Should the 'Angels of Woolwich' be given a medal ?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Flagdeck, Jun 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2013
  2. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I think they should. What they did, in the circumstances, was to my mind extremely courageous.

3. Flags, what's your opinion on this one?

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'm inclined to agree that showing humanity, with disregard to personal safety in potentially life-threatening circumstances is worthy of recognition. Bear in mind, the women will not have known at that instant the knife-wielding killers motives or further intentions.

5. I vill ask ze questions............. !

6. Blackrat

Which is exactly my point. They would have seen the state of Riggers on the floor and yet they didn't hesitate.

I fail to see what this has to do with "celebrity culture."

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yes. The only real counter argument i can feel some may have is that 'plenty of people do amazing things and get no recognition' but so what, different argument for a different day. The amount of people who walk on by and do nought when something happens of which presents no immediate danger such as an elderly person falling over and needing assistance is testiment even further to the fact that stepping in when there is a threat is even more of a commendable feat. Although talking to them could have god forbid been wreckless and had bad consequences, the over riding message was one that although there are some despicable people on this planet there are also some who are wonderful.

8. Blackrat

I heartily concur with Rachel.

What do you think Flagdeck?

9. Like Blackrat, I can see nothing to do with 'celebrity culture' here at all.

And yes, these incredibly brave women deserve some recognition for their actions in my opinion.

10. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I think they should be rewarded for their actions. I don't really get the link to celebrity culture either. They selflessly put themselves in a situation of very real danger, few would do the same these days.

11. I agree they ought but perhaps the George Medal is not appropriate as it is awarded to civilians for acts of great bravery and it could be considered that this act was not of great bravery. (Think of the actions of those who have received it and compare)

12. I think they should have some form of recognition for there selfless act

13. OK.....seeing as you asked........I think they definately deserve some recognition, I'm not sure I would go as far as the George Medal...........as for the 'celebrity' bit.......popular culture seems to be dominated by 'celebrity'..... 'reality' shows....where people are influenced by who 'cries' loudest and votes accordingly............I merely used the on line petition angle in that sense to act as a 'foil' to the 'deserving' bit........do we give out medals because someone shouts the loudest, or because they deserve it.
    Sorry for those of you that didn't get it.

14. Blackrat

I agree that they should get something and that the GM may be too much.

For the second bit, this was nothing to do with a reality show, a celebrity show or who cried the loudest. I think the use of the comparison in this case is a bit odd to say the least.

I didn't get it, but maybe i'm being a bit thick. Saying that, i think your opening post was quite clear with no hidden meaning;

Do they deserve a medal for what they did or not? It's a yes/no question really. As i said, maybe it's me.

15. Maybe not a GM. But how about a BEM (Civilian) ?

16. I realise that you, BR, are very close to the topic, and if I have come across as somewhat insensitive I apologise unreservedly. A bad attempt at being a smart arse.

17. Personally I don't think so. I appreciate this event was high profile and that the victim was close to some on here but people bravely step in to violent situations regularly. Do we gong up all of them? Of course not. I'm not convinced it should be any different here.

You can be recognised without the need for an award.

I think the 'celebrity culture' reference may have come from the trial by X factor and everything requires a petition nature of the country in recent years. "Give them a medal" seems to be the absolute solution to many things by Facebook, Twitter and Forum commentators.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blackrat

I'm not having a pop at you mate. You are only pointing out the way society has gone in recent years. It's the way things are. We are a society not unlike that of the late 1700 early 1800's that would flock to the public executions. We have become a nation that has one foot firmly on the outrage bus and we bridle at every slight. I have no idea why we have to have a poll in relation to things like this in the red topped rags.

These women showed courage in the extreme in what they did. To give you an example, the last time i saw a fanatic wielding a weapon at me, i discharged my weapon system at them. Would i have had the courage to ignore the weapon they held and approached Riggers, or even had the courage to ask these men why they had done this? Probably not. I'm glad someone had the stones to try to do something to help, even though it was too late. The thought of a friend of mine lying there, alone, in agony, bleeding to death, not knowing why, is something that i think of every day. Just the thought that he may have seen a friendly face before he moved on to the FRV is the only comfort i have.

With that in mind, there is no doubt in my mind that these women deserve some form of recognition for their bravery, not only for themselves, but for Riggers, his family and his fiancee, who is also my friend.

I do know one thing though. He would have hated the God awful ******* poem written about him

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  19. I think they should get a medal - I'm not very clued-up with which medal goes where, but I look at what they did as attempting to "disarm" the attackers for a period of time, without much regard for their own safety, for the benefit of others. I know the GM has gone to people previously who have tackled armed attackers - on board Astute, and in the civvie world I remember a school teacher who defended her class from a maniac with a knife. What's the next level down, the QGM? Either way I think they should get something.

20. I think they deserve to be recognised; it was said before in a previous post that the two women did not know that was the end of the violence and approached the attackers at great personal risk to themselves. However unsure if a medal is the way to go but I don’t have an alternative either.