Should I hand my kit in? (RMR is pissing me off!)

Discussion in 'RMR' started by The_Wonderer, Dec 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. (Here's the situation)

I have'nt been paid what I'm owed, and it's really messed up my Xmas.

I've been attending the RMR now for 18 mths, but only just started recieving pay again after the last 10 mths.

After being back trooped this year, my pay stopped for some unknown reason, and I was told that I would get everything I'm owed in the first payment with my new troop. I've attended every drill night since then (Feb 08 to present), and always signed the pay chits. Even after numurous notes, conversations with staff, and emails, it's still not right. I've put up with this for a year now, but this time I've had enough. I've calculated that I'm owed in the region of £400, and I was assured that I would get it in time for Xmas. (Obviously I did'nt)
    This has really pissed me off, considering that I've lost at least 4 times that amount in overtime that I've rejected just so I could attend the RMR.

On top of this, my wife (already unhappy with my decision to join) now has an even stronger arguement for me to hand my kit in. Her arguement is that it's more trouble than it's worth.
    (We have really felt the pinch this Xmas)

-What would you do?

2. If its something you want to do mate stick with it can guarentee that this has happened to us all from time to time it will sort itself out in due course. Been in reserves 18 years never once known money to be right either to little ot to much. But then again don't do it for the money.

3. Get in touch with JPA and sort it out instead of dripping my tits off.

Not a lot that RMR permanent staff can do to fix pay issues these days.

4. Joys to JPA. Fully understand mate. You do the job you should get the pay. My opinon, rap mate not worth the agro. Your upsetting the missus etc.

5. Yeah; did that once before; they can only pay what my unit passes on though eh?

Obviously I did'nt join for the money - who would?; it's not so much what I'm owed thats annoying, it's knowing what I've sacrificed in overtime for what I have'nt been paid for anyway.

On top of this; it has'nt done much for my relationship with my boss either.

7. Mate sorry to hear your having problems with the RMR and that your also feeling the pain financially this Christmas.

In all honesty its not just the RMR - its the Forces in general and JPA making peoples life a misery accross the board. Honestly I could tell you a story about there incompetence that would have you gobsmacked!!

Im assuming given the time youve "been in" your now Phase 2? Personally Id say think VERY carefully about leaving now bud. Every single guy I know/have been mates with who tried for the RMR has regretted leaving and thought about going back - both trained ranks and recruits. I can almost guarantee that if money is the only reason your thinking of wrapping (and not dislike for Soldiering, injury etc), then you will go back eventually!!

Obviously if its causing problems at home/work, then you do what you need to do, but thinking ouitside the box - if you leave (and the Mrs is chuffed to bits) then in 6-12 months time you go back because you miss it, it might just make the whole situation worse!!

Just be 100% sure you make the right decision Oppo.

8. Agree it's extremely unlikely to be the ITs fault. Do you appreciate that you are at liberty to raise a complaint about inadequate support from your admin staff? It's nause and you might find your DO trying to talk you out of it, but as soon as you're suggesting embarrassing your CO he'll take an interest in ensuring your admin is resolved.

9. Oooh er..Care to elaborate?

10. Bum fun perhaps??? oooo matron

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Once you fully complete your selection process (Recruiting Test, selection Interview, Medical, PJFT & your security clearance has been applied for) your details are uploaded to JPA & you are enrolled into the RMR - thereafter for as long as you put your claim in on JPA & it's authorised at unit level, there should be no further problems. (Allegedly)

If however, you actually left the RMR, before being "back-classed" & picking up a new holding troop, pending another RMR Selection, then that could explain your cessation of pay because you will have needed to complete any elements of selection which were time expired. It's rather difficult to understand how your pay could have stopped unless you actually left the RMR for a period of time.

Generally most units, once the documentation aspects are completed (pending security clearance), will pay travelling expenses only for those in holding troop & then pay their wages when they pass the selection weekend and start training again.

It's a bit of an odd one to have your pay stopped otherwise - in most cases the only reason your claim may not have been paid is if the claimant submitted it late, it was not approved or there is a query requiring documentary evidence for audit.

Several units are currently investigating running a second RMR Recruit Troop to enable a back-troop facility of only six rather than twelve months. It hasn't happened yet, but hopefully it will save losing individuals similarly placed.

12. Too true, JPA's admin is firmly up their ring. I had a similar emotional experience with them since I was in training during the change over from the old system to JPA. I didn't get paid for months on end either (which was a shambles). In my experience though as soon as they sort you out, things go quite smoothly thereafter.

13. Didn't you miss it so much the last time you left?

14. No; I definately did'nt leave after being back classed / (trooped), I never recieved any discharge papers, and was telephoned to confirm that I would be continuing with training. I was then initially told that I would simply continue recieving monthly pay.

Anyway; i've phoned JPA again and they are emailing the appropiate personnel to look into the 36 drill nights I'm owed.

Apparently they have until the 16th Dec to sort it.
    - I'm betting I have to phone them back.

-watch this space eh?

15. Only joined once NZ and have'nt left yet.
    To be honest; I'm hoping I dont have to either.
    But can I afford to continue (financially)?.

Maybe you have me confused with someone else

16. That'll be the date of the next pay run to make sure you get it this month, have they indicated whether the drill nights have ever been entered into the system by unit staff?

17. Apparently they have'nt.

18. In my discussions with reservists from many units this appears to be a common problem, unit staff blame the system, yet they haven't done their own job.

In the context of your initial question, to a large extent it depends on what's important to you. After a career as a GL in the regular service I can assure you that pay was screwed up on a regular basis, and I'm sure continues to be so. Are you in the RMR for the money, probably not. I do appreciate that some of the choices you've had to make have led to financial issues, and tensions both at home and at work, but is it worth that?

Despite that I would second the point above about strain in your relationship. Can't tell you what to do, but you need to work out the priority and whether the RMR is compatible with your relationship.

19. Thanks for the constructive response.

By the way; does anyone know exactly how much I am owed to the penny?
    What exactly is the hourly rate now?

20. That depends on the stage of your training. If you are phase 1 then it's £32 a day, phase 2 it goes up to approx £40.