Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should we have non-commando trained marines?

With the increased use of non-commando trained personnel within the Corps, is there a case for having non-commando trained marines to do some non-combat jobs?

At present we are stretched to provide enough man-power to meet the high tempo operational requirements. Some of these gaps are being filled by non-commando trained augmentees from other services; the brigade is also being bolstered by the Rifles. Could this requirement justify a 2-tiered Corps? Tier 1 being commando trained ranks filling combat appointments and tier 2 non-commando trained marines tailored to non-combat jobs.

I'm constructing a brief on this subject for a promotion course in the Corps, so would appreciate any constructive comments. Thanks. :thumright:
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
You will find there's already a fair few Male & Female matelots already working in CS95 with the 3 Cdo Brigade flash working for FPGRM.

Similarly the RMBS, who undertake 15 weeks military training (male & female- as opposed to the RN's 9 week military phase one training) prior to musician training are already trained in the group force protection role as well as the medical role. The band have acquitted themselves in Iraq & are also deploying to Afghanistan in this role so technically you already have non-commando Royal Marines conducting this role already. Many underestimate the RMBS's military capability.

Then of course there's 1 Rifles in Chepstow.

Edit: Cheers @britfor ;)
 
Last edited:

lukep

War Hero
No i personally would never like to see non commando trained marines ever again. Im pissed at present but i will try to give you reasons in the morning. Non commano trained army or navy personel is ok but i for one would never like to see non green lidded bootnecks bolstering up the ranks.

Edited post a drunken rant
 

Cpt_Black

Lantern Swinger
lukep said:
No i personally would never like to see non commando trained marines ever again. Im pissed at present but i will try to give you reasons in the morning. Non commano trained army or navy personel is ok but i for one would never like to see non green lidded bootnecks bolstering up the ranks.

P.s Bandies are NOT marines. they are bandsmen/women. Any comebacks to that can feck off.
A well reasoned and thought out response :rambo:
 

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
It's a bit of a slim line between having Non Green Lidded Chefs or Clerks and then the excreta hitting the fan and those bods being required to act as Riflemen, which if I recall correctly is every Royal Marines 'Proper' job no matter their SQs or AQs.
NZB
 
A

angrydoc

Guest
I remember overhearing a bandie in the Walkabout in Pompey one night introduce himself to a bird as a marine - almost dropped my Fosters!

It's a good discussion subject - I know a couple of RN people who have worked with the RMs but felt "left out" not having a green lid - I'm not old enough yet that I couldn't do the course if I needed to but if I was going to spend significant time with the Corps then to be honest I'd prefer to do the course. I think you'd have to be pretty precise on the definition of a non-combat role - you could end up in a sticky situation where the total number of personnel is adequate but the skill mix is wrong. There could also obviously be a bit of jealousy / baiting between the tiers.

I'd be interested to see the finished article!
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
Then of course there are the green beret MGS....
 
Icers_Booty said:
With the increased use of non-commando trained personnel within the Corps, is there a case for having non-commando trained marines to do some non-combat jobs?

At present we are stretched to provide enough man-power to meet the high tempo operational requirements. Some of these gaps are being filled by non-commando trained augmentees from other services; the brigade is also being bolstered by the Rifles. Could this requirement justify a 2-tiered Corps? Tier 1 being commando trained ranks filling combat appointments and tier 2 non-commando trained marines tailored to non-combat jobs.
I'm constructing a brief on this subject for a promotion course in the Corps, so would appreciate any constructive comments. Thanks. :thumright:

I think the question has already been answered as regards 1 Rifles, RMBS et al working within 3 Cdo Bge's ORBAT. I mean whatever next. You might have a bunch of civvies walking around in green lids being put up for V.C's next. :thumright: :thumright:
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
ex_rubberdagger said:
.... I mean whatever next. You might have a bunch of civvies walking around in green lids being put up for V.C's next. :thumright: :thumright:

Joking aside, I sincerely hope LCpl Crouch RMR gets the VC.
 
Ninja_Stoker said:
ex_rubberdagger said:
.... I mean whatever next. You might have a bunch of civvies walking around in green lids being put up for V.C's next. :thumright: :thumright:

Joking aside, I sincerely hope LCpl Crouch RMR gets the VC.

Joking aside mate i do too. It's a kind of endorsement for the RMR really as "In my day" we were seen by the regs as shite even if we weren't.
 

Ueshiba

Lantern Swinger
ex_rubberdagger said:
Ninja_Stoker said:
ex_rubberdagger said:
.... I mean whatever next. You might have a bunch of civvies walking around in green lids being put up for V.C's next. :thumright: :thumright:

Joking aside, I sincerely hope LCpl Crouch RMR gets the VC.

Joking aside mate i do too. It's a kind of endorsement for the RMR really as "In my day" we were seen by the regs as shite even if we weren't.

Well said XRD, lets hope he gets it. Would be good for the lads. When do they announce it? Is it New Years Honors? If I recall there are also two Royal Anglians nominated, one posthumus.
 
