Shotley Mags: Easter '62 - Summer '65: Anyone here in them?

I recently had the good fortune to buy a set of 9 Shotley Magazines (HMS Ganges) from eBay, all of which are in mint condition.

The Ganges Mags arrived this morning. I have got the following editions:-

1962 - Easter, Summer & Christmas
1963 - Easter & Christmas
1964 - Summer & Christmas
1965 - Easter & Summer

Plus the Parents' Day Programme for 26 June 1965 & a few other odds and sods.

Does anyone here appear in any of them, to their knowledge?

I've Just spotted Nutty in the Easter 1962 Magazine (p27) with his memorable haircut.

I also have a duplicate Christmas 1964 edition....

Always_a_Civvy said:
I recently had the good fortune to buy a set of 9 Shotley Magazines (HMS Ganges) from eBay, all of which are in mint condition.

1965 - Easter & Summer

I've Just spotted Nutty in the Easter 1962 Magazine (p27) with his memorable haircut.

Excuse me but I also get a honourable mention on page 53 of Spring or Summer 62 Mag (I only have a copy of the page) for passing my ETLR 2nd name 2nd column.

Nutty

Nutty said:
Always_a_Civvy said:

1965 - Easter & Summer

Excuse me but I also get a honourable mention on page 53 of Spring or Summer 62 Mag (I only have a copy of the page) for passing my ETLR 2nd name 2nd column.

Nutty
Oh, I didn't look there... just in the bit headed Drake...

You're right though: Summer '62, p53:

EDUCATIONAL TEST FOR LEADING RATE

The following candidates were successful in the April, 1962 examinations:-

Head, R. E. D. 37
On p.29 of the same Mag it reads:-

39 Mess

Instructors: PO Keating, PO Searley

Badge Juniors: Godber, Warner, Cheetham

We are now well on with our training and it will not be long before we go on draft. We have had a fairly eventful term with Sea Training and Work Ship; 37 Class went to Kiel in HMS Venus and 38 Class joined HMS Venus at Devonport before she went to sea as HMS Hermes' Planeguard in the Channel.

The whole Mess is involved in the Man Overboard demonstration to be given on Parents' Day. The seaboat's crew is the same as our winning whaler's crew of last term.

We may not be top of the Inter-Mess Sports League, but we came second in the Divisional Sports and we have not been overlooked in the Mess Cleanliness Competition.

Two members of our Mess are in the Bugle Band and three are in the Shooting Training Group. We have two sailing coxwains and ten qualified canoe coxwains and they are looking forward to testing their abilities in a forthcoming Exped.

This is our final contribution to the Shotley Magazine so we take this opportunity of warning all future members of HMS Ganges to "Change your mind before it is too late".
In the Easter 1962 Mag, on p.27, the spiel about 39 Mess reads as follows:-

39 Mess - 37 and 38 Classes

PO Keating and PO Shortland
Ldg. Junior Hughes

As we sit waiting for supper we thought we would write a few notes for the Magazine.

We are now 14 weeks on course and nearing 1st Classing, and our varied trades are becoming apparent. The Cooks and Stores outnumber we few Seamen but we survive their influence. At school we also vary, from the GCE to the GC.

We contribute our share to activities outside the Mess - three footballers and one Rugby player of Ganges standard, one very keen coxwain - and more to come; one Ganges Swimmer; three in the .303 training group and one Ganges Cross-Country runner. There are two Bugle Banders, and five VGI Call Boys so far. We provide most of the Division's Water Polo team and our share of other Divisional teams. We have a large contingent in the D of E Award Scheme, and the Mess is the Divisional home of canoe building and provides the picture frame makers.

In 12th week exams 38 Class defeated 37 Class at Gunnery but 37 gained their revenge in the PI exam.
There! Satisfied?

Re: Shotley Mags: Easter '62 - Summer '65: Anyone here in th

Nutty said:
Always_a_Civvy said:

1965 - Easter & Summer

Nutty
Way before my time! but the Photo.s will intrest me.

Hi AAC,

I was there during April 62 to March 63 - can't remember if I would be in any one of them though, but you're welcome to seek me out !!
My Recruitment was #49, and I was in Grenville 23 Mess, Instructors/Badge Juniors names I cannot recall at this time (probably didn't like 'em so forgot 'em when I left)
Would be interested in seeing the piccies on the site also.

