Should the average white person apologise for Slavery?

Should the average white person apologise for Slavery?

For many years now I have been trying to reason why I as an individual should apologise for slavery.
Neither I nor any of my ancesters owned or traded slaves in any way shape or form.
I come from a long line of working class individuals whose ancesters struggled to keep themselves alive.
This is the situation that I believe most white people belong to.
I beieve that the only difference between a black slave and a white serf was the serf was free.
But was he free?
The land he farmes was owned by the landowner as was the hovel he lived in, in reality he was just as much a slave as his African brother.
It could even be argued that the slave was better treated because he had a commercial value and was worth money, the serf on the other hand was worth nothing.
So in reality the only ones who should be apologising are those rich land owning families that traded slaves and ill treated peasants.
But the apologies should be to both black & white.
However all this happened a very long time ago, those that should be apologising are long dead and buried. Perhaps it would be just as well to consign the facts to history and just get on with life

Any thoughts on this feel free to expand.
No. Should the Navy apologise for impressing men in the passed? Both were appalling,but of their time. And as previously posted the slavery was often inter tribal, and our old friend Johnny arab had a big hand in it. Up to the point coastal community's in the British Isles were regularly targeted and the inhabitants taken off to the slave markets of north Africa. The whole town of Baltimore in Cork,Ireland was carried off at one time IIRC.

Last edited:

Sumo

War Hero
No. Should the Navy apologise for impressing men in the passed? Both were appalling,but of their time. And as previously posted the slavery was often inter tribal, and our old friend Johnny arab had a big hand in it. Up to the point coastal community's in the British Isles were regularly targeted and the inhabitants taken off to the save markets of north Africa. The whole town of Baltimore in Cork,Ireland was carried off at one time IIRC.
Save markets, was that early Asda?