Should I Take It?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Lost_Soul, Oct 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well i head to HMS Raleigh on Sunday, in my Pre-Joining brief my Careers Advisor suggested i could take an Ipod or something similar, But in the Kit List it say's not to take any MP3 players etc.

What will happen if i take a Nintendo Ds or a PSP will it go against me or will it just get stored till my training is complete?

Any Help Greatly Appreciated

2. It's not school. It wont go against you as no one will know you have it.
    It's not illegal or against the rules to have one. They don't go through your baggage to see what you have.

If you don't take it you will be laying in bed nighttime or weekends wondering why your the only one not listening to music.
  3. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

I'd avoid taking anything that can be attributed or blamed for a drop in performance or lack of focus whilst in training. Take a DS, iPod, whatever and as soon as you **** up, they'll start asking exactly what you do with your spare time when you could be revising, getting sleep, pressing kit, etc. Leave the spoddiness to the spods - the berks who go to Raleigh thinking it is a glorified holiday camp and should afford themslves every available luxury will soon find out that it is an eight week coarse-filter program to strain off the ***** and the tossers who infect the higher order in the navy - i.e. people like me trying to do their jobs rather than sort out other people's children. You'll get plenty of time to play with your toys - just get your mind on being a matelot and use the next three months as a springboard for your career.

4. I agree whole heartdly with LA above, plus there is always the chance it might get 'lost', or 'borrowed'. Enjoy your basic training!
  5. Levers_Aligned

Rather than out working on your fitness/bonding with your team/making sure your personal admin is flawless? How's about a game of good-old five-a-side? Squash? Even go for a run to shave off seconds of your time? Press your 4s, do your footwear? I mean, this is what you're being paid to do, isn't it? From the moment you go through the gates, you're an employee of Her Britannic Majesty and all that.

No idea how the **** we managed in 'the old days' you know. I mean, the RN has only been kicking people's arses for nigh-on 400 years without mobile phones and iPods and the like. My time at Raleigh (29 years ago) was such hell without text messages to read, in-ear music, Nintendos and the like. I can see it coming ... the RNFT on the ******* Wii.

Jesus. Hell in a Pusser Tilly, and no mistake.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

To clarify the issue:

The reason you are not allowed to use MP3 players is basically two fold;

1. Phase One training is very intensive, time consuming & is all about developing your ability to work in a team both during the training and in the evenings when you're getting ready for the next day. Submerging in a bubble of self-indulgence listening to Status Quo's latest album is not really being a team player. Nor is playing Pokemon Diamond on your DS Lite.

2. You need to be able to hear what is going on around you for safety reasons.

There are common sense issues too:

1. They're expensive & attractive to those that haven't got one. If it goes missing it's your fault as you were told not to.

2. MP3 players maybe good to use traveling to/from training, but may not be used at Raleigh for the reasons stated.

3. What some classes have done in the past is take inexpensive CD's & accept if they get damaged or go missing, it's no great loss. Some classes club together to but a cheap CD player - then raffle it off/draw lots at the end of training. There is nothing worse in a mess, however, than several CD Players/Radios etc., playing different stuff at the same time - it is completely maddening.

No matter what is said, some people take them, however, be prepared to have them confiscated- not a good start by drawing attention to yourself as you begin training.
  7. If my memory serves me rightly you will be either awake or asleep.
    When awake you will be fully occupied, and your mess mates may not take kindly to you being in your own 'bubble' rather than playing as a team.
    You cannot be plugged into an ipod and concentrate fully on the task in hand; witness a young man near here who was mown down by a train whilst in his own little world, despite the warning shouts of a lot of people.
    You need to concentrate on the job in hand.
  8. IPODS should only be used by fully trained sailors.
    On boarding ops.
    In war zones.
  9. Of course, how stupid of me!

10. Brilliant Lol
  11. NO names, no pack drill for PERSEC, Obviously !!!!
  12. Ninja, so is it okay to take one, as you said, to listen to when travelling to and from Raleigh, and then hiding it away until basic is over?
  13. FFS!
    Are you the relief for the guy on Cornwall?
  14. Care to explain what that means, in English?
  15. Levers_Aligned

It means, 'don't take the ******* thing.' Unless, of course, you wish to be lumped in with our illustrious dickheaded mascot, caught with his iPod which the Iranians liberated him of.

Just leave the toys at home, concentrate on putting down the foundations of a career, get your head down to some serious work, strive to be the best and try your damndest not to be our ******* burden when you join the fleet, yeah? We have enough trouble trying to catch the mayfly-lifed attention-spans of the academic cripples who make it through the filter to be saddled with people who are umbiically joined to their 'entertainment systems' and can't last one, solitary moment without sliding open their mobile and turbo-thumbing their way through another tract of inelligible horseshit. Nine weeks - that's all it is. See it as a challenge. You might just ******* well discover a 'new you' at the end of it all. A bit like rehab, but with more press-ups.

16. As the late great Woody Guthrie used to say "Take it, but take it easy." Oh no, that was about life.
    Is it impossible for the youth of today to live without a continuous soundtrack "DOUF DOUFFING" in the background, sure music is great to listen to but FFS can you not live without your MP3 iPod for 8 weeks. How did we cope with just ghetto blasters or Solid State Transistor radios!!
  17. Thanks Levers, saved me a job.
  18. lol lol lol
  19. Levers_Aligned

Always a pleasure, my learned friend.

20. I guess people missed the part where I explained it would be hidden away for the whole ******* duration of basic.

Reading comprehension is your friend.