Should I wait?

Received some News from my AFCO that after waiting a year already, my entry date has been moved back at LEAST another 12 months unless I want to go submariner (which I don't).
Just for a bit of context, I'm already 22 and have been trying to join since I was 16 (other delays were medical etc) and just want to get started on a proper career.

Any advice on if it is worth waiting yet again, or looking at going for another trade? if I were to change trades, would I be put to the back of the waiting list again?

Seadog

War Hero
and just want to get started on a proper career.
But insufficient want to “go submariner”.

I jumped the queue for my preferred branch because - thanks to my onside civvy employer, I was able to fill a short notice space at short notice.

But that was back when Noah needed a chippy at short notice.

clonmel

Lantern Swinger
Do not join in a role that you don't want to do, just so you can don a blue uniform earlier; you'll not be motivated towards Phase 2 trg, and will either not excel or indeed possibly fail.

Further, if you do qualify in whatever role you elect to join early as, you will do very very well ever to re-muster. It does happen, I'm not saying it doesn't, but it's not as commonplace as some would have you believe.

I'd offer, as a yardstick, to plan on doing 5yrs in the role you initially qualify in, before you will be put forward for re-muster. That's a long time to be in a role you ain't happy in.

I'm old. But I think I was the equivalent of better than an ET(WE). If you DO go boats, you will get a load of experience and responsibility VERY quickly - not to mention the additional cash! However, the downsides are, yes, you'll be in boats (especially if you don't really fancy the idea) and yes, you'll be in God's country a lot. Your choice. ;)

WESM is cheers easy. I'd be a WE if I had to do it all again....

I didn't volunteer fir subs I was forced. Looking back I wouldn't change it.

But as others have said don't join as something you don't want. (don't believe the transfer later bull either)

Have Raf got nothing similar?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

WESM is cheers easy. I'd be a WE if I had to do it all again....

I didn't volunteer fir subs I was forced. Looking back I wouldn't change it.

But as others have said don't join as something you don't want. (don't believe the transfer later bull either)

Have Raf got nothing similar?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
RAF wtf, he said he wanted a proper career, ffs.

Branch transferring isn't a myth chaps. I am currently four months away from transferring to MA(SM) from ME(SM). Only took me 3 weeks to get a course date from getting the ball rolling. Was a relatively smooth process.
To echo the other posts, WESM is quite a cushty job on board however if it's not your thing then don't do it just for the sake of it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Branch transferring isn't a myth chaps. I am currently four months away from transferring to MA(SM) from ME(SM). Only took me 3 weeks to get a course date from getting the ball rolling. Was a relatively smooth process.
To echo the other posts, WESM is quite a cushty job on board however if it's not your thing then don't do it just for the sake of it.

How long have you been in?
Are you going from a surplus job to shortage one?
And you are going from S/M to S/M

Branch changing has always depended on time place and pussers needs, don't join assuming you can easily change branches or from S/M to Skimmer

3 years. I don't know the current manning of MESM but I know MASM is shortage.
I'm aware it's all needs of the service I'm just informing folk that it does indeed happen but certainly isn't a given.

How long have you been in?
Are you going from a surplus job to shortage one?
And you are going from S/M to S/M

Branch changing has always depended on time place and pussers needs, don't join assuming you can easily change branches or from S/M to Skimmer
ME(SM) and it's predecessor branch titles have never been a surplus branch, at least not since the 80's. All engineering branches are struggling at the moment.

All that served, new it was possible to branch change, and I knew a chap go from Skimmer Stoker to Royal Marine it took him 4 years from applying to changing uniform. As said above if you are set on a specific branch then it is worth the wait, because trying to change once in could take longer than your current wait, if you accept the S/M offer? There used to be a min return of service of 5 years before going skimmer.

Go and have a good one to one with your AFCO.

Thanks for the replies, I have told my AFCO I will wait as there are a few aspects of being a submariner that I'm not keen on. Will just have to keep busy in the meantime!

All that served, new it was possible to branch change, and I knew a chap go from Skimmer Stoker to Royal Marine it took him 4 years from applying to changing uniform. As said above if you are set on a specific branch then it is worth the wait, because trying to change once in could take longer than your current wait, if you accept the S/M offer? There used to be a min return of service of 5 years before going skimmer.

Go and have a good one to one with your AFCO.
//Dit on//

I signed the papers having been accepted as a Tiffy App. Found it meant going to school - I didn't like school. Changed tack and joined as a seaman. Saw the Air REMs had an easy time of it, so applied to join them. No probs they said, but their is a 2 year waiting list. How about GS REM. Done! Came off LREM's course then saw an advert for the new CT branch - one week of aptitude tests and I was in! Sadly (or not!) I had a serious operation after 3 or 4 months. SCU did offer to help me catch up, but it was impossible, so back to Collingrad, where I discovered my Mechs marks from Killick's course were still applicable, so onto Mechs course I jolly well went.

I also volunteered for boats as a baby dabber - got knocked back when I re-catted.
I also volunteered for boats as a baby REM - got knocked back when I got my hook.
Made it from Mech's course!

And that children is how I went from a Tiff App to a Chief Tiff!

//As you were//

Latest Threads