Sideways entry from AET to Aircrewman

I’m currently phase 2 at HMS Sultan as an AET, if anyone is wondering, yes the course is nails!!!

Just got me thinking the other day when my PO said a lot of AE’s sideways entry to Aircrewman, I was just wondering if you sideways entry do you still have to meet the same criteria as a direct entry? I’m 30 and the cut off age for Aircrewman is 25, so would that mean I would be refused?

Thanks for the help

Sadly I think you left it too late. I was lucky in the dark ages. I was awarded my wings at age 26. (I was the oldest on course). I needed the flag officers approval to transfer because of my age. (That was AE to Acmn in 1977).
If you are drafted to a Wildcat flight you may be able to wangle a local winch mans role but you will be in competition with others due to the flying extra pay. (I'm assuming Wildcat flights still use the locally trained winch weight role!!!!!).

Upper age limit for RAF Weapon Systems Operator is 32 with further leeway considered for those already serving.

You have a far wider variety of types and flying roles and SNCO status to boot. Indeed, there's a former RN AET who's seen the light and is currently waiting for WSOp flying training where I work. PM me if you'd like to be put in contact!

Either way, good luck!

Regards,
MM

Upper age limit for RAF Weapon Systems Operator is 32 with further leeway considered for those already serving.

You have a far wider variety of types and flying roles and SNCO status to boot. Indeed, there's a former RN AET who's seen the light and is currently waiting for WSOp flying training where I work. PM me if you'd like to be put in contact!

Either way, good luck!

Regards,
MM
A good option there from MM with the potential also for an age waiver. Just to clarify though, RN ASW ACMN are Direct Entry and Sideways Entry with a fast track to Petty Officer (SNCO). That equates to about two and a half years from Entry at Raleigh to POACMN on the front line and rightly so given the job spec. I'm not sure joining the RAF is "seeing the light" but it is does offer some different opportunities.I think there might be a difference in Pay Bands, but I'd have to check. RN are Band 3.

Hi,

Thanks for all the reply’s, I think I’m just going to try and go for winch man on wildcats. It’s a tiny helicopter with a semi ridged head so a lot easier to work on lol

As for the course.... well.... it’s most definitely the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. You get a 60 page docket on Monday about say Grubber, then you have a test on it Thursday, straight after the test your given another 60 page docket about AV and have a test about it on the following Monday. You have exams every week, this week we have 2, some people who failed the previous exam have to resist that Next Monday so they have 3 exams to revise for this week. It’s really full on. But that’s why we’re gods chosen branch! WAFU (Women always fancy us) ;-) haha best of luck mate you coming here soon?

Hi,

Thanks for all the reply’s, I think I’m just going to try and go for winch man on wildcats. It’s a tiny helicopter with a semi ridged head so a lot easier to work on lol

As for the course.... well.... it’s most definitely the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. You get a 60 page docket on Monday about say Grubber, then you have a test on it Thursday, straight after the test your given another 60 page docket about AV and have a test about it on the following Monday. You have exams every week, this week we have 2, some people who failed the previous exam have to resist that Next Monday so they have 3 exams to revise for this week. It’s really full on. But that’s why we’re gods chosen branch! WAFU (Women always fancy us) ;-) haha best of luck mate you coming here soon?
Sorry, but I thought the Lynx/Wildcat rotor head was fully rigid hence its ability to roll and loop!!! Are you sure?

Also, don't forget Wildcat winch man job isn't guaranteed.

Yeah we was revising for it the other day

“The AW159 has been developed as a Lynx successor incorporating the same characteristics of high agility, excellent survivability and multi-role capabilities. The AW159 Wildcat has a semi-rigid rotor head to give it high agility and is fitted with composite rotor blades utilising the same technology that enabled the Lynx to break the world helicopter speed record. A pair of CTS800-4N engines, each providing up to 1,361 shp, provide exceptional performance even in hot and high environments and their exhausts include built in IR suppression to provide increased survivability.”

I know winch man isn’t guaranteed, but it’s definitely worth a try. I just love flying and this is the closest I can get to it haha. I would love to be able to get working on the F-35, but it’s not a choice yet so helicopters it is for now!

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
Hi,

sounds like ill enjoy it love learning about how systems and mechanical systems function etc (petrol head).
sounds a challenge but nothing worth doing is easy is it ! Yes hopefully,having a ballache with medical but should be getting it sorted soon to move on! Good luck mate