Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Retired Old and Bold Pharts Leave RR?

slim

War Hero
Recently it was infered that as I was ex RN perhaps I should resign my membership of Rum Ration.
Thinking about this I wondered how many or RR membership were ex navy and how many were still serving?
If ALL tha Old Pharts were to resign would it then make for a smaller more interesting site?
Old Pharts resigning would give an opportunity for the young thrusters to compare ironing boards, irons and many other important issues.
Of course the members numbers would fall so site income from advertising would fall, possibly meaning that the site would have to ask for donatios to keep running.
Personnally I believe that the site has room for young and old and though todays RN is smaller and sleeker than the one we Old Pharts served in, it is still the best navy in the world.
Conditions have been improved to standard which we could never have dreamed of. The relationship between the wardroom and lower deck is unrecognisable to that of the 1960/70s.
So is it a site for All or a site for those srving or thinking of joining?

Knotty

Lantern Swinger
I Was A Sailor Once
In years to come when sailors are home from the sea they will still remember with fondness and respect the ocean in all its moods, the impossible shimmering mirror calm, and the storm tossed green water surging over the bow, and then there will come again a faint whiff of funnel gas, a faint echo of engine and rudder orders, a vision of the bright bunting of signal flags snapping at the yardarm, a refrain of hearty laughter.
Gone ashore for good they will grow wistful about their navy days, when the seas belonged to them and a new port of call was ever over the horizon, remembering this they will stand taller and say:
I was a sailor once, and numbers will never be the same again:
Kit: 1's 2's 3's 4's 6's 8's 10's 10A's
Punishment: Number 9's, 10 days stoppage, 7 days cells
And can someone explain why are 2-4-6 heavy?
Only a sailor knows...
I was a sailor once and I look back and realise it was not just a job, it was a way of life. A family where shipmates became brothers and part of a team.
I was a sailor once and I still can't forget my Official Number.
When medical science receives my body, as they examine it they will find a tattoo inside my brain with my Official Number and an anchor where my heart is.
I was a sailor once and I like the navy because even as times change, and the youth takes over from the old seadogs, some things never change:
The bitching is still the same.
The old days were always harder
The recruits were always greener
Official Numbers were always smaller
Men were made of steel and ships were made of wood
The goffers were always bigger
The girls were not as good looking
I am looking forward to attending a ship's reunion and can imagine sitting back and observing that friendships and respect are still as strong and binding as ever.
The ditties will still be as interesting - only the tale will get bigger.
If we haven't been there, it doesn't exist - or we blew it off the map.
Only a sailor knows.
I was a sailor once and I know.
I was a sailor once, I was part of the navy and the navy will always be a part of me....

slim

War Hero
Where would we go?
@Knotty do you mean 2_6 heave? The rope numbers on the cannon pullers. @WreckerL told me from when he was a powder monkey. ;)
Sumo you could try ROMFT and Lost Oppos.
Both sites are good.
I was banned from Lost Oppos years ago by a mod named Lobby as were dozen of people. This is the reason for ROMFTs existance Doc who was alos banned started a site with self moderation. This was several yaers ago and the site is flourishing.
Eventually Lobby himself was banned from Lost Oppos and the site welecomed back those that he had banned.
So both sites are good, but so is this site which has more variety than the other two.
No reason why people cannot be members of many sites, it is not like they are in competiton with each other.

Dusty70

War Hero
Why would us oldies leave Rum Ration - the name itself suggests a bygone era populated by us 'Old Pharts'

We keep the old words and matelot philosophies alive - my son was an RO for 7 years and he still doesn't understand half of what is spoken/talked about on here

quote 'Old Pharts resigning would give an opportunity for the young thrusters to compare ironing boards, irons and many other important issues.' - but would we have done if the technology was there ? - instead of (what seemed like) an all day rail journey to Plymouth aged 15 throwing up in the train loo becuase I was so bloody scared

and don't forget the majority of the young thrusters already had their own websites long before they found this one - we go........................it dies as Rum Ration as I sure as shit don't want to go on their sites

Chris P

Lantern Swinger
No, only found this forum after retiring a couple of years ago, if the old pharts go where is the non PC comment, humour and dits which I remember from my day (60's) gonna come from, the only reason I log on almost daily. It was a different world then been out of the mob for long time but as per Knotty still haven't forgotten my official number or the good runs etc..

