Should a mother join the Navy?

In an ideal world no-one one would go to war would they? We would all sit round eating sherbert dib dabs and discussing the latest trends in home decor. However for two reasons women now have to go to war:-

1. We all know there was a shortage of personnel in the late 1980s so a decision was made to open up sea service to females. This is because blokes - and not the ones on here obviously - did not see it in their interest to serve their country. Equality my arse ... the govt was desperate.

2. If women ruled the world there would be no wars anyway. We would all love each other and there would be pink fluffy things instead of guns.

spider_monkey

Lantern Swinger
Uncle_Albert said:
spider_monkey said:
The fact that the situation in Iran is be hijacked by the female issue clearly shows that there is no place for women on the front line (mother or not).
Surely it shows instead that civvy street needs to grow up?
I don't think that's going to happen either Uncle.

Squirrel

Lantern Swinger
rosinacarley said:
In an ideal world no-one one would go to war would they? We would all sit round eating sherbert dib dabs and discussing the latest trends in home decor. However for two reasons women now have to go to war:-

1. We all know there was a shortage of personnel in the late 1980s so a decision was made to open up sea service to females. This is because blokes - and not the ones on here obviously - did not see it in their interest to serve their country. Equality my arse ... the govt was desperate.

2. If women ruled the world there would be no wars anyway. We would all love each other and there would be pink fluffy things instead of guns.[/quote]

Just intense very intense rounds of negotiations every 28 days :lol:

it has taken a`situation like faye to bring to the forefront of British media---
women have been at sea since 1991- yet now we all kick off and get irate--
Faye believed in what she was doing, as did I, yet now people condone her as she is a mother??!!!
She is holding down a career to provide the best she can for her child, so what right do we have to disrespect her for that - or indeed for any serving mother, be her army navy or raf?
at the end of the day they / we have the guts not only to fight for "queen and country" but also to fight the bigots that appear in this type of situation....

Sad to say UA, I`ve never been out of work, Apprentice Cabinet Maker left to join the Andrew, never had dole or whatever it is called to-day. I take it that you are agreeing that it is normal to join up as a mother?

spider_monkey

Lantern Swinger
brazenhussy said:
it has taken a`situation like faye to bring to the forefront of British media---
quote]

This isn't the first time we've been in this type of situation, but the fact that there's a women from the RN involved might make you think it was.

Uncle_Albert

War Hero
higthepig said:
Sad to say UA, I`ve never been out of work, Apprentice Cabinet Maker left to join the Andrew, never had dole or whatever it is called to-day. I take it that you are agreeing that it is normal to join up as a mother?
On the one hand it's unusual for anyone to join up (as the recruitment chaps will attest), but I would pass no more comment on a mother joining than anyone else, and I'd certainly applaud it over the decision to simply be a drain on the welfare system.

safewalrus

War Hero
OK my pennyworth - women in the service, no problem they've more than proved their worth, on the front line ditto!

But a mother? Because of the way we humans (mammals) have our young, when a female has young it grows inside her - it is part of her - part of the upbringing process is after it comes out! Once a female becomes a mother society SHOULD NOT PUT HER IN HARMS WAY it's what society is about! ANY child from conception to age 14 (ish - we're all different) needs the mothers touch for as long as the mother can give it (there are cases when this mother love is withdrawn - death and the like) IT is societies duty to ensure that it's children should have the mother available ALL the time - not galivanting off on some career path to glory (I'm sure the reason for this will receive a medal etc to show approval - if she don't crack up first - looks like she's not far off - who wouldn't be in those circumstances?). Keep 'em in the service by all means, but don't let them go into combat! Alternatively send the child with them!! :roll:

Try asking those who have been deprived of a mother's love from an early age what their view is! :(

any woman can be a mother - it takes a special sort to be a mum!

and brazzen, yep kid it's hard to give up something you've believed in for years but in my mind your doing the right thing and you have my respect completly for it (whether you want it or not)

