Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sift Interview Advice

Lynx101

Lantern Swinger
Re: advice for SIFT interview

Yeah the joke thing is a bit iffy, but I had a great interviewer who really put me at ease. Thanks for putting it in the AIB sticky, hope it helps some people.

Sam7

Badgeman
Re: Passed my Officer sift interview

I've just had my interview and thought I'd add some comments -

- Definitely, definitely, definitely know where the current deployments are, I hadn't looked for weeks when I had my interview and looked a pillock when I said that the marines were in Afghanistan (they had actually swapped with the Paras, which they do every six month, incase you didn't know). The "current deployments" section of the RN website is good for this.

- Don't spend all your time beforehand learning about the ships/boats/weapons etc. The leadership stuff seems much more important so spend some time thinking about (maybe writing down) what you plan to say so it is clear in your mind when you are asked.

- Think about why you want to join up and why you want to be an officer, my interviewer really pushed this. I don't think explaining all the benefits you are going to get is a good way to go; I think you need to display an understanding of what actually goes on and why you would enjoy it. It was suggested to me afterwards (by the interviewer) that talking about the various missions of the navy and being part of them would be a good thing to say.

- show that you are motivated by practicing the bleep test/sit ups/push ups/running. I was asked what training I had been doing and the answer was none, which doesn't sound very impressive and although I'm confident that I'd be fine as far as fitness goes I'm planning to do some training anyway so that I sound concerned at the AIB.

- Even with some minor balls-ups I was put through to the AIB so don't get too stressed about it. I was told I got through but m performance wasn't as strong as it could have been; I think it was more down to the way I explained things as opposed to what I actually said, so be prepared to go into detail and talk about leadership examples etc mentioning how you felt about it, how you handled situations and any problems. If you don't say it yourself, they'll just push it to try and get the answers out of you.

- The officer interviewing me was nice, and quite friendly, setting a bit of an informal tone, talking about other general stuff before be started the sift interview, so don't be nervous as you go in. I think it's quite usual for them to approach it this way as I've seen other posts saying similar things.

-If no one has told you yet, definitely wear a suit - don't wear a black shirt though, there was an RAF candidate in the recruiting office with one on and he looked a bit of a goon.

SIFT interview soon - please help!

Hiya, I'm new to this... I had my recruit test on tuesday and passed with a high enough mark to be an officer. I'm going for Aircrew Officer, pilot hopefully, and was told that next step is my first SIFT interview. What sort of thing should I know for this? I've been researching the current fleet, current affairs etc, is that the right sort of thing? Also how long from now should I expect for my AIB? I'm so desperate to get in, a lot of my family have been in the Navy including my cousin who left as a Commodore so I want to do them proud!

Please get back to me I want to do as well as I can in every part! :thanks:

Jamie534

Badgeman
Re: SIFT interview soon - please help!

It really enables them to sift through you all to find the best.

Thank you i'll be here all week!

benr22

Midshipman
Re: SIFT interview soon - please help!

Hi,

I had my Officer sift interview a few months ago.

The idea is to allow the AFCO to 'sift' out the people who aren't suitable to become Officers and to ensure you are prepared and determined enough for what faces you at the AIB and beyond.

With the above in mind they are looking for the following...
- Smart appearance - suit and shiny shoes.
- Good timekeeping - make sure you are 15-20mins early.

You will be asked questions about your background, up bringing, hobbies, interests, school and work. This is to determine the following...
- You can speak clearly and convey yourself in an understandable manner.
- You can give some examples of teamwork from your background - can be in sports, at work or school/college/uni. (EG I spoke about playing football, founding a tenpin bowling team, working in retail as part of a team.)
- You can give some examples of leadership from your background. (EG I spoke about being a shop manager in a retail environment and the responsibilities it gave)

You will be asked questions about your motivation for joining the Navy. So make sure you have it clear in you mind and make sure it is positive. As part of this they will expect you to have done some research in the following areas...
- Current Naval deployments. (see Navy News)
- The Officer training pipeline (see Royal Navy website and leaflets)
- Have some knowledge of which ship is which and what it does etc. (see Navy website or book called 'The Royal Navy Handbook')
You don't have to be perfect on these things but just demonstrate that you have bothered to do some homework - as it will all be tested in greater detail at the AIB.

In terms of time scale I've waiting around 4 months since returning my post sift interview forms (July) till my AIB (10th Nov). Although some people on here have been quicker, it seems my AFCO (London) is quite slow compared to others.

Hope that helps.

Ant_H

Lantern Swinger
I had my Sift back on September 3rd and got put forward for the AIB. All Security check forms have been filled in and returned and got a letter through this week confirming Sultan has received my documents.

Was just wondering how long other people had to wait from receiving acknowledgment from Sultan to getting an actual date to attend AIB?

Cheers.

benr22

Midshipman
Ant_H said:
I had my Sift back on September 3rd and got put forward for the AIB. All Security check forms have been filled in and returned and got a letter through this week confirming Sultan has received my documents.

Was just wondering how long other people had to wait from receiving acknowledgment from Sultan to getting an actual date to attend AIB?

Cheers.

I got my first letter from Sultan on 6th August and my AIB date is 10th November ... the only delay was 1 week when I had to conntact my old school and get them to write a letter confirming my GCSE results as I've lost the certificates and provided the results slips - which aren't acceptable.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M SIFT Interview Advice Joining the Royal Navy 6
Holmesy Sift Interview Advice? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
M SIFT Interview Advice The Fleet Air Arm 11
M Sift Interview Advice/Thanks! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Olly013 SIFT Interview - My Experience and Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
L Sift interview advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
L Some questions about the LSO (Trainee) Role ahead of my SIFT Interview RFA 3
C Pre interview application sift RFA 5
T SIFT Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
M “SIFT Interview” Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
S Identifying ships for SIFT interview RFA 3
J RFA Officer: Sift Interview RFA 13
J Warfare Officers - Awaiting Sift Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 45
WannabeAdmiral To what level of detail do I need to know about operations for the SIFT interview? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
D Regulations on leaving training pipeline? - SIFT interview Joining the Royal Navy 1
WannabeAdmiral SIFT interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
A HM sift interview technical questions? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
A Is the sift interview at an AFCO office? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
A HM sift interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Q SIFT Interview Failure Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
B Sift Interview - Navy Knowledge Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
P Sift Interview Helllllp Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Jakeypeg Welbeck DSFC, Sift Interview and AIB Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 37
B Psychometric tests - sift interview RFA 7
S Sift Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
E Post Sift-Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
O sift interview for medical cadetship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
B Sift Interview - My experience. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
C Sift Interview for a Weapon Engineer Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
F Just had my sift interview... RFA 15
Unicorn_91 SIFT Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
Blake29 Officer sift interview The Fleet Air Arm 1
T Anyone got a sift interview on tuesday morning? RFA 21
P SIFT interview ship,boats,vessels crib sheets Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
E CIS interview/sift dates RFA 10
A Sift interview The Fleet Air Arm 8
A SIFT Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
A Sift interview and AIB The Fleet Air Arm 9
J Sift Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
2and2makes5 Sift Interview Quick Questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
A Weapon Engineering Officer/E(IS)O SIFT interview queries Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
N SIFT INTERVIEW - one tiny question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
B Sift interview - Leadership experience? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
S Sift interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
M Sift interview -welbeck Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
M SIFT Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
A SIFT interview next week :-) Submariners 9
J PJFT Renewal & SIFT Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
rn458scc Sift Interview :) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
19jw89 Sift interview - help! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4