Sumo

War Hero
Sumo you could try ROMFT and Lost Oppos.
Both sites are good.
I was banned from Lost Oppos years ago by a mod named Lobby as were dozen of people. This is the reason for ROMFTs existance Doc who was alos banned started a site with self moderation. This was several yaers ago and the site is flourishing.
Eventually Lobby himself was banned from Lost Oppos and the site welecomed back those that he had banned.
So both sites are good, but so is this site which has more variety than the other two.
No reason why people cannot be members of many sites, it is not like they are in competiton with each other.
Wouldn't have time for more

taffscrivs

War Hero
It seems that some currently serving members would like to see the back of us old farts as they obviously think that the website is really for them and has no room for the thoughts and opinions of those who are no longer serving. Do we take it then that when THEY retire or leave the service after 9, 12, 15 etc. they will also leave Rum Ration? R.R. is not an exclusive club, it's here for us all to use and enjoy and long may it be so. To those who disagree, bugger off and create your own website! Rant ends...

PedlarP

Lantern Swinger
Oh to be young again.

There were mismusters and slop chits, tot time and pay,
there was rising and shining and hitting the hay.

There was thickers and strongers and neaters as well,
there was DQ’s and chokey and the tiller flat cell.

There was aft and forward, abeam and abaft,
to civvies this cackle seems awfully daft.

But to those in the Andrew it doesn’t seem strange
like the draft chits the Jossman can always arrange.

We were always being seen off and getting green rubs,
and chasing up rubbers and looking for subs.

And going ashore like a great herd of cattle
and getting filled in and put in the rattle.

There were runs out to Honkers that to Jack were just fine
and there were times when we said “Roll on my time.”

And when time came and we were out on the dole
in old civvy street where we didn’t know a soul,
we thought of the good times and wished we were back,
in bells, silk and lanyard…a real tiddly Jack!

D

Deleted 493

Recently it was infered that as I was ex RN perhaps I should resign my membership of Rum Ration.

Really? Where?

Thinking about this I wondered how many or RR membership were ex navy and how many were still serving?

Why is that? So you can have a cheap shot at those still in uniform?

If ALL tha Old Pharts were to resign would it then make for a smaller more interesting site?

Why would they want to? There are plenty of 'Old Pharts' (why the misspelling by the way? The word is 'fart') who exist on here who can hold their own in an discussion and who aren't struggling to defend their bigotry. Because many aren't bigots, I'd suggest.

Old Pharts resigning would give an opportunity for the young thrusters to compare ironing boards, irons and many other important issues.

Oh, I see! Without 'Old Pharts' like you, this place would get dead boring.

Dunno. Give it a go, why don't you?

Of course the members numbers would fall so site income from advertising would fall, possibly meaning that the site would have to ask for donatios to keep running.

Shit! Yeah! We'd all be paying hundreds of pounds each and robbed of your inarticulate bullshit and xenophobia. Nightmare.

Personnally I believe that the site has room for young and old and though todays RN is smaller and sleeker than the one we Old Pharts served in, it is still the best navy in the world.

Smaller, sleeker, more professional and indeed less tolerant of bigot and racists. It makes us the best navy in the world.

Conditions have been improved to standard which we could never have dreamed of.

Yep. And in your day, Old Pharts used to watch Love Thy Neighbour, regard foreigners as lower order people and blame them for society's problems. Oh, hang on ...

The relationship between the wardroom and lower deck is unrecognisable to that of the 1960/70s.