UncleAlbert

War Hero
The hussey likes to give the impression that prior to her joining there was no wimmin sailors of any significance… whereas the truth is there have been sailergirls in the mob since day one …the difference was they didn’t serve on the front line … there’s plenty of jobs on a ship that are better suited to wimmin than poncing about on a rib…why is it the bloody navy has no CDF…the septics don`t put wimmin on the front line and neither now do the Israelis…the latter as they found that the men were overprotective towards the wimmin and therefore were not putting their minds fully on the murderin and pillage that they were being paid to do.
Any way after this sorry episode I think and hope it will be a long time before we see wimmin on the front line again….and rightly so.

UncleAlbert said:
The hussey likes to give the impression that prior to her joining there was no wimmin sailors of any significance… whereas the truth is there have been sailergirls in the mob since day one …the difference was they didn’t serve on the front line … there’s plenty of jobs on a ship that are better suited to wimmin than poncing about on a rib…why is it the bloody navy has no CDF…the septics don`t put wimmin on the front line and neither now do the Israelis…the latter as they found that the men were overprotective towards the wimmin and therefore were not putting their minds fully on the murderin and pillage that they were being paid to do.
Any way after this sorry episode I think and hope it will be a long time before we see wimmin on the front line again….and rightly so.
not even biting on this one

spider_monkey said:
rosinacarley said:
2. If women ruled the world there would be no wars anyway. We would all love each other and there would be pink fluffy things instead of guns.
Grow up!
Oh dear Spider_Monkey? have you not drunk from the cup of irony tonight? Or are you just a grumpy git with no sense of humour?

I have to say I find some of the comments on this thread fairly repugnant, and I will take the bait.

I am old enough to have been about; before, during and after the transition of women at sea. Whilst Jack will always try his luck with any woman anywhere, I didn't find that this had a negative effect on morale onboard. In fact women brought a positive mindset from the start.

As to no women in the front line. What do people here define as 'front-line'? I am more than happy to discuss the concept of battle space linearity in asymetic warfare if you want. I would suggest however that, as a 'starter for 10' aircrew both rotary and fast jet meet any criteria you care to down, and we brits, along with many other nations, have female WAFUs.

I am not by any means suggesting women should be in the infantry or the corp, but I challenge anyone to doubt courage and worth of those women who worked with 14 Int in the 70s and 80s.

As to the difference between mothers and women per se. I have yet to see one. I know some massively competent servicewoman, many of whom are mothers who have served diligently in the operational theatres in which we are currently fighting, and have had the pleasure of serving alongside a few.

M(R)

boredwafu

Lantern Swinger
Reservist-Monkey said:
I have to say I find some of the comments on this thread fairly repugnant, and I will take the bait.

I am old enough to have been about; before, during and after the transition of women at sea. Whilst Jack will always try his luck with any woman anywhere, I didn't find that this had a negative effect on morale onboard. In fact women brought a positive mindset from the start.

As to no women in the front line. What do people here define as 'front-line'? I am more than happy to discuss the concept of battle space linearity in asymetic warfare if you want. I would suggest however that, as a 'starter for 10' aircrew both rotary and fast jet meet any criteria you care to down, and we brits, along with many other nations, have female WAFUs.

I am not by any means suggesting women should be in the infantry or the corp, but I challenge anyone to doubt courage and worth of those women who worked with 14 Int in the 70s and 80s.

As to the difference between mothers and women per se. I have yet to see one. I know some massively competent servicewoman, many of whom are mothers who have served diligently in the operational theatres in which we are currently fighting, and have had the pleasure of serving alongside a few.

M(R)
Couldn't agree more with the above.

dunkers

War Hero
Shouldn't we be thinking of the children left behind here, without mothers? :?

I would think that in later years a lot of mothers would regret not spending time with their young children, but instead following a career away from home. Which is more worthwhile for a mother?