Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SIFT Interview Advice

MJ171717

Midshipman
Hi all,

I have my SIFT Interview in just 2 weeks time,was hoping if anyone could give me some guidance on what sort of questions I may be asked?I have a pretty good idea that there will be questions such as "Tell me a time you achieved success or suffered failure as a leader?" and things like "Give me examples of where the Navy is currently in operation",however I've read some posts about candidates being asked about particular ships and their advantages and disadvantages etc etc.I've also read somewhere that they no longer ask those type of questions in the SIFT?Could anyone give me some advice if they do or not and possibly point me in the right direction of what to start reading up on?

Thank you in advance!

DrumRoll

Midshipman
Hi MJ,
I also have my Sift coming up very soon, so have been preparing and reading up where I can. My AFCO wasn't willing to give me any sort of suggestion as to what questions I might expect (which surprised me a little), so what I have gleaned below has come from scouring the forums and message boards.

The impression I get is that your detailed Naval equipment knowledge (e.g. weapons systems, propulsion, displacement, complement, pros and cons) is much less likely to be tested at the Sift than it was a few years ago and the focus is more on:
-Motivation
-Knowledge of current operations, what the RN 'does' in a broader spectrum
-Knowledge of your training pipeline, career prospects and where you might be stationed
-Leadership, teamwork examples
-Awareness of Ts&Cs of entry, Return of Service, commission length
My opinion is that the newer recruitment approach is to find people with proven leadership/teamwork experience & sound motivations who know what they are signing up for - who can then have their naval knowledge expanded and developed. This is as opposed to candidates who have extensive, in-depth knowledge of every system, weapon and sensor on every ship/boat/flying thing the RN operate, but have no teamwork experience and few demonstrable leadership skills.

That said, however, there is obviously a need to have some knowledge of RN equipment, stations etc. A 'broad but shallow' knowledge (as one post mentioned) should suffice at the Sift stage, but may be further tested at AIB.

Please note this is all just my opinion, from my interpretation of posts across NN and other forums - if anyone (e.g. Ninja) has more up to date/correct information, do correct me!

MJ, I won't post all of the questions I am revising for, but here are a handful of them (in no particular order). I hope they help - and good luck.
What branch/role are you applying for?

Name an example of when you have shown leadership skills?
Using a different example, name a time when you have managed a team of people.
What is moral courage to me, and an example of a time I have demonstrated it .
When have you managed resources?
When have you made a mistake and had to deal with it?
When have you made or delivered an unpopular decision?
Tell me about a situation where you had to brief a large group of people?
Tell me about a situation where you had to lead a team in a task?
Greatest strength? Greatest weakness?
Name a time when you have spoken publicly or in front a large number of people.
Taking the RN out of the question; what has made you want to join the Armed Forces in general?
Why then did you choose the RN as opposed to say the Army or the RAF?
What is AIB and what might you expect during it?
Say you pass AIB, what happens next? What does your training then consist of?
Say you pass out of BRNC - then what?
Tell me a bit about the training structure at BRNC?
Tell me about the structure of your training pipeline?
What commission are you given initially?
What are the regulations regarding leaving the training
pipeline?
What is the return of service for your particular branch?
What is the importance of the Middle East to the UK?
What operations are taking place around the UK?
Where did you learn your knowledge of the Royal Navy from?

MJ171717

Midshipman
Thank you so much for the information DrumRoll,this is all really helpful stuff,I'm applying for the Logistics Officer branch but at the minute feeling a little out of my depth (Applying straight from College),so I may switch to a rating application if I'm not successful in the SIFT/AIB,what about yourself?

DrumRoll

Midshipman
Hi MJ
I'm applying for Logs branch too - pretty competitive from what I understand.
You've got time/age on your side, if you get to AIB and are unsuccessful, you may be given the option to retry in 6/12 months - bear that in mind!

shinson

Lantern Swinger
Hello,

I have recently just had my SIFT interview - although I am applying to join as an AET.

I got asked basic things about my family, what do they think of me joining, my wife and what she thinks, how does my daughter feel, what was my greatest achievement, what is my proudest moment.

I was also given a little scenario (now I must stress, I served straight from school and left before I turned 18 so things like where is basic training, how long for he didn't ask) to see if I would jump straight in or problem solve logically.

Got asked how to wire a plug, what a fuse is for, what is the purpose of an earth cable etc (again more specifics for my role)

I was asked about phase 2 training, where it is, how long, I was asked how long my contract is for on initial sign up, what pay I can expect to receive.

My reason for joining the RN, my motivation for joining, what fitness have I been doing, what are my hobbies, have I completed the 8 week fitness plan, what jobs do I do around the house (again I am married with my own home so it was asked more as a confirmation question).

They basically want to find out what sort of person you are, are you committed, driven etc!

Turn up looking sharp, arrive abit early too! Relax, and enjoy it. There are no trick questions. :)

GOOD LUCK!

MJ171717

Midshipman
Thanks for the advice shinson and DrumRoll,was told in my initial interview to explore other roles as well such as a Warfare Officer,could they potentially turn round and say we think you'd be better off applying for this role rather than Logistics?If so might be worth me doing some light research on that as well just incase they bring it up to show I'm well prepared?

DrumRoll

Midshipman
That's a good point. A bit of light research can't hurt and will also show you've given other roles consideration.
Not one I have considered myself, as my age limits number of commissioned role options open to me, but I obviously have a basic understanding of what the other roles entail.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Holmesy Sift Interview Advice? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
M SIFT Interview Advice The Fleet Air Arm 11
M Sift Interview Advice/Thanks! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Olly013 SIFT Interview - My Experience and Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
L Sift interview advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
A Sift Interview Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
C Pre interview application sift RFA 5
T SIFT Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
M “SIFT Interview” Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
S Identifying ships for SIFT interview RFA 3
J RFA Officer: Sift Interview RFA 13
J Warfare Officers - Awaiting Sift Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 45
WannabeAdmiral To what level of detail do I need to know about operations for the SIFT interview? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
D Regulations on leaving training pipeline? - SIFT interview Joining the Royal Navy 1
WannabeAdmiral SIFT interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
A HM sift interview technical questions? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
A Is the sift interview at an AFCO office? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
A HM sift interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Q SIFT Interview Failure Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
B Sift Interview - Navy Knowledge Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
P Sift Interview Helllllp Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Jakeypeg Welbeck DSFC, Sift Interview and AIB Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 37
B Psychometric tests - sift interview RFA 7
S Sift Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
E Post Sift-Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
O sift interview for medical cadetship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
B Sift Interview - My experience. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
C Sift Interview for a Weapon Engineer Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
F Just had my sift interview... RFA 15
Unicorn_91 SIFT Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
Blake29 Officer sift interview The Fleet Air Arm 1
T Anyone got a sift interview on tuesday morning? RFA 21
P SIFT interview ship,boats,vessels crib sheets Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
E CIS interview/sift dates RFA 10
A Sift interview The Fleet Air Arm 8
A SIFT Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
A Sift interview and AIB The Fleet Air Arm 9
J Sift Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
2and2makes5 Sift Interview Quick Questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
A Weapon Engineering Officer/E(IS)O SIFT interview queries Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
N SIFT INTERVIEW - one tiny question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
B Sift interview - Leadership experience? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
S Sift interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
M Sift interview -welbeck Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
M SIFT Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
A SIFT interview next week :-) Submariners 9
J PJFT Renewal & SIFT Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
rn458scc Sift Interview :) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
19jw89 Sift interview - help! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
W SIFT Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0