Should we have non-commando trained marines?

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Icers_Booty, May 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With the increased use of non-commando trained personnel within the Corps, is there a case for having non-commando trained marines to do some non-combat jobs?

At present we are stretched to provide enough man-power to meet the high tempo operational requirements. Some of these gaps are being filled by non-commando trained augmentees from other services; the brigade is also being bolstered by the Rifles. Could this requirement justify a 2-tiered Corps? Tier 1 being commando trained ranks filling combat appointments and tier 2 non-commando trained marines tailored to non-combat jobs.

I'm constructing a brief on this subject for a promotion course in the Corps, so would appreciate any constructive comments. Thanks. :thumright:

2. Isn't the band service non-commando trained?

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You will find there's already a fair few Male & Female matelots already working in CS95 with the 3 Cdo Brigade flash working for FPGRM.

Similarly the RMBS, who undertake 15 weeks military training (male & female- as opposed to the RN's 9 week military phase one training) prior to musician training are already trained in the group force protection role as well as the medical role. The band have acquitted themselves in Iraq & are also deploying to Afghanistan in this role so technically you already have non-commando Royal Marines conducting this role already. Many underestimate the RMBS's military capability.

Then of course there's 1 Rifles in Chepstow.

4. No i personally would never like to see non commando trained marines ever again. Im pissed at present but i will try to give you reasons in the morning. Non commano trained army or navy personel is ok but i for one would never like to see non green lidded bootnecks bolstering up the ranks.

Edited post a drunken rant

5. A well reasoned and thought out response :rambo:

6. touchy.

7. It's a bit of a slim line between having Non Green Lidded Chefs or Clerks and then the excreta hitting the fan and those bods being required to act as Riflemen, which if I recall correctly is every Royal Marines 'Proper' job no matter their SQs or AQs.
    NZB

8. I remember overhearing a bandie in the Walkabout in Pompey one night introduce himself to a bird as a marine - almost dropped my Fosters!

It's a good discussion subject - I know a couple of RN people who have worked with the RMs but felt "left out" not having a green lid - I'm not old enough yet that I couldn't do the course if I needed to but if I was going to spend significant time with the Corps then to be honest I'd prefer to do the course. I think you'd have to be pretty precise on the definition of a non-combat role - you could end up in a sticky situation where the total number of personnel is adequate but the skill mix is wrong. There could also obviously be a bit of jealousy / baiting between the tiers.

I'd be interested to see the finished article!

9. Ninja_Stoker

Then of course there are the green beret MGS....[​IMG]

10. Don't mention the Intelligence Corps.

11. I think the question has already been answered as regards 1 Rifles, RMBS et al working within 3 Cdo Bge's ORBAT. I mean whatever next. You might have a bunch of civvies walking around in green lids being put up for V.C's next. :thumright: :thumright:

12. Ninja_Stoker

Joking aside, I sincerely hope LCpl Crouch RMR gets the VC.

13. Joking aside mate i do too. It's a kind of endorsement for the RMR really as "In my day" we were seen by the regs as shite even if we weren't.

14. Well said XRD, lets hope he gets it. Would be good for the lads. When do they announce it? Is it New Years Honors? If I recall there are also two Royal Anglians nominated, one posthumus.

15. I'm not too sure when they announce it, someone might be able to help there. Joking aside (again) the Corps as a whole is doing a great job out there and hopefully this will be an endorsement also. BZ Royal

16. Love the sig, that sure does answer the 'By Land, By Sea, By Sunday Tea' brigade. :thumright:

17. Shouldn't that be 'after Sunday tea'

18. oh no, its after friday tea, but before sunday tea :)

19. London Gazette, in my day sayeth the old stager :thumright:
    NZB