:smile:

The first picture is the one AAC refers to printed in the G Mag. This is a copy of the original Drake Div Sail Racing Cutter Crew.

From Left to right, Bob (Nutty) Head, Tom Anderson, Unknown), Colin (Dinky) Dalton, Fred Ross, Dick Coward (Rear)
Unknown (Front), Unkown.

HMS Ganges style single accomodation and it had to look like this every time we left it.

PO Keating RP1 in pic. 1963 he was the CPO Coxswain of HMS Cambrian in the Far East.

Nutty

whitemouse said:
Hi AAC,

I was there during April 62 to March 63 - can't remember if I would be in any one of them though, but you're welcome to seek me out !!
My Recruitment was #49, and I was in Grenville 23 Mess, Instructors/Badge Juniors names I cannot recall at this time (probably didn't like 'em so forgot 'em when I left)
Would be interested in seeing the piccies on the site also.

Were you in 23 Mess 701/914 Class? If so there is the following note about your class...

Shotley Mag - Summer 1962

(page 24)

Grenville Division

23 Mess, 701/914 Classes

Instructors: CAF McLeod, PO Charman

As the Nozzers of the Division, we have the honour of presenting a few lines for the Magazine.

We joined from the Annexe on the Glorious First of June, and after a few weeks of hard slog and continual chasing by our Instructors, we have now become an full and active part of the Division.

At the time of going to press we cannot boast of any outstanding athletes, but we hope that with plenty of practice in the coming weeks we may be able to display a few Divisional Colours.

A very good leave to you all.
Plus...

Piccies to follow.

And now the phots...

Sorry for their quality but this is how they appear in the printed magazines. I have copied them with a dedicated 50mm Macro lens for the best quality I can obtain.

(From Shotley Magazines: Easter & Summer 1962)

Always_a_Civvy said:
whitemouse said:
Hi AAC.....,
................to follow.
Yep, 914 Class, PO Charman now rings the bell with the little grey cells.

Give some time to examine the pics to see if I exist on them.

Thanks

Paul

As requested by Ken, here is a piccy and the opening page of the Exmouth Division's contribution, from the Easter 1963 edition of the Magazine. It only has two pages from Exmouth Division.

'Kin 'ell... the bloke at the far right, in civvies, looks a little tad like Uncle Adolf - when were you in training Ken ? :???:

:lol:

JUST FOUND RUM RATION !! VERY INTERESTED IN SHOTLEY MAG. I AM IN THE ONE OF THE PICS WITH ABOUT 15 OTHERS RECOGNISE A FEW ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE IN SAME SHOT???? I WAS IN GRENVILLEE 22 MESS ENTRY 54 P/064143 REGARDS TOPSY

When I get my new scanner I will rescan then in and post them here. Hopefully I will eventually have a complete set of the Mags and can give them to the National Maritime Museum.

Which one are you Topsy? Not the one with the lampbrush/Neville Chamberlain moustache? ;)

hi only found "rum ration" couple of weeks ago, not very well up on computers, e. mail etc. but was gob smacked to see myself in one of the photos and also a townie of mine in another just a recruitment behind me. I was a Ganges boy from 61 - 62 Grenville 22 mess towards bottom of long coverd way. Regards Topsy Turner P/064143

topsy said:
hi only found "rum ration" couple of weeks ago, not very well up on computers, e. mail etc. but was gob smacked to see myself in one of the photos and also a townie of mine in another just a recruitment behind me. I was a Ganges boy from 61 - 62 Grenville 22 mess towards bottom of long coverd way. Regards Topsy Turner P/064143
Topsy, which one are you? I take it you're in the classroom scene sitting to attention?

nah, not the classroom photo, the one taken on the sportsfield, seems we are celebrating something or other p.t.i. drowned in the pool? j.i. from the annexe fell off top of the mast?

1964/5, 71 recrutement do you have it ,isit for sale j. m.e.1 broad i was there

1965 - Easter & Summer

i was in 71 recruitment 1964 /5 and at the parents day summer 65 would like to get hold of the mag. are any for sale , george broad grenville 22 mess ,best regards