Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Should repeated RNFT failures be dis-rated?

Jenny_Dabber said:
Do they still give you the option of doing the 1.5 mile run or the bleep test?

Course before Britains New Navy (as the ads used to say) came along there was no such thing a fat Matelot, mostly due to the poor scran, Submariners in the DE days had an added slimming aid, diesel with everything. Discusting taste but kept the weight down :lol:

Shakey said:
the_matelot said:
And another thing (hic), why not a different type of RNFT? Running is all very well, but surely controlling a charged hose, carrying an oppo from a compartment, carrying extinguishers up a ladder is more relevant to our line of work. Oh, hang on, 80% of females would fail it straight away.......

As I understand it, the RNFT is gender fair. That's why they have the different times for the mile and half.

There was some wok done on devising a gender free test, based on damage control type scenarios as you suggest. Unfortunately, the females tended to fail it and as the ships are already manned with females you can see what would happen if they had to remove crew who failed that test.

Work on a gender free test is now on hold I believe.

I remember doing the fitness test in basic training, now I was a lot fitter and an awful lot lighter then and topped out at 50 odd press ups. Not a bad effort thinks the young FH, till he hears of a fat burd with HUGE tits getting to 80 or so. There was no way she was capable of that, having failed her run several times, but her girly press ups seemed just a little easier than your blokes ones.

Absolutely!

Dis-rate them, then give them six months to get their $hit in one sock. As it stands, you need to give people so many warnings, and establish such a big audit trail, that failures often creep under the radar when moving between units. At the end of the day, the Navy is a fighting arm, albeit not in the same vein as the combat arms of the Army.

The sanctions for failing an RNFT are also laughable - one line in a RORRS or OJAR! This whole business of people not being striped up due to failure of an RNFT is very selectively applied. On one hand, I've seen killicks lose acting rates due to failure, on the other, a girl from my era at BRNC (99-00) who has never passed a RNFT has not been denied a second stripe!

Bottom line- if you can't drag your ar$e around a 2.4km course in less than the prescribed time once a year, you really have nobusiness being in the RN, or any other uniform service for that matter!

Final dit- equal standards for both male and female personnel. Same job, same pay- same standards! Out with drag ar$es!

Some interesting points

Disrate RNFT failures? This is happening, on my Ship we have a WEM(R)1 who was reverted from LWEM after his last LRCC failure due to fitness. Also 2 2-star STDs who have both been LSTD but reverted due to inability to complete LRCC due to RNFT failure and have to take orders from the 1 star LALSTD who is a rouge-derriere!

Officers promotion without RNFT? Obviously depends upon where you are and how it's enforced. My own DO worked particularly hard to pass his RNFT so he could pick up his half stripe on the date it was due.

DOs mentoring of RNFT failures within their division? As much as it pains me to say I must mention that how can you threaten a JR in their early 20s who can't pass RNFT when their DO, a CPO (who is too young for the Rockport walk) hasn't passed an RNFT since it was introduced

Special Command Courses? We can't get rid can we? - there are people out there with genuine injuries other than knackered knees caused by oversize guts. On the other hand, the WAFU with the artificial leg recently completed a normal command course so why can't all?

The warning system? Too much hassle and paperwork for most, this is not just the case for RNFT failures, the same can be said for those who can't complete taskbooks

One standard for all in the RNFT? Did a male police officer not recently successfully get different standards for male/female in 2k4 run/MSFT changed by going to court? If I remember when RNFT was first introduced there was meant to be 2 parts to the test - an age/gender specific test of fitness then a non age/gender test for all to pass. I believe that this second part could never be decided upon so being in date for BSSC/ISSC was deemed appropriate.

I see so often people being out of date for various things, perhaps we could take a leaf out of the RAF book - There Common Core Skills package to me seems like a good idea and by ensuring everyone is indate for CCS they are readily deployable.
So what to put into RN CCS then?? My money would be on RNFT, NAPWT, AGR test, you could include the Drugs/Alcohol lecture, first aid, DRIU and FF. If a ship was allocated a week in base port per year for nothing other than CCS you would ensure everyone (including the Topmast squad) is in date for everything we must be.

