilot there wasn't much else on the FAA. The only other part was when he showed me pictures of a wildcat, sea king, merlin etc. Make sure you have plenty of examples for leadership experience and all the competency questions along with service knowledge, your comission and return of service, everything you possibly can know about going to Dartmouth and make sure you have good, solid answers for "Why do you want to join the armed forces" then "Why the Royal Navy instead of the Army or RAF" (you will most definitely get that question seen as you're applying for Pilot and the obvious choice would be the RAF). Would you serve on a submarine? How do you feel about possibly having to take a human life. There are a wealth of questions on here for you to look through. Make sure you know everything because it probably won't be tailored to the FAA. You will get questions on Surface Fleet, the RFA, the FAA the Royal Marines and the silent service as well so make sure you're clued up on everything. Most of all try to relax and be honest they can smell bullshit a mile off so don't even bother trying to make something up, they'll respect you more for just admitting you don't know the answer. (Obviously provided you do know the answer to most questions aha). They're not looking for someone who know' everything inside out already. They're looking for potential, show them you have it and you'll be laughing.

Good luck, be sure to let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Booner.

4. Thanks Booner, much appreciated. Got a few things to brush up on but feeling confident. Fingers crossed!

5. I didn't write it for you to like it?

Think about changing your username.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  6. Just had a read through it. Very useful, thanks again!! If you don't mind me asking, what stage are you at with your application?

7. Nah, leave it as it is. If anyone on the interview reads this they'll know his weak points so which awkward questions they can ask :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. In my interview they focused a lot on where I have experience working in a team, could be different for different roles.

9. I want to know the answer to that one. Perhaps:

Sub.jpg

10. I still got asked it in my interview even though I'm going for Pilot.

11. Sorry for the late reply, I have only just had the email through with the notification to say you asked this question. I have passed everything up to and including my SIFT. I have my FAT's booked in for mid August and then it's on to AIB so fingers crossed not to long now!

How did your interview go?

Booner.