Should a mother join the Navy?

probably not the best person to answer this as I'm leaving and i am a mother of 2 - aged 2 and 4....................... however it was the hardest decision I have ever made...........
I do think there is a place for mother's in the forces yes, and I think they should be treated no different to men in the forces with children......
it is the age old stigma or not being at home and being there 24/7, yet they are doing what they feel is right to provide for their family - at least they dont just give up and leave them in a hospital doorway or subject the child to a life of poverty and neglect.
ok breathe bh.................................................................

kingoftwigs

War Hero
I'd love my mother to join! Payback for years of abuse, 'thats the AAMR scrubbed Chief' 'good mum, now have you made your bed!'

This is one of those media favourites; women in the Armed Forces. Why not ask the question; "Should a father join the Navy?" Children need fathers just as much as they need mothers. Women are equal, let's treat them as such instead of a race apart. The press are ignoring the 14 men involved in this situation.

wardmaster said:
This is one of those media favourites; women in the Armed Forces. Why not ask the question; "Should a father join the Navy?" Children need fathers just as much as they need mothers. Women are equal, let's treat them as such instead of a race apart. The press are ignoring the 14 men involved in this situation.
my point exactly wardmaster -- "I do think there is a place for mother's in the forces yes, and I think they should be treated no different to men in the forces with children...... "

2badge_mango

War Hero
Having met a couple of serving mothers, I have no problem with their choice of career. They had both made sensible arrangements for the care of their child(ren) when absent, and obviously loved them no less than I loved mine.

On a lighter note - At least a servicewoman wouldn't have to wait till her child is ten months old before meeting her, as I did.

2BM

finknottle said:
Certainly as long as their duties are driving a desk ashore.
what difference is there between a woman away than a man??
are you saying a mother's presence is more important than a father's?

dhobyitch

Lantern Swinger
brazenhussy said:
finknottle said:
Certainly as long as their duties are driving a desk ashore.
what difference is there between a woman away than a man??
are you saying a mother's presence is more important than a father's?
Because 'the man' is now pulled of his duties to look after the brat and some other poor sod has to stand in.

morsehorse

Lantern Swinger
Gender does not make a good parent!!!
A woman should have the same right to pursue a career as a man.
Having watched the video of Faye before her capture,she seems an articulate, caring person,note I say person not woman.
Good luck and safe passage home to all our Armed Forces personell.
Let's not destroy the last 17 years of equality,the lasses have already proved their worth as echoed on other threads.
Cheers MH

morsehorse

Lantern Swinger
Hig
I do believe that there is a woman who has recently joined who is also a Mother!!
Can't locate the thread but am sure it was on here somewhere.

Squirrel

Lantern Swinger
higthepig said:
But they`re not Mothers when they join up, are they?
there was a lass in my sqaud in Raleigh in 92 who was a mother; she'd been in, had to leave on pregnancy but then joined back up again when her daughter was about 4 if I remember. She was re-joining as a nurse and I remember her doing very well in training. Don't know what became of her; I hope she did well.

2badge_mango

War Hero
Morsehorse.
The Mother concerned is the wife of a POCA who is approaching the end of his 22. The picture of the Wells family was published in February's Navy News. She had completed Raleigh aged 36, and was bound for training as a Dental SA. The ages of the children wasn't mentioned but there are two teenagers and, I believe, a nine year old. There was a thread running on RR at the time.

2BM

spider_monkey

Lantern Swinger
The fact that the situation in Iran is be hijacked by the female issue clearly shows that there is no place for women on the front line (mother or not).

There are 14 other service personnel in the same situation and none are being given the same coverage. If they were all blokes this wouldn't be such an issue and the the topic would just simmer along below the public eyeline (as it did in 2004).

My opinion is that there should be no women at sea; they bring more issues to the party than they solve and on the whole they just get in the way.

However, if we do continue to send them into harms way we must accept that they then receive the same coverage as the other sex when the wheels fall off - equal opportunities and all that!

God speed their safe return.

Uncle_Albert

War Hero
spider_monkey said:
The fact that the situation in Iran is be hijacked by the female issue clearly shows that there is no place for women on the front line (mother or not).
Surely it shows instead that civvy street needs to grow up?

So i take it then that I`m wrong, it is normal for the girls to join up as mothers or already pregnant? An alternative to getting a Council House and living on benefits then.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Passed medical, what is next and how long should I expect before intake? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS How should competition policy react to coronavirus? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 8 things you should know about your student loan MoD News 0
C Should I inform my afco about going to doctors? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
M Should I join the Reserves or Regular? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS General public should not have to pay for 101 non-emergency calls from tomorrow MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Should an oral hearing be impacted by the coronavirus? MoD News 0
J Joining as a chef, should I join the RFA or the RN? RFA 11
J Should I join the RN or RFA as a chef. Joining the Royal Navy 6
MoD_RSS Housing Secretary: beautiful homes should become 'norm' MoD News 0
P How long before should you prepare for the PJFT? Joining the Royal Navy 20
MoD_RSS Charity can and should lead the way in taking people’s expectations seriously MoD News 0
slim Anyone should be allowed to 'identify' as black regardless of the colour of their skin or background, say university leaders Current Affairs 16
slim Should ID be required when Voting? Current Affairs 36
D Should I wait until PRNC? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
slim Should Retired Old and Bold Pharts Leave RR? Diamond Lil's 59
U First deployment coming up soon, what should I bring? RFA 12
MoD_RSS All new rapid chargepoints should offer card payment by 2020 MoD News 0
B What should I do. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Speech: International community should be united in demanding peace in Sudan and Darfur MoD News 0
skyvet Chas Cooke (Why Should Britain Tremble) The Book Club 5
B What should I do? UPO/Careers Office 36
MoD_RSS Speech: Effective solutions to gender issues should be sustained: speech by Philip Smith MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Key facts you should know about the apprenticeship levy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: ‘What should the Spending Review focus on?’: speech by the Chief Secretary to the Treasury MoD News 0
slim Should the average white person apologise for Slavery? Diamond Lil's 26
MoD_RSS Press release: Damian Hinds: School leaders should ditch email culture to cut workload MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Girls’ education should be a development priority for the Commonwealth MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Business and communities should plan now for climate change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Five steps motorists should take to avoid deer collisions this autumn MoD News 0
N Should I even be considering this? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
B Should I have received an application form in the post? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
vauxhall What is Abatement and Why Should I Care? Finance & Pensions 0
T what format and how long should my urn be. Joining the Royal Navy 14
R Should I wait? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
Maxpowers AET What aspects of math should I practice? The Fleet Air Arm 52
R How long should I expect to wait for my start date? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
TechFin Heading to the Careers Office, Anything I should ask? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
S How far past basic fitness requirements should I aim for? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
A How much should I be able to squat? Health & Fitness 5
Hooly How can the Navy operate with 35% of PO(ET) missing. Should Industry be taxed for poaching Engineers The Fleet 18
Walter_white Should I do A levels and become an officer even though I've already applied as a rating? Joining the Royal Navy 25
Sumo Just another day at the office or should have been? Miscellaneous 4
U temporary medicaly unfit - how long should it take Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
BillyNoMates Every Forum should have its' own theme music. The Gash Barge 1
joeG How much money should i take to raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Jack90 How long should I wait? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
taffscrivs Who should appear on the new £20 note? Diamond Lil's 50
D Which engineering branch should i go for? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
Guns Should staff assginments be longer than two years and should we advertise the posts? The Quarterdeck 23