Should WIA receive an Elizabeth Medal

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by tomm90, Jul 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It was long overdue but welcome, when HM Government decided to award service personnel KIA the Elizabeth Cross from 1 Aug 2009.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/D...bethCrossDiedOnOperationsRecognitionAward.htm

However there has been many service personnel WIA (wounded in action) who receive nothing more than a campaign medal.

Should those WIA (wounded in action) receive an award of some kind, say like an "Elizabeth Medal"? Any views.

2. It would depend on the definition of wounded, the cause of the injury and the circumstances.
    I would hate our military to be a copy of the US forces where medals are awarded for going overseas (anywhere) good shooting and the like. I wouldn't be surprised if they got one when they learn to wipe their backsides.
    Service personnel badly injured or indeed traumatised should be given all the aid and medical treatment posible plus financial assistance where needed.

3. Agree with Slim.

I'd rather see those injured given the proper care and attention they need and deserve before they get a token 'Purple Heart,' otherwise it can get OTT.

Where does one draw the line between qualifying injury and non-qualifying injury for instance? I crushed my hand in a 4.5 ammo hoist once but I hardly feel it is worthy of a medal.

4. From another thread. http://www.navy-net.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=28293.html

It is absolutely right that no expense should be spared on rehab and other post-injury support but I am ambivalent about an award (because if it's not an award is there any point to it?). I have that gut feeling that it's "just not British". Would the criteria have to involve enemy action, do ordinarry accidents that could have happened anywhere but happened to be in an op theatre count, does this become some kind of badge collectors gem?
    In my opinion the TELIC and HERRICK casualties, not huge by comparison to other long term campaigns, seem to have caused a shift of opinion away from the indisputable facts that, a. we are (were) servicemen and implicit in that is going into harms way at the bidding of the government in support of foriegn policy and b, that as shocking as the level and types (of life changing) injuries are, they still don't match the worst days of NI or the some of the other post war ops.

IMD

5. Not worth a medal but probably worth the bollocking that your chief gave you :p

6. Weren't my fault guv, honest.

http://www.navy-net.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=25873.html

7. Well the least our present day new coalition government could do is award an official " Silver War Badge" to: "all of those military personnel who 'are' discharged as a result of wounds received during recent war campaigns ". Namely WIA, just like they did during WW1. See badge here:

The Silver War Badge
    'The Silver War Badge, sometimes erroneously called the Silver Wound Badge, was authorised in September 1916 and takes the form of a circular badge with the legend "For King and Empire-Services Rendered" surrounding the George V cypher. The badge was awarded to all of those military personnel who were discharged as a result of sickness or wounds contracted or received during the war, either at home or overseas.'

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/medals.asp

8. I don't wish to speak for those who are unfortunate enough to suffer wounds serious enough to render them unfit for further service. but if I were asked if I would prefer a medal or a lifetime of treatment and aid I know which I would choose.

9. Just curious, is it you TOMM90 who has raised this hare again on ARRSE? Personally, good luck in your campaign, howevermy gut instinct is that it would be abused.

Proper Medal for the wounded.

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

11. We already have the veterans badge I suppose which shows you served.
    I think the Germans had a wound clasp of some sort during the last war.
    I've seen the silver WW1 badges in militaria shops etc and I'm not sure if my grandad had one for WW1 as well. He was on the Somme.
    I think better rehab and after care is more important but a lapel type badge wouldn't do any harm rather than an actual medal.

12. Surely the WWI wound badge was awarded to deflect the attentions of white feather bearing harridans from a man in civvys perhaps with wounds that were not obvious at first, not really an issue today.
    I concur with others, care first badges second.
    And the Elizabeth Medal was conceived to give some recognition to families who had lost a loved one.