Ueshiba said:
ex_rubberdagger said:
Ninja_Stoker said:
ex_rubberdagger said:
.... I mean whatever next. You might have a bunch of civvies walking around in green lids being put up for V.C's next. :thumright: :thumright:

Joking aside, I sincerely hope LCpl Crouch RMR gets the VC.

Joking aside mate i do too. It's a kind of endorsement for the RMR really as "In my day" we were seen by the regs as shite even if we weren't.

Well said XRD, lets hope he gets it. Would be good for the lads. When do they announce it? Is it New Years Honors? If I recall there are also two Royal Anglians nominated, one posthumus.

I'm not too sure when they announce it, someone might be able to help there. Joking aside (again) the Corps as a whole is doing a great job out there and hopefully this will be an endorsement also. BZ Royal
 

Ueshiba

Lantern Swinger
ex_rubberdagger said:
Ueshiba said:
ex_rubberdagger said:
Ninja_Stoker said:
ex_rubberdagger said:
.... I mean whatever next. You might have a bunch of civvies walking around in green lids being put up for V.C's next. :thumright: :thumright:

Joking aside, I sincerely hope LCpl Crouch RMR gets the VC.

Joking aside mate i do too. It's a kind of endorsement for the RMR really as "In my day" we were seen by the regs as shite even if we weren't.

Well said XRD, lets hope he gets it. Would be good for the lads. When do they announce it? Is it New Years Honors? If I recall there are also two Royal Anglians nominated, one posthumus.

I'm not too sure when they announce it, someone might be able to help there. Joking aside (again) the Corps as a whole is doing a great job out there and hopefully this will be an endorsement also. BZ Royal

Love the sig, that sure does answer the 'By Land, By Sea, By Sunday Tea' brigade. :thumright:
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS General public should not have to pay for 101 non-emergency calls from tomorrow MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Guidance to parents and guardians: when you should book a coronavirus test for your child MoD News 0
G Should I tell my AFCO? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
K Passed medical, what is next and how long should I expect before intake? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS How should competition policy react to coronavirus? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 8 things you should know about your student loan MoD News 0
C Should I inform my afco about going to doctors? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
M Should I join the Reserves or Regular? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Should an oral hearing be impacted by the coronavirus? MoD News 0
J Joining as a chef, should I join the RFA or the RN? RFA 11
J Should I join the RN or RFA as a chef. Joining the Royal Navy 6
MoD_RSS Housing Secretary: beautiful homes should become 'norm' MoD News 0
P How long before should you prepare for the PJFT? Joining the Royal Navy 20
MoD_RSS Charity can and should lead the way in taking people’s expectations seriously MoD News 0
slim Anyone should be allowed to 'identify' as black regardless of the colour of their skin or background, say university leaders Current Affairs 16
slim Should ID be required when Voting? Current Affairs 36
D Should I wait until PRNC? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
slim Should Retired Old and Bold Pharts Leave RR? Diamond Lil's 59
U First deployment coming up soon, what should I bring? RFA 12
MoD_RSS All new rapid chargepoints should offer card payment by 2020 MoD News 0
B What should I do. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Speech: International community should be united in demanding peace in Sudan and Darfur MoD News 0
skyvet Chas Cooke (Why Should Britain Tremble) The Book Club 5
B What should I do? UPO/Careers Office 36
MoD_RSS Speech: Effective solutions to gender issues should be sustained: speech by Philip Smith MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Key facts you should know about the apprenticeship levy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: ‘What should the Spending Review focus on?’: speech by the Chief Secretary to the Treasury MoD News 0
slim Should the average white person apologise for Slavery? Diamond Lil's 26
MoD_RSS Press release: Damian Hinds: School leaders should ditch email culture to cut workload MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Girls’ education should be a development priority for the Commonwealth MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Business and communities should plan now for climate change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Five steps motorists should take to avoid deer collisions this autumn MoD News 0
N Should I even be considering this? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
B Should I have received an application form in the post? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
vauxhall What is Abatement and Why Should I Care? Finance & Pensions 0
T what format and how long should my urn be. Joining the Royal Navy 14
R Should I wait? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
Maxpowers AET What aspects of math should I practice? The Fleet Air Arm 52
R How long should I expect to wait for my start date? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
TechFin Heading to the Careers Office, Anything I should ask? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
S How far past basic fitness requirements should I aim for? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
A How much should I be able to squat? Health & Fitness 5
Hooly How can the Navy operate with 35% of PO(ET) missing. Should Industry be taxed for poaching Engineers The Fleet 18
Walter_white Should I do A levels and become an officer even though I've already applied as a rating? Joining the Royal Navy 25
Sumo Just another day at the office or should have been? Miscellaneous 4
U temporary medicaly unfit - how long should it take Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
BillyNoMates Every Forum should have its' own theme music. The Gash Barge 1
joeG How much money should i take to raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Jack90 How long should I wait? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
taffscrivs Who should appear on the new £20 note? Diamond Lil's 50
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

Top