Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should universities take into account applicants' class?

Should class be taken into account?

• Total voters

slim

War Hero
Maxi_77 said:
Universities have to solve several problems in selecting new entrants. First and formost they need to get a quota of students, core funding is n a per capita basis so the more you can get within certain limits the better, then there is the problem of status, you need status to both get applicants, important, and also to pick up those funded research jobs, once again very important because you need the monet. Staus comes in part from the number of passes and the quality of those passes, so not just any student will do, you need ones with some competance and committment to success.

University admissions people look thus for both the basic academic ability and the commitment, and balance the two, clearly those who simply go through the paper system are only scored on what is on the paper and will have to have higher qualifications, those who go for interviews and make personal contact and mature applicants tend to show greater committment and thus normaly get in with lower paper qualifications. In general an applicant that has gat good enough qualifications for entry from a sink estate comprehensive will score better than some one with the same 'paper' quals but from a public school because they will have neede far more committment to get that far.

I have to disagree with applicants who live on sink estates having more commitment than a public school boy. Many living on these sink estates are hard working people who love their children and in many cases go without things themselves to ensure that their children receive a good education. These tenants are on sink estates normally because they cannot afford to buy their own property and have had to accept that which was available. There are many of them and they greatly outnumber (and in many cases resent) the Chavs who live near them.
By your own admission Peter these children have had parental care and love which surpasses that of the public schoolboy. (sorry had to put that in :oops: )

At presesnt I'm holding offers from 4 universitys, being a mature student taking non traditional qulifications ( access) I've had to be interviewed by all but 2 of my 6 places to make sure I'm up for the challegne of higher education. I was asked on my UCAS form what I considered my (or if under 21) my parents profestion ( I put mother). I was also asked if anyone else in my family had been to Uni, I was told this had nothing to do with the application process just need to be decleared becaused I could be intitled to extra funding from the Uni.

Sadly I was encoraged by the careers officer at the college to nether mention the fact I was dyslexic or a single mother as it could be held against me. However when it came to hobbies and intrests I had to say spending time with my daughter ( as this takes up most of my time along with the SCC).

I beleive Universitys discriminate against you in anyway they can if they want to get the best of the best pupils for the course to boost funding , the Uni will get more money the more 1st they get. THis means alot of people on my access course aren't getting places because someone has more a level points than them and yet they'd make bloody good nurses or midwifes etc because they have lots morelife skills, I for one would rather have a midwife who'd given birth and knew about kids than a 21 year old fresh from A levels who has read about it in a book.

slim

War Hero
The top universities discriminate only on ability (unless your family have good connections), to maintain their position as top universities they have to take those with the who have the greatest chance of completing the course chosen successfully. So basically doesn't really matter what your background (stand fast the royal family) points make prizes. This and the interview.

slim said:
Maxi_77 said:
Universities have to solve several problems in selecting new entrants. First and formost they need to get a quota of students, core funding is n a per capita basis so the more you can get within certain limits the better, then there is the problem of status, you need status to both get applicants, important, and also to pick up those funded research jobs, once again very important because you need the monet. Staus comes in part from the number of passes and the quality of those passes, so not just any student will do, you need ones with some competance and committment to success.

University admissions people look thus for both the basic academic ability and the commitment, and balance the two, clearly those who simply go through the paper system are only scored on what is on the paper and will have to have higher qualifications, those who go for interviews and make personal contact and mature applicants tend to show greater committment and thus normaly get in with lower paper qualifications. In general an applicant that has gat good enough qualifications for entry from a sink estate comprehensive will score better than some one with the same 'paper' quals but from a public school because they will have neede far more committment to get that far.

I have to disagree with applicants who live on sink estates having more commitment than a public school boy. Many living on these sink estates are hard working people who love their children and in many cases go without things themselves to ensure that their children receive a good education. These tenants are on sink estates normally because they cannot afford to buy their own property and have had to accept that which was available. There are many of them and they greatly outnumber (and in many cases resent) the Chavs who live near them.
By your own admission Peter these children have had parental care and love which surpasses that of the public schoolboy. (sorry had to put that in :oops: )

Whilst I would concur that the parental commitment and love these children get is often superior, it was not that so much but the level of commitment the child has had to make to get an education in hte school where both the attitude of the other students and the expectations often of the staff is poor, there you have to fight to get your education, stand up to the bullying for being a swot and teachers pet etc etc. That is personal commitment.

whens this question meant to come in?

I've just been for a lecture on student loans and the back of the form says

Voluntarty Questions :

Your parents' education ( this includes you natural parents, your adoptive parents, your step-parents, partners of paretns and you guardians)

Do any of your parents ( as defined above) have any higher education qualifications , for example degrees and diplomas of certifcates of higher education

Yes
No
Don't know

and the usual about you ethnic origin

My parents ran a pub which was a the chosen drinking establishment of a number of mathematical professors from Bath university who send chirstmas cards.......................should I tick yes?!

slim

War Hero
:smile: :smile:
wompingwillow said:
whens this question meant to come in?

I've just been for a lecture on student loans and the back of the form says

Voluntarty Questions :

Your parents' education ( this includes you natural parents, your adoptive parents, your step-parents, partners of paretns and you guardians)

Do any of your parents ( as defined above) have any higher education qualifications , for example degrees and diplomas of certifcates of higher education

Yes
No
Don't know

and the usual about you ethnic origin

My parents ran a pub which was a the chosen drinking establishment of a number of mathematical professors from Bath university who send chirstmas cards.......................should I tick yes?!

