Should I even be considering this?

When I was younger I always swore I'd give it a real crack at joining the RM. I don't think that's for me.

I am still interested in joining the RN, but in a job that's a little less 'killing machine'.

I'm hoping there would be a way to get in for a few years, learn some skills and have a better standing later in life.
(I also wouldn't mind using it to move to a different part of the commonwealth at a later stage)

Anyway..

The worries I have are as follows..

1. Work history - not exactly the best, it's quite on and off. Never really had any stability in anything from an early age. I want to improve my life and I'm not worried because I don't have 4yrs/ or want to give 4yrs, it's just that I've never done anything for 4yrs before. Why would I stick at this any better than any other job? And how can I persuade them to let me find out if this is really what will keep my focus?

2. Mental health - there have been a couple of bouts of what I guess is depression in my life and also drug use, I think from being unable to find direction. I've spoken to councillors and told them, in depth, about some thoughts I've had- which have been quite dark.

I want something that will grip me and turn my life around. Something I can be proud of..
Will a shoddy work history and a couple of dark episodes in my life prevent this, or might I get the opportunity to prove myself.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
When I was younger I always swore I'd give it a real crack at joining the RM. I don't think that's for me.

I am still interested in joining the RN, but in a job that's a little less 'killing machine'.

I'm hoping there would be a way to get in for a few years, learn some skills and have a better standing later in life.
(I also wouldn't mind using it to move to a different part of the commonwealth at a later stage)

Anyway..

1. Work history - not exactly the best, it's quite on and off. Never really had any stability in anything from an early age. I want to improve my life and I'm not worried because I don't have 4yrs/ or want to give 4yrs, it's just that I've never done anything for 4yrs before. Why would I stick at this any better than any other job? And how can I persuade them to let me find out if this is really what will keep my focus?

2. Mental health - there have been a couple of bouts of what I guess is depression in my life and also drug use, I think from being unable to find direction. I've spoken to councillors and told them, in depth, about some thoughts I've had- which have been quite dark.

I want something that will grip me and turn my life around. Something I can be proud of..
Will a shoddy work history and a couple of dark episodes in my life prevent this, or might I get the opportunity to prove myself.
Short, snappy answers.

1. Chopping & changing jobs isn't an issue, as long as you weren,t sacked, issue is prolonged and repeated periods of unemployment. Only you know whether you can stick with a job for 4+ years, but if you do not opt out in the first six months, you won't have a choice. If that isn't acceptable, don't apply.
2. Mental Health issues requiring more than 12 consecutive month's treatment (counselling/medication) or, three or more individual occurrences are an outright bar to entry unfortunately, as are more than one instance of self harm. Any history of anti-psychotic treatment is unfortunately a no-go. Habitual/prolonged recreational drugs use is also a bar to entry.

If you hold a Commonwealth passport only, then you need five years UK residency before eligible to apply.

Best of luck.

Anyway..

Sounds like you would be a hoot on a run ashore, so I'd have you in my section, probably give you the GPMG as well.......
Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 21.45.59.png

Short, snappy answers.

1. Chopping & changing jobs isn't an issue, the issue is prolonged and repeated periods of unemployment. Only you know whether you can stick with a job for 4+ years, but if you do not opt out in the first six months, you won't have a choice. If that isn't acceptable, don't apply.
2. Mental Health issues requiring more than 12 consecutive month's treatment (counselling/medication) or more than three individual occurrences are an outright bar to entry unfortunately, as are more than one instance of self harm. Any history of anti-psychotic treatment is unfortunately a no-go. Habitual/prolonged recreational drugs use is also a bar to entry.

If you hold a Commonwealth passport only, then you need five years UK residency before eligible to apply.

Best of luck.
Ninja, are you sure that the residency issue only goes for Commonwealth passport holders?

https://www.navy-net.co.uk/communit...nt-british-national-that-lived-abroad.170705/