Should ID be required when Voting?

Sumo

War Hero
I use postal Vote as I worked away a lot and could never make voting.
Proof of ID no problem, as ex-service we were used to that.
Postal Fraud is the main one, if you google it, it is not that uncommon?
Over on ARRSE so say they had 2 votes when students, if they applied for postal they were sent them to student and parents home, the 2 registering authorities don't or didn't have a link up?

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
I'm not against having to prove ID - we have it for many other things now - but against a National ID card for the simple reason of cost vs benefit. There is no real evidence of electoral fraud on a scale large enough to actually affect a vote, which is supposed to be the real concern.

Most people have several forms of ID - drivers license, passport, even a bank card - and the fall back could be production of a polling card so I am unclear on why there is opposition to the concept of having to prove you are eligible to vote. And as noted before, once your vote is cast it cannot be cast again. If anyone is going to deliberately attempt to defraud the system then the obvious way would be by postal vote, not by turning up to a polling station and attempting to vote more than once.

Unless someone can produce real evidence of significant fraud, rather than the odd apocryphal case, I really don't see it as a problem that needs considered.

Sumo

War Hero
This is a bit uuumm, google postal fraud there seems to be a few labour cases on line
Before November ends, the Tories will have millions of votes. Why? Postal voting.
In 2017, 8.4 million people voted by post, and most will probably have voted Conservative. One in five votes were by post, and postal voters were 20% more likely to cast a ballot than people who voted in person. With a winter polling day in 2019, Boris Johnson must be rubbing his hands with glee.
Don't let the Tories post their way to victory. Will you register for a postal vote today?
Here's the thing: winning campaigns have to get their voters out. Come rain or shine, our victory depends on it.
Register now. Do it for the rough sleepers our movement would house in our first term. For the people who do a decent day's work and somehow still end up out of pocket. For the doctors and nurses who want to work for public good, not private profit. For our schools. For the climate. Do it for the many, Stephen.
Registering for a postal vote is the best five minutes you can spend today. Go spend it!
Team Labour
Tory postal votes win elections. We need to fight back, so register now. It only takes a few minutes.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
In a sense a national ID card is already being stealthily produced since the photo driving licence was introduced, you don't even get a paper copy nowadays, plus it's a source of revenue as the photo licence only lasts for 10 years before you have to renew it. Win win for any government.

Obviously doesn't apply to non-drivers.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I truly cannot understand why anyone would be opposed to an ID card.

We (most of us) on this site carried one for years with no problem. people are happy to carry a passport or pink driving licence - why not an ID card? You may well have other (unofficial) ID in your wallet from clubs or associations. So why not an officially recognised and endorsed 'credit card' sized ID. Personally I'm not bothered about whether or not it is biometric and has DNA, apart from the costs involved.

If stopped by the Police or proving your identity (banks and shops when paying by card) in any number of cases, a quick flash of the card and job jobbed.

When we first came to Spain, the Resident's card was a photo ID with a thumbprint on it too. It was great! I lost mine but SWMBO still has her one and it gets used regularly.

Sadly they were stopped........ allegedly one of the reasons being Brits complaining - a bit Ironic.

Happily a lot of places accept the pink (Spanish) driving licence as ID but they are not obliged to. We are SUPPOSED to carry our Residencia (an A4 sheet) AND our passport.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Because it would be compulsory, not voluntary. I, as I'm sure everyone here that served, had to have your ID card on you AAT. Panicking if you couldn't find it. Fined or given a punishment if you lost it. (I had to weed the road to Trevor range with a hand trowel for a week when ships company at Raleigh for losing my ID card over the side of a yacht whilst racing) No thanks.
In addition, it's just one more thing that will be able to be forged and your Identity stolen.

. people are happy to carry a passport or pink driving licence - why not an ID card?
Because you choose to carry it, not because you have to carry it.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I see Dappers point, before I swapped my paper licence (it fell apart) I only used my passport in the UK if I knew I was going to have to prove my ID, such as picking up a parcel from the PO, I use my photo driving licence now which I carry all the time as it's in my wallet.

If they did introduce an ID card I'm guessing they'd have to make a law stating it was compulsory to carry it at all times, something they managed in wartime with emergency powers but good luck with getting that law through parliament these days.

Ballistic

War Hero
As far as potential election fraud at the polling station goes, Dredd hinted at a solution in post #15.

Produce your polling card when you vote.
Polling card is retained by staff, ensuring one card = one vote.

I know it's not perfect, but it has the advantage of no additional cost to implement.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
If they did introduce an ID card I'm guessing they'd have to make a law stating it was compulsory to carry it at all times,
And if it's compulsory to carry it, then there must be punitive measures for not carrying it. The wooden tops don't even respond to burglary.

something they managed in wartime with emergency powers
I imagine people could see the reason behind it and complied. But back in the day, most people did comply did they not? Today's generation perhaps not.

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator

We (most of us) on this site carried one for years with no problem. people are happy to carry a passport or pink driving licence - why not an ID card? You may well have other (unofficial) ID in your wallet from clubs or associations. So why not an officially recognised and endorsed 'credit card' sized ID. Personally I'm not bothered about whether or not it is biometric and has DNA, apart from the costs involved.

If stopped by the Police or proving your identity (banks and shops when paying by card) in any number of cases, a quick flash of the card and job jobbed.

When we first came to Spain, the Resident's card was a photo ID with a thumbprint on it too. It was great! I lost mine but SWMBO still has her one and it gets used regularly.

Sadly they were stopped........ allegedly one of the reasons being Brits complaining - a bit Ironic.

Happily a lot of places accept the pink (Spanish) driving licence as ID but they are not obliged to. We are SUPPOSED to carry our Residencia (an A4 sheet) AND our passport.

The issue is one of voluntary as opposed to mandatory.

While it is mandatory for me to have a valid license to drive a vehicle legally in the UK, according to the restrictions imposed, that is still voluntary as I choose to drive. I need to prove that I have met the relevant criteria before I can get one, and I need to stay within the rules to make sure I can keep it. As soon as I can no longer drive, for whatever reason, then I don't need one. To a certain extent the passport is the same - I only need it if I choose to leave this green and pleasant isle (and get back in, of course!).

The principle of universal suffrage is that the citizen is automatically entitled to vote with only a very few restrictions in certain cases e.g. serving prisoners. Therefore they should not need to prove their ID as they only get to vote once in any case. And even then there is a rule that means they need to be registered prior to the election, otherwise they cannot participate.

A National ID card is not necessary and the cost to administer would be money better spent elsewhere (plus, I would need to pay yet again for something I already pay elsewhere to do). Those who need to prove their ID already have various means to do so. Those who cannot are severely restricted in what they can do and they are few and far between. I have yet to fail to do something on the basis of being unable to prove who I am, or been overly inconvenienced when asked to do so.

I am unconvinced there is a problem that needs sorting in this respect. And with the gradual loss of privacy and freedoms as it is, this is another step down a road we really should not want to go.

Latest Threads