Should I wait?

Good choice to wait. I plodded by in factory/labouring jobs for a few years until I finally got in. You will know it was worth the wait when you turn up to Raleigh with years of motivation behind you, ready to get stuck in.

Best of luck in the future

Edit; As you have a while to wait yet - I would advise asking for the opportunity to attend a submarine acquaint course. There is nothing to lose whilst waiting and after seeing a boat and meeting some of the crew your outlook may change

Last edited:

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
You must be mistaken about not wanting to be a Faslane, I brought the subject up with the 1st Sea Lord a couple of years ago, suggesting that if all Boats were based at Faslane it would put people off wanting to join them. I was assured that this would not be the case. :eek:

You must be mistaken about not wanting to be a Faslane, I brought the subject up with the 1st Sea Lord a couple of years ago, suggesting that if all Boats were based at Faslane it would put people off wanting to join them. I was assured that this would not be the case. :eek:
Haha maybe for some, particularly northerners, it is alright. However when you live 15 minutes into Cornwall i.e right next to Devonport, travelling to Scotland and back all the time becomes quite unattractive considering the alternative!

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Haha maybe for some, particularly northerners, it is alright. However when you live 15 minutes into Cornwall i.e right next to Devonport, travelling to Scotland and back all the time becomes quite unattractive considering the alternative!
When/If you join the RN perhaps you could tell the !st Sea Lord (its a different one now) that in your case janner was right.

travel been there done that

How long have you been in?
Are you going from a surplus job to shortage one?
And you are going from S/M to S/M

Branch changing has always depended on time place and pussers needs, don't join assuming you can easily change branches or from S/M to Skimmer
ME(SM) and it's predecessor branch titles have never been a surplus branch, at least not since the 80's. All engineering branches are struggling at the moment.
By the looks of it we are okay at ET level (possibly lack experience) but I wouldn't have put stock in me getting a transfer at any level above that.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

You have not yet discovered the vagaries of the RN.....

My boat - based in Guzz. Attack Trainer and Simulator sited in Faslane. Mucho flying up and down (ie Jollies!)
Pusser realised this was a problem and so transferred the Attack Trainer and Simulator to Plymouth - hurrah.... NOT.
My boat now based in Faslane..... you can see where this is going, can't you?

True dit two clips.

You have not yet discovered the vagaries of the RN.....

My boat - based in Guzz. Attack Trainer and Simulator sited in Faslane. Mucho flying up and down (ie Jollies!)
Pusser realised this was a problem and so transferred the Attack Trainer and Simulator to Plymouth - hurrah.... NOT.
My boat now based in Faslane..... you can see where this is going, can't you?

True dit two clips.
no please exsplaino_O:p