As RNFT did not exist in my time perhaps I could be enlightened.

I fully understand why a person who fails the test should not be promoted but fail to grasp the concept of a person who has passed and was then promoted is later de-moted cos he failed his next RNFT.

If you are physically unfit to be a PO surely the same applies to being a LH or AB. Surely a financial penalty, say cut in his daily pay rate would quickly encourage a person to pass and you still keep a qualified man in his post.

Bemused of Tunbridge Wells

Nutty

2 female officers at HMS COLLINGWOOD have been allowed to be striped up to Lt by doing the Rockport Walk - they are only in their 20s and are medically fit!!! the navy needs to sort this out

lgu98141 said:
2 female officers at HMS COLLINGWOOD have been allowed to be striped up to Lt by doing the Rockport Walk - they are only in their 20s and are medically fit!!! the navy needs to sort this out
This really gets my goat, the navy carps on about equal rights etc. but as usual and since the dawn of time it is still one rule for one. Eg. Last time I was at Royal Arthur, the men ran in boots and the women in trainers. And why the above mentioned leniency with fitness? There are plenty of decent female athletes and women in general that can run faster and harded than their male counterparts, so why does the mob give them extra time and leniency? Because it is sexist that is why, always has been and always will be.
Fellow instructor at grad was teaching when one of the girls in the class had an argument with a lad and stormed out crying despite orders not to by her instructor. Instead of being disciplined, she blubbed to a girl schooly officer type and was excused cos she was flying flag bravo...
Fat oafs that can't pass the fitness test or any other in the navy should be discharged, they are baggage that the navy doesn't need, I always cringe when I see the botnecks looking so smart on TV parades, then they pan to Jack in his spary on uniform with lard arse girlies who look like they are smuggling wok's down the front of their trousers.

Lingyai said:
TheCommunicator said:
Lingyai said:
smuggling wok's down the front of their trousers.
HaHa, that made me laugh, reminded me of an incident a few years ago involving an AB Wafu and the RAF Police at Basrah airport!!
You can't leave us in suspense shipmate....

Me and 2 AB Wafus were working as couriers for the Iraq Survey Group, one of which was coming back from his stint in Baghdad. Well, the famous Crossed Swords in Baghdad have a large number of tin helmets around them supposedly taken from dead Iranians during the Iran/Iraq war. One of these helmets would make a great gizzit thought Gaz and stashed it in the bottom of his Bergan. All was fine until he found himself at the front of the queue for the X-Ray scanner at Basrah airport on his way back to Cyprus. In went the Bergan, the conveyor stopped and he was summonsed to the screen to explain the contents of his bag, in particular the strange helmet shaped item!! On the spot, blushing and farting he proudly announced that it was a WOK!!!! The RAF Coppers were confused as to why he would be carrying a wok around Iraq and there in front of the whole queue of squaddies going home Gaz had to empty his bag and hand over this wok. Never did ask him why he didn't just say it was his helmet??

TheCommunicator said:
Some interesting points

I see so often people being out of date for various things, perhaps we could take a leaf out of the RAF book - There Common Core Skills package to me seems like a good idea and by ensuring everyone is indate for CCS they are readily deployable.
So what to put into RN CCS then?? My money would be on RNFT, NAPWT, AGR test, you could include the Drugs/Alcohol lecture, first aid, DRIU and FF. If a ship was allocated a week in base port per year for nothing other than CCS you would ensure everyone (including the Topmast squad) is in date for everything we must be.

CCS includes respirator testing, first aid, fieldcraft and annual weapons testing, and is actually a good laugh,it doesn't include the RAFFT. I have to get around 8.7 in my bleep test, a Flt Sgt same age group has to get 6.1 and do 20 sit ups and about 15 press ups, he doesn't get the option of the Rockport Walk however I do.

Standardising throughout the armed forces may be a good pplace to start!

Latest Threads