Should we have non-commando trained marines?

lukep said:
No i personally would never like to see non commando trained marines ever again. Im pissed at present but i will try to give you reasons in the morning. Non commano trained army or navy personel is ok but i for one would never like to see non green lidded bootnecks bolstering up the ranks.

P.s Bandies are NOT marines. they are bandsmen/women. Any comebacks to that can feck off.

Lukep....your reply is insulting to all Royal Marine Musicians...thats their correct rank...who have died whilst fighting during both World Wars and the guys that died in the Deal bombing..your knowledge level is low and i doubt you have belonged in anyway to the Royal Marines...produce the evidence of your service...or come to the Once a Marine site and do it.

Otherwise stop insulting dead Royal Marines who fought for your right say what you say.

RMNZ

Does this imply that all Royal Marines veterans who predate the Commando era are no longer Marines?

The distinction between a Royal Marines Commando and a member of the Royal Marines Band Service is there in black and white - but the latter remain Royal Marines. They are present as Royal Marines on the Land Forces ORBAT for the Falklands (listed as RM stretcher-bearers), and are included in the Navy List of RM establishments.

As for the 'common dit spun', well this is par for the course. It doesn't mean they were right. If he was laying it on thick about how he'd just got back from the "'Stan after giving it to the bad guys good style", then fair enough. But other than that I don't really see the point.

shipsnthat said:
Does this imply that all Royal Marines veterans who predate the Commando era are no longer Marines?

The distinction between a Royal Marines Commando and a member of the Royal Marines Band Service is there in black and white - but the latter remain Royal Marines. They are present as Royal Marines on the Land Forces ORBAT for the Falklands (listed as RM stretcher-bearers), and are included in the Navy List of RM establishments.

As for the 'common dit spun', well this is par for the course. It doesn't mean they were right. If he was laying it on thick about how he'd just got back from the "'Stan after giving it to the bad guys good style", then fair enough. But other than that I don't really see the point.

Thank you. I thought i was chatting absolute bollocks in my defence of bandies but it seems not.

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
They're RM, check out the cap badge/collar dogs, therefore they can wear a Corps T-Shirt/Tie/braces/watchstrap and cuff links as far as I'm concerned.
Now Para bandies get to wear a Red Beret FFS bloody hats.

Ueshiba

Lantern Swinger
NZ_Bootneck said:
They're RM, check out the cap badge/collar dogs, therefore they can wear a Corps T-Shirt/Tie/braces/watchstrap and cuff links as far as I'm concerned.
Now Para bandies get to wear a Red Beret FFS bloody hats.

:laughing3: :rofl:

IMD,

Well, **** me; I remember the days when you thought people like me were too Corp pissed or not intelligent enough to be talking and moaning about such things. Welcome. About ******* time.

I think your critique of the commando v non-commando role is perceptive. As many of us have said, there are plenty of examples of RM band and other non-commando types dong their duty in the face of mortal danger. I for one am on record (I put him forward for a commendation, at least) for reminding our commanders that some naval personnel in support of Royal (our non cdo MA) went beyond the call of duty in 82.

Kind regards,
Harry

lsadirty

War Hero
Were not the medics attached to Royal Commando trained ? I'm sure that we had one on CONQUEROR in 72 - Hughie Byrne, Northern Irishman - Commando qualified submariner - handy bloke to have around, I'd've thought ??

lukep

War Hero

No it does'nt, They were definateley Royal marines. and still are.

Lukep....your reply is insulting to all Royal Marine Musicians...thats their correct rank...who have died whilst fighting during both World Wars and the guys that died in the Deal bombing..your knowledge level is low and i doubt you have belonged in anyway to the Royal Marines...produce the evidence of your service...or come to the Once a Marine site and do it.

Otherwise stop insulting dead Royal Marines who fought for your right say what you say.

