Should a mother join the Navy?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Shakey, Mar 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Debate over on The Times if you want to add your two pen'orth:

Times debate here

2. probably not the best person to answer this as I'm leaving and i am a mother of 2 - aged 2 and 4....................... however it was the hardest decision I have ever made...........
    I do think there is a place for mother's in the forces yes, and I think they should be treated no different to men in the forces with children......
    it is the age old stigma or not being at home and being there 24/7, yet they are doing what they feel is right to provide for their family - at least they dont just give up and leave them in a hospital doorway or subject the child to a life of poverty and neglect.
    ok breathe bh.................................................................

3. I'd love my mother to join! Payback for years of abuse, 'thats the AAMR scrubbed Chief' 'good mum, now have you made your bed!'

4. This is one of those media favourites; women in the Armed Forces. Why not ask the question; "Should a father join the Navy?" Children need fathers just as much as they need mothers. Women are equal, let's treat them as such instead of a race apart. The press are ignoring the 14 men involved in this situation.

5. my point exactly wardmaster -- "I do think there is a place for mother's in the forces yes, and I think they should be treated no different to men in the forces with children...... "

6. Having met a couple of serving mothers, I have no problem with their choice of career. They had both made sensible arrangements for the care of their child(ren) when absent, and obviously loved them no less than I loved mine.

On a lighter note - At least a servicewoman wouldn't have to wait till her child is ten months old before meeting her, as I did.

2BM

7. Certainly as long as their duties are driving a desk ashore.

8. what difference is there between a woman away than a man??
    are you saying a mother's presence is more important than a father's?

9. Because 'the man' is now pulled of his duties to look after the brat and some other poor sod has to stand in.

10. Gender does not make a good parent!!!
    A woman should have the same right to pursue a career as a man.
    Having watched the video of Faye before her capture,she seems an articulate, caring person,note I say person not woman.
    Good luck and safe passage home to all our Armed Forces personell.
    Let's not destroy the last 17 years of equality,the lasses have already proved their worth as echoed on other threads.
    Cheers MH

11. But they`re not Mothers when they join up, are they?

12. Hig
    I do believe that there is a woman who has recently joined who is also a Mother!!
    Can't locate the thread but am sure it was on here somewhere.

13. But that is not the norm, is it?

14. Hig
    What is normal nowadays??
    If you can find the answer to the above question mate you will make a fortune.

15. Hig
    What is normal nowadays??
    If you can find the answer to the above question mate you will make a fortune.

16. there was a lass in my sqaud in Raleigh in 92 who was a mother; she'd been in, had to leave on pregnancy but then joined back up again when her daughter was about 4 if I remember. She was re-joining as a nurse and I remember her doing very well in training. Don't know what became of her; I hope she did well.

17. Morsehorse.
    The Mother concerned is the wife of a POCA who is approaching the end of his 22. The picture of the Wells family was published in February's Navy News. She had completed Raleigh aged 36, and was bound for training as a Dental SA. The ages of the children wasn't mentioned but there are two teenagers and, I believe, a nine year old. There was a thread running on RR at the time.

2BM

18. The fact that the situation in Iran is be hijacked by the female issue clearly shows that there is no place for women on the front line (mother or not).

There are 14 other service personnel in the same situation and none are being given the same coverage. If they were all blokes this wouldn't be such an issue and the the topic would just simmer along below the public eyeline (as it did in 2004).

My opinion is that there should be no women at sea; they bring more issues to the party than they solve and on the whole they just get in the way.

However, if we do continue to send them into harms way we must accept that they then receive the same coverage as the other sex when the wheels fall off - equal opportunities and all that!

God speed their safe return.

19. Surely it shows instead that civvy street needs to grow up?

20. So i take it then that I`m wrong, it is normal for the girls to join up as mothers or already pregnant? An alternative to getting a Council House and living on benefits then.