Should universities take into account applicants' class?

Should class be taken into account?

• Total voters
NO NO AND NO AGAIN. Sorry to shout but this subject really made me mad when I heard it on the news yesterday. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Just because I have a degree and a decent income, why should this have a potentially detrimental effect on my kids ability to get to Uni should they have the academic ability and want to go down that line.

Yet another bunch of stupid bloody targets to be achieved - look what targets have done for every organisation or body the government have interfered with - totally taken them away from common sense and actually achieving what they are there to do and focus on performance and targets just so the government can say what a great job they do for yet another minority group.

If my kids work hard at school and I can afford to send them to Uni, they should have that opportunity open to them as much as some kid who has been causing problems in comp school for years and parents are on the dole.

If positive action is needed to help individuals then I will support this, as long as it is fair, equal and accessible to all.

sara21

Lantern Swinger
All this positive discrimination larky annoys me! I was in M&S collecting my weekly shop last week, a man with ONE arm was packing my bags!!!! World gone mad!

kingoftwigs

War Hero
Surely I am reading this wrong, from what I understand of the article, if you went to uni, your child goes to a good school, works hard and gets good results, they may not get into uni themselves. This can not be right. This can only lead to social dumbing down.

Oil_Slick

War Hero
kingoftwigs said:
This can not be right. This can only lead to social dumbing down.

And that is the whole point of the exercise… NuLabour want's a population of dumbed down pre-conditioned drones who will vote as ordered for the greater good of the party

It does seem to me that unserum gross-Fuehrer Bliar wants to brainwash the youth of today into believing Labour are the helpful kind truthful party, and the Tories are the evil that lie rape and pillage.

In the General Studies AS Level there is a Culture section, which is pretty much how the Current Powers that be have solved poverty and other problems in this country created by the great Scum that was Thatcher and Major. The problem being that many people having little current affairs knowledge accept this as gospel truth. I swear the Teacher was a card carrying Bliarite.

(Not saying that the Tories were the good grace of God, but Labour certainly are not better!)

So, by their logic, teenagers whose parents didn't go to Uni would have a better chance of getting a place.

Then what happens 20 years later when their kids want to go to Uni?

In other words, digging out to get yourself an education will disadvantage your own kids. Isn't this warped logic?

kingoftwigs

War Hero
I cant believe that anyone actually thought this was a good idea and gave it breathing space. Oh, hang on a second, all the politicians kids have already done uni so it wont affect them, just us poor saps who pay for every stupid idea they come up with.
ROMFT so I can fcuk off to Spain!

2badge_mango

War Hero
You've all got this wrong! ONLY the top class should go to university.
That is, the top class at school, not in society generally. Then we might get rid of this "dumbing down - 50% - worthless degrees" rubbish that Bliar and his cronies are peddling.

2BM

safewalrus

War Hero
sara21 said:
All this positive discrimination larky annoys me! I was in M&S collecting my weekly shop last week, a man with ONE arm was packing my bags!!!! World gone mad!

Unfortunately they are all like that in M&S - will tell your they are 'green' too, 'fairtrade' who now owns the first 'fairtrade' mission - Cadbury, what was it, a scheme to give the cocoa farmers of Belize fair prices (from cocoa you gets chocolate) Fair! as my old GI used to say and my pr.........something to with 'bloaters' :lol:

Not that that's anything to do with the thread anyway!