Should they merge the parras and marines into one elite unit

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Nails, May 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This had me thinking. The paras and the marines stand out as the elite amongst the infantry. Yet they do the same job. As with this current amalgamation of regiments and reforming of the forces would it be a good idea to merge these two undermanned forces together and simply call them The Commandos?

It would make sense and probably be more benefical and the unit would would be an awesome, elite hardcore unit comprised and united of the best. The beret could be either green or maroon or a mixture of both. maybe green with trendy maroon stripes around it. Or patterned green and maroon. Plus this force of commandos would be trained at both swimming and parachuting meaning they could enter battle from any way they wanted.

[​IMG]

2. Poor very poor.......

3. Re: Should they merge the parras and marines into one elite

:evil: :!: :?: Nails, I don't usually read your drivell because you usually come accross as a fcuckin big OD but this one got me going I must admit.Having served on one or two occasions alongside both the paras and the marines I'm somewhat bewildered at the idea of such a silly juvenile idea. Why would we want to have ONE of the worlds most elite groups of warriors when we already have BOTH THE WORLDS MOST ELITE GROUPS OF WARRIORS YOU PLICK.

UP SPIRITS.......................SPLICEEEEEEEEEEERS!!!!!!

4. The answer to that is NO There roles are completely different miles apart to be exact and whats more nails you talk a load of SHITE :D :D :D :D

5. We could follow the Belgians and call them para-commandos!

6. Nails, over in Arrse you would get tagged an O2 thief for this sh1te

8. I find that hard to believe. I assume that the windows in the barracks are all adequately licked this morning?

9. They are certainly biting this morning, EZ ! fellas.

10. Nails never replied to your posts as you are a complete knobber.
    however this shite has been bandied around for years,when i was in the Corps it was a topic of conversation then and that was quite a while ago,it would never happen in a million years as we are both different kinds of soldiers.
    So Nails crawl back in your hole and OD on your drugs and die on us and do us all a favour,in other words F#CK OFF Idiot

11. It's not such a bad idea when you consider it. One awesome elite unit comprising the best of the best. I don't think Royal would be a good fit with Perce [the relative lack of medals awarded to RM in Afghanistan indicates that they are loafing a lot and hanging onto Apaches instead of real soldiering] but imagine Les Paras combined with the Royal Irish Battle Group. What a great amalgamation that would be. Les Berets Cerise could do the fighting and the Royal Irish could write the after-action reports and recommends for medals. There would be more VC's per tour than Rourkes Rift :angel5:

RM

12. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Bad move if you ask me. The para's dont use parachutes anymore so you just know the bean counters would, purely for interests of harmony and togetherness, take away all our shiny boats.

Cool looking beret though, seems to have a bit of a scottish twist to it as well.

13. Just go the whole hog and make everyone speshul. A twat to the swede with a ball peen hammer for those with a Namet (Or modern equivalent!) of 3 or above until Mmllllaaaarr level is reached and the unstopable MongParaCommando Brigade could be created.
    Officers would, of course, be required to attended care of the mong courses, promotion to NCO would be achieved by survival rather than merit.
    Rates of attrition would be high, but what man wouldn't give up his brain for the right to be one of Britain's finest.
    Nails is almost there without the remedial mong inducement.

14. The merged the green jackets, the light infantry and the devon and dorset sunderland warriors into the rifles. They merged the satffs, the worcester, shetland forresters into the mercians. I don't see why they can't do this.

I imagine it would be similar to having elite spear spartans and elite sword spartans in sparta. The king of the spartans would probablyu merge them together so they just became spartans that were good at both spear and sword and were a much bigger force. I don't see the issue in merging them together. They would still retain their herritage and tradition. And in all fairness, if they didn't they could just make up a new tradition like the rifles did when they said they were now part of Sharpe's lot.

15. wet_blobby

OOOwww....Naked fighting....I'm in!!!!

16. Re: Should they merge the parras and marines into one elite

Actually, this plan does have merit. Merging two of the elites into one would be good. However as you are no doubt aware, there is already an elite unit with all of the best attributes of these two. How on earth would the paras and the marines even be able to pass the gruelling selection - it would truly make them an elite fighting farce, sorry force.

[​IMG]

James

17. wet_blobby

James, your just being silly now.

18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Do keep-up & loft-on, Switchy, this was done over two years ago.

19. Why should I keep up? i couldn't give a sh!t what has been done before, all i'm bothered about is having MY say now.

20. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer