Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should ID be required when Voting?

slim

War Hero
There has been a fair bit in the news recently about Election fraud.
Is it time that ID should be proven when casting your vote?
In this day and age most people have some form of Photo ID so it should not be a problem.
Also it has been reported that some students are intending voting more than once by casting their at university and also at their home address.

What do RR members think?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I don't see how a student can vote twice, you have to be registered in whatever area you want to vote in and your documentation gets sent to that address.

Thinking about it I would say election fraud is quite difficult with the system as it stands today.

rebbonk

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
I'm personally against it, though I always take my voting card to the station with me.

It's my understanding that most frauds are connected with the postal vote, which I'm generally against unless you have a very good reason.

I would happily support severe penalties for those that do commit voting fraud, with (say) a minimum custodial sentence of five years.

slim

War Hero
I don't see how a student can vote twice, you have to be registered in whatever area you want to vote in and your documentation gets sent to that address.
Students are allowed to register in more than one place. ... Students are eligible to vote in local elections if registered in two areas, but can by law only vote once in Parliamentary elections.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I wasn't aware about the local election part, I was thinking parliamentary election anyway, and they'd still only get one set of documentation sent out.

I have no issue with a national ID card. Something that holds both your National Insurance number and a photo.

Not having anything to hide, I cannot see the problem. Now if they start going biometric and want it to hold DNA data or such like then I would object. Simple NI number and photo is fine.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
ID card - no problem.

Biometrics? Have any of you used a biometric passport to 'rush' you through the entry to UK process? What a load of bollix they are! I have never taken less than about 5 minutes to get through one of these god dammed machines. Glasses off - can't see next bit - start again. Moved passport - start again.

Bah humbug.

Seadog

War Hero
ID card - no problem.

Biometrics? Have any of you used a biometric passport to 'rush' you through the entry to UK process? What a load of bollix they are! I have never taken less than about 5 minutes to get through one of these god dammed machines. Glasses off - can't see next bit - start again. Moved passport - start again.

Bah humbug.

If you have a face that will stop a clock, it will surely slow down a biometric scanner.

ID to vote, yes. Failing that, culturally insensitive spot checks and, where fraud is proven in court, a deterrent jail sentence, publicised on the sides of buses and motorway flyovers.

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
they'd still only get one set of documentation sent out.
But one does not need to Polling Card to vote. Yes, it helps the staff find you on the list, but production of the Polling Card at the Polling Station is not mandatory.

One merely has to confirm name and address - which you could quote from any piece of local knowledge. For example my neighbour passed away earlier in the year. I know his name and his address, and that his family have not yet sold on nor tenanted that address. What is to stop me pretending to be him; wait for the staff to change over, then go back to use my own vote?

Production of the Polling Card should be mandatory.

However none of that cures the double-voting student, nor the appalling confidence trick that is the postal vote.

fishhead

War Hero
The original motive for postal votes was well intentioned but unfortunately it has been seized upon by those especially in inner city constituencies to bolster the voting for one party in particular. I think women are the most likely to get their vote stolen in this way but I expect anyone old or vulnerable are equally exposed.
I have a postal vote as does Mrs FH and my daughter mainly because we can't be bothered to traipse down to the polling station and I don't think we are alone in that regard.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
The original motive for postal votes was well intentioned but unfortunately it has been seized upon by those especially in inner city constituencies to bolster the voting for one party in particular. I think women are the most likely to get their vote stolen in this way but I expect anyone old or vulnerable are equally exposed.
I have a postal vote as does Mrs FH and my daughter mainly because we can't be bothered to traipse down to the polling station and I don't think we are alone in that regard.
Seconded.

Sumo

War Hero
I use postal Vote as I worked away a lot and could never make voting.
Proof of ID no problem, as ex-service we were used to that.
Postal Fraud is the main one, if you google it, it is not that uncommon?
Over on ARRSE so say they had 2 votes when students, if they applied for postal they were sent them to student and parents home, the 2 registering authorities don't or didn't have a link up?

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
I'm not against having to prove ID - we have it for many other things now - but against a National ID card for the simple reason of cost vs benefit. There is no real evidence of electoral fraud on a scale large enough to actually affect a vote, which is supposed to be the real concern.

Most people have several forms of ID - drivers license, passport, even a bank card - and the fall back could be production of a polling card so I am unclear on why there is opposition to the concept of having to prove you are eligible to vote. And as noted before, once your vote is cast it cannot be cast again. If anyone is going to deliberately attempt to defraud the system then the obvious way would be by postal vote, not by turning up to a polling station and attempting to vote more than once.

Unless someone can produce real evidence of significant fraud, rather than the odd apocryphal case, I really don't see it as a problem that needs considered.

Sumo

War Hero
This is a bit uuumm, google postal fraud there seems to be a few labour cases on line
Before November ends, the Tories will have millions of votes. Why? Postal voting.
In 2017, 8.4 million people voted by post, and most will probably have voted Conservative. One in five votes were by post, and postal voters were 20% more likely to cast a ballot than people who voted in person. With a winter polling day in 2019, Boris Johnson must be rubbing his hands with glee.
Don't let the Tories post their way to victory. Will you register for a postal vote today?
Here's the thing: winning campaigns have to get their voters out. Come rain or shine, our victory depends on it.
Register now. Do it for the rough sleepers our movement would house in our first term. For the people who do a decent day's work and somehow still end up out of pocket. For the doctors and nurses who want to work for public good, not private profit. For our schools. For the climate. Do it for the many, Stephen.
Registering for a postal vote is the best five minutes you can spend today. Go spend it!
Team Labour
Tory postal votes win elections. We need to fight back, so register now. It only takes a few minutes.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
In a sense a national ID card is already being stealthily produced since the photo driving licence was introduced, you don't even get a paper copy nowadays, plus it's a source of revenue as the photo licence only lasts for 10 years before you have to renew it. Win win for any government.