No Womps just tell them that both your parants were called to the Bar. :smile:

codbutt

Midshipman
applicants' class?

And just how do you define class?

My dad was a crane driver and engineer and mum worked in shops all her life. My grandparents were Welsh miners and farmers.
But I used to be a naval officer, have never done manual work (in any meaningful way) in my life and have an honours degree. Most of my friends are I suppose middle class people, and I am probably in the well-off income bracket, albeit that's somewhat distorted by the fact I live in another country with a different social and economic set-up to UK.

I call myself working class, but last time I was in a rough pub in Bristol I didn't feel like it, I can tell you. Just how anyone else would judge this would be an interesting point, and I can think of a lot of other folk like it.

slim

War Hero
Re: applicants' class?

codbutt said:
And just how do you define class?

My dad was a crane driver and engineer and mum worked in shops all her life. My grandparents were Welsh miners and farmers.
But I used to be a naval officer, have never done manual work (in any meaningful way) in my life and have an honours degree. Most of my friends are I suppose middle class people, and I am probably in the well-off income bracket, albeit that's somewhat distorted by the fact I live in another country with a different social and economic set-up to UK.

I call myself working class, but last time I was in a rough pub in Bristol I didn't feel like it, I can tell you. Just how anyone else would judge this would be an interesting point, and I can think of a lot of other folk like it.

Like you I class myself as working class. My father was an unskilled worker, my mother a shop manageress. I served 22 years in the RN on the lower deck.
I live on a middle class development where the houses are occupied by professionals.
My life style is most certainly middle class as are my values.
In to days Britain people move seamlessly between the classes.
One thing that I do object to though are those chavs who have never done a days work in their lives and live off state handouts referring to themselves as working class.

To be honest I really think trying to define class is a pretty pointless exercise. My only judge is whether I like to be in the persons company or not. If I like them I will drink with them if not I go somehere else.

slim

War Hero
Maxi_77 said:
To be honest I really think trying to define class is a pretty pointless exercise. My only judge is whether I like to be in the persons company or not. If I like them I will drink with them if not I go somehere else.

Wish I'd said that Peter :smile:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Guidance to parents and guardians: when you should book a coronavirus test for your child MoD News 0
G Should I tell my AFCO? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
K Passed medical, what is next and how long should I expect before intake? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS How should competition policy react to coronavirus? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 8 things you should know about your student loan MoD News 0
C Should I inform my afco about going to doctors? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
M Should I join the Reserves or Regular? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS General public should not have to pay for 101 non-emergency calls from tomorrow MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Should an oral hearing be impacted by the coronavirus? MoD News 0
J Joining as a chef, should I join the RFA or the RN? RFA 11
J Should I join the RN or RFA as a chef. Joining the Royal Navy 6
MoD_RSS Housing Secretary: beautiful homes should become 'norm' MoD News 0
P How long before should you prepare for the PJFT? Joining the Royal Navy 20
MoD_RSS Charity can and should lead the way in taking people’s expectations seriously MoD News 0
slim Anyone should be allowed to 'identify' as black regardless of the colour of their skin or background, say university leaders Current Affairs 16
slim Should ID be required when Voting? Current Affairs 36
D Should I wait until PRNC? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
slim Should Retired Old and Bold Pharts Leave RR? Diamond Lil's 59
U First deployment coming up soon, what should I bring? RFA 12
MoD_RSS All new rapid chargepoints should offer card payment by 2020 MoD News 0
B What should I do. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Speech: International community should be united in demanding peace in Sudan and Darfur MoD News 0
skyvet Chas Cooke (Why Should Britain Tremble) The Book Club 5
B What should I do? UPO/Careers Office 36
MoD_RSS Speech: Effective solutions to gender issues should be sustained: speech by Philip Smith MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Key facts you should know about the apprenticeship levy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: ‘What should the Spending Review focus on?’: speech by the Chief Secretary to the Treasury MoD News 0
slim Should the average white person apologise for Slavery? Diamond Lil's 26
MoD_RSS Press release: Damian Hinds: School leaders should ditch email culture to cut workload MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Girls’ education should be a development priority for the Commonwealth MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Business and communities should plan now for climate change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Five steps motorists should take to avoid deer collisions this autumn MoD News 0
N Should I even be considering this? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
B Should I have received an application form in the post? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
vauxhall What is Abatement and Why Should I Care? Finance & Pensions 0
T what format and how long should my urn be. Joining the Royal Navy 14
R Should I wait? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
Maxpowers AET What aspects of math should I practice? The Fleet Air Arm 52
R How long should I expect to wait for my start date? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
TechFin Heading to the Careers Office, Anything I should ask? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
S How far past basic fitness requirements should I aim for? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
A How much should I be able to squat? Health & Fitness 5
Hooly How can the Navy operate with 35% of PO(ET) missing. Should Industry be taxed for poaching Engineers The Fleet 18
Walter_white Should I do A levels and become an officer even though I've already applied as a rating? Joining the Royal Navy 25
Sumo Just another day at the office or should have been? Miscellaneous 4
U temporary medicaly unfit - how long should it take Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
BillyNoMates Every Forum should have its' own theme music. The Gash Barge 1
joeG How much money should i take to raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Jack90 How long should I wait? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
taffscrivs Who should appear on the new £20 note? Diamond Lil's 50