RMNZ

My service is actually on Once a marine, If you really must my handle is the same. Its a classic on this website when somebody gets rattled by somebody elses contraversial opinion they then proceed to invent a new profile and whine at them to prove themselves on the fecking internet. Absolute chad shite.
If i have offended any of the bandies on this thread then i sincerely apologise. Change my opinion on the matter? Im sorry i won't.

Never rattled by by ill formed and ignorant views..but thanks for apologising to our superb Musicians who will be soon.....fighting alongside green bereted booties in Afghanistan...as they did in Iraq and Kosovo. Havent seen your posts on your service Lukep....will look for them.
RMNZ...
Ps I have not reinvented myself just joined.....

lukep said:
P.s Bandies are NOT marines. they are bandsmen/women. Any comebacks to that can feck off.

Err, I'll just feck off then shall I... or maybe not!

I take offence to that comment on behalf of the various Royal Marine and Royal Marines musicians and buglers who died in service of their country and have served the Corps in almost every theatre in the world.

To begin:
The Birth of the Corps - 28 October 1664
King Charles II sanctioned the formation of the Duke of York and Albany's Maritime Regiment of Foot - the first Regiment to be formed specially for service afloat. The Regiment was raised mainly from the Trained Bands of the City of London from which the RM derive the privilege of marching through the City of London with Colours flying, drums beating and bayonets fixed.

That is the begining, the Birth of the Corps, where the Corps was formed from the trained bands... therefore the FIRST were musicians. The first Commandos were from the Army, the army can still be commandos, the RAF and the Navy can all wear the Green beret, in fact, I had one of my own until the Hunt report in 1990 said that we were not commando trained and therefore should no longer wear it. The Hunt report also looked at paying us as Technical ranks, our clothing allowances and a plethora of other promises but the only thing that came from it was the loss of the green beret. So, we now wear the beret of the Royal Marines, a beret that only Royal Marines can wear. Look on OAM and you'll see about the wearing of berets (fleet and 3CDOBDE Marines and their head dress) and the fact that the Royal Marines Beret is just that, blue with red patch and the Globe and Laurel beret badge. I don't want this to sound like a history lesson or a rant!
During WW2 The Royal Marines Band Service had the highest mortality rate per capita of ANY of the armed forces that served. From their position in the TS on the battleships their escape, in the event of the ship being hit, was highly unlikely and in most cases, the guns would continue to fire until the sinking of the ship.

More recently, the band were involved in the evacuation of Aden, the Royal Yacht band were ashore on Cormaska beach and manned the liberty boats that were moving the refugees out to safety. The Falkland Islands, where the band carried out duties of guarding prisoners, stretcher bearing, first aid and a host of other tasks including morale of the troops by providing musical entertainment in the evenings.

They have been involved in Kosovo with medical squadron (releasing their commando comrades to be able to carry out other duties more suited to their profession). http://www.royalmarinesbands.co.uk/Kosovo/Index_Kosovo.htm

As has already been pointed out in the gulf:
RFA Argus http://www.royalmarinesbands.co.uk/argus_diary/Intro.htm
On the ground with Decon1 http://www.royalmarinesbands.co.uk/argus_diary/CLR/part1.htm
and Decon 2 http://www.royalmarinesbands.co.uk/argus_diary/CLR/decon2.htm

The above diaries were written by the people who were there and written in the spirit and the humour of a Bandy.

And even more recently in Afghanistan where 2 of them were and are involved in the repatriation of fallen Marines as well as carrying out other essential duties within the unit.

As a very proud serving Royal Marine and having many friends who are Royal Marines Commandos (SNCOs, JNCOs, Mnes and Officers) I am pleased that your views, that I am NOT a Royal Marine, are in a minority, thankfully, a very small minority. This has not been a rant at you, just for your information and hopefully education on our Corps.

bootneck54

Midshipman
:threaten: Just a photograph of the 3rd Commando Brigade Band (green berets) the time 1950 Malaya funeral party for Marines of 40 Commando killed in action, They wore the green beret non of us ever bothered to gripe about bandies wearing the green lid they were Royal Marines.Aye JR
funeralparty.jpg