Obviously doesn't apply to non-drivers.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I truly cannot understand why anyone would be opposed to an ID card.

We (most of us) on this site carried one for years with no problem. people are happy to carry a passport or pink driving licence - why not an ID card? You may well have other (unofficial) ID in your wallet from clubs or associations. So why not an officially recognised and endorsed 'credit card' sized ID. Personally I'm not bothered about whether or not it is biometric and has DNA, apart from the costs involved.

If stopped by the Police or proving your identity (banks and shops when paying by card) in any number of cases, a quick flash of the card and job jobbed.

When we first came to Spain, the Resident's card was a photo ID with a thumbprint on it too. It was great! I lost mine but SWMBO still has her one and it gets used regularly.

Sadly they were stopped........ allegedly one of the reasons being Brits complaining - a bit Ironic.

Happily a lot of places accept the pink (Spanish) driving licence as ID but they are not obliged to. We are SUPPOSED to carry our Residencia (an A4 sheet) AND our passport.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I truly cannot understand why anyone would be opposed to an ID card.
Because it would be compulsory, not voluntary. I, as I'm sure everyone here that served, had to have your ID card on you AAT. Panicking if you couldn't find it. Fined or given a punishment if you lost it. (I had to weed the road to Trevor range with a hand trowel for a week when ships company at Raleigh for losing my ID card over the side of a yacht whilst racing) No thanks.
In addition, it's just one more thing that will be able to be forged and your Identity stolen.

. people are happy to carry a passport or pink driving licence - why not an ID card?
Because you choose to carry it, not because you have to carry it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Puppy lovers should paws for thought to avoid being ‘Petfished’ this Christmas, warns Chief Veterinary Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Guidance to parents and guardians: when you should book a coronavirus test for your child MoD News 0
G Should I tell my AFCO? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
K Passed medical, what is next and how long should I expect before intake? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS How should competition policy react to coronavirus? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 8 things you should know about your student loan MoD News 0
C Should I inform my afco about going to doctors? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
M Should I join the Reserves or Regular? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS General public should not have to pay for 101 non-emergency calls from tomorrow MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Should an oral hearing be impacted by the coronavirus? MoD News 0
J Joining as a chef, should I join the RFA or the RN? RFA 11
J Should I join the RN or RFA as a chef. Joining the Royal Navy 6
MoD_RSS Housing Secretary: beautiful homes should become 'norm' MoD News 0
P How long before should you prepare for the PJFT? Joining the Royal Navy 20
MoD_RSS Charity can and should lead the way in taking people’s expectations seriously MoD News 0
slim Anyone should be allowed to 'identify' as black regardless of the colour of their skin or background, say university leaders Current Affairs 16
D Should I wait until PRNC? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
slim Should Retired Old and Bold Pharts Leave RR? Diamond Lil's 59
U First deployment coming up soon, what should I bring? RFA 12
MoD_RSS All new rapid chargepoints should offer card payment by 2020 MoD News 0
B What should I do. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Speech: International community should be united in demanding peace in Sudan and Darfur MoD News 0
skyvet Chas Cooke (Why Should Britain Tremble) The Book Club 5
B What should I do? UPO/Careers Office 36
MoD_RSS Speech: Effective solutions to gender issues should be sustained: speech by Philip Smith MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Key facts you should know about the apprenticeship levy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: ‘What should the Spending Review focus on?’: speech by the Chief Secretary to the Treasury MoD News 0
slim Should the average white person apologise for Slavery? Diamond Lil's 26
MoD_RSS Press release: Damian Hinds: School leaders should ditch email culture to cut workload MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Girls’ education should be a development priority for the Commonwealth MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Business and communities should plan now for climate change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Five steps motorists should take to avoid deer collisions this autumn MoD News 0
N Should I even be considering this? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
B Should I have received an application form in the post? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
vauxhall What is Abatement and Why Should I Care? Finance & Pensions 0
T what format and how long should my urn be. Joining the Royal Navy 14
R Should I wait? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
Maxpowers AET What aspects of math should I practice? The Fleet Air Arm 52
R How long should I expect to wait for my start date? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
TechFin Heading to the Careers Office, Anything I should ask? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
S How far past basic fitness requirements should I aim for? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
A How much should I be able to squat? Health & Fitness 5
Hooly How can the Navy operate with 35% of PO(ET) missing. Should Industry be taxed for poaching Engineers The Fleet 18
Walter_white Should I do A levels and become an officer even though I've already applied as a rating? Joining the Royal Navy 25
Sumo Just another day at the office or should have been? Miscellaneous 4
U temporary medicaly unfit - how long should it take Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
BillyNoMates Every Forum should have its' own theme music. The Gash Barge 1
joeG How much money should i take to raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Jack90 How long should I wait? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
taffscrivs Who should appear on the new £20 note? Diamond Lil's 50