I take it you have evidence supporting this statement?

So is it a site for All or a site for those srving or thinking of joining?

Ah. Back on topic.

It's a site for all. Always has been. Stop feeling sorry for yourself FFS.

levers

Last edited by a moderator:

Waspie

War Hero
The title alone implies old Navy! Rum - maybe a clue in there!

If the young-uns want their own space, start a New Navy web forum. Easy innit, or maybe they'd like one of us old farts to sort it out for them first!!!!

Ageing_Gracefully

War Hero
Review Editor
Book Reviewer
Youngsters don't realise that they will be old pharts one day.

The site is all inclusive and includes the ones who have spent a lifetime learning (or otherwise) from their mistakes as well as the young thrusters making exactly the same mistakes!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Guidance to parents and guardians: when you should book a coronavirus test for your child MoD News 0
G Should I tell my AFCO? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
K Passed medical, what is next and how long should I expect before intake? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS How should competition policy react to coronavirus? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 8 things you should know about your student loan MoD News 0
C Should I inform my afco about going to doctors? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
M Should I join the Reserves or Regular? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS General public should not have to pay for 101 non-emergency calls from tomorrow MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Should an oral hearing be impacted by the coronavirus? MoD News 0
J Joining as a chef, should I join the RFA or the RN? RFA 11
J Should I join the RN or RFA as a chef. Joining the Royal Navy 6
MoD_RSS Housing Secretary: beautiful homes should become 'norm' MoD News 0
P How long before should you prepare for the PJFT? Joining the Royal Navy 20
MoD_RSS Charity can and should lead the way in taking people’s expectations seriously MoD News 0
slim Anyone should be allowed to 'identify' as black regardless of the colour of their skin or background, say university leaders Current Affairs 16
slim Should ID be required when Voting? Current Affairs 36
D Should I wait until PRNC? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
U First deployment coming up soon, what should I bring? RFA 12
MoD_RSS All new rapid chargepoints should offer card payment by 2020 MoD News 0
B What should I do. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Speech: International community should be united in demanding peace in Sudan and Darfur MoD News 0
skyvet Chas Cooke (Why Should Britain Tremble) The Book Club 5
B What should I do? UPO/Careers Office 36
MoD_RSS Speech: Effective solutions to gender issues should be sustained: speech by Philip Smith MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Key facts you should know about the apprenticeship levy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: ‘What should the Spending Review focus on?’: speech by the Chief Secretary to the Treasury MoD News 0
slim Should the average white person apologise for Slavery? Diamond Lil's 26
MoD_RSS Press release: Damian Hinds: School leaders should ditch email culture to cut workload MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Girls’ education should be a development priority for the Commonwealth MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Business and communities should plan now for climate change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Five steps motorists should take to avoid deer collisions this autumn MoD News 0
N Should I even be considering this? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
B Should I have received an application form in the post? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
vauxhall What is Abatement and Why Should I Care? Finance & Pensions 0
T what format and how long should my urn be. Joining the Royal Navy 14
R Should I wait? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
Maxpowers AET What aspects of math should I practice? The Fleet Air Arm 52
R How long should I expect to wait for my start date? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
TechFin Heading to the Careers Office, Anything I should ask? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
S How far past basic fitness requirements should I aim for? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
A How much should I be able to squat? Health & Fitness 5
Hooly How can the Navy operate with 35% of PO(ET) missing. Should Industry be taxed for poaching Engineers The Fleet 18
Walter_white Should I do A levels and become an officer even though I've already applied as a rating? Joining the Royal Navy 25
Sumo Just another day at the office or should have been? Miscellaneous 4
U temporary medicaly unfit - how long should it take Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
BillyNoMates Every Forum should have its' own theme music. The Gash Barge 1
joeG How much money should i take to raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Jack90 How long should I wait? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
taffscrivs Who should appear on the new £20 note? Diamond Lil's 50
D Which engineering branch should i go for? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22