Shotley Mags: Easter '62 - Summer '65: Anyone here in them?

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by Always_a_Civvy, Mar 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I recently had the good fortune to buy a set of 9 Shotley Magazines (HMS Ganges) from eBay, all of which are in mint condition.

The Ganges Mags arrived this morning. I have got the following editions:-

1962 - Easter, Summer & Christmas
    1963 - Easter & Christmas
    1964 - Summer & Christmas
    1965 - Easter & Summer

Plus the Parents' Day Programme for 26 June 1965 & a few other odds and sods.

Does anyone here appear in any of them, to their knowledge?

I've Just spotted Nutty in the Easter 1962 Magazine (p27) with his memorable haircut.

I also have a duplicate Christmas 1964 edition....

2. Excuse me but I also get a honourable mention on page 53 of Spring or Summer 62 Mag (I only have a copy of the page) for passing my ETLR 2nd name 2nd column.

Nutty

3. Oh, I didn't look there... just in the bit headed Drake...

You're right though: Summer '62, p53:

On p.29 of the same Mag it reads:-

In the Easter 1962 Mag, on p.27, the spiel about 39 Mess reads as follows:-

There! Satisfied?

4. Re: Shotley Mags: Easter '62 - Summer '65: Anyone here in th

Way before my time! but the Photo.s will intrest me.

5. Re: Shotley Mags: Easter '62 - Summer '65: Anyone here in th

Hi AAC,

I was there during April 62 to March 63 - can't remember if I would be in any one of them though, but you're welcome to seek me out !!
    My Recruitment was #49, and I was in Grenville 23 Mess, Instructors/Badge Juniors names I cannot recall at this time (probably didn't like 'em so forgot 'em when I left)
    Would be interested in seeing the piccies on the site also.

:smile:

6. Re: Shotley Mags: Easter '62 - Summer '65: Anyone here in th

The first picture is the one AAC refers to printed in the G Mag. This is a copy of the original Drake Div Sail Racing Cutter Crew.

[​IMG]

From Left to right, Bob (Nutty) Head, Tom Anderson, Unknown), Colin (Dinky) Dalton, Fred Ross, Dick Coward (Rear)
    Unknown (Front), Unkown.

HMS Ganges style single accomodation and it had to look like this every time we left it.

[​IMG]

PO Keating RP1 in pic. 1963 he was the CPO Coxswain of HMS Cambrian in the Far East.

Nutty

7. Re: Shotley Mags: Easter '62 - Summer '65: Anyone here in th

Were you in 23 Mess 701/914 Class? If so there is the following note about your class...

Shotley Mag - Summer 1962

(page 24)

Grenville Division

Plus...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Piccies to follow.

8. And now the phots...

Sorry for their quality but this is how they appear in the printed magazines. I have copied them with a dedicated 50mm Macro lens for the best quality I can obtain.

(From Shotley Magazines: Easter & Summer 1962)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Re: Shotley Mags: Easter '62 - Summer '65: Anyone here in th

10. As requested by Ken, here is a piccy and the opening page of the Exmouth Division's contribution, from the Easter 1963 edition of the Magazine. It only has two pages from Exmouth Division.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Re: Shotley Mags: Easter '62 - Summer '65: Anyone here in th

'Kin 'ell... the bloke at the far right, in civvies, looks a little tad like Uncle Adolf - when were you in training Ken ? :???:

:lol:

12. Re: Shotley Mags: Easter '62 - Summer '65: Anyone here in th

JUST FOUND RUM RATION !! VERY INTERESTED IN SHOTLEY MAG. I AM IN THE ONE OF THE PICS WITH ABOUT 15 OTHERS RECOGNISE A FEW ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE IN SAME SHOT???? I WAS IN GRENVILLEE 22 MESS ENTRY 54 P/064143 REGARDS TOPSY

13. TOPSY AGAIN JUST COUNTED THERE ARE ABOUT 26 IN PHOTO!!! (&yes iknow how to spell grenville)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Re: Shotley Mags: Easter '62 - Summer '65: Anyone here in th

Stop shouting !!......( CAPITALS )

15. Re: Shotley Mags: Easter '62 - Summer '65: Anyone here in th

Probably a GI ??? ;)

16. When I get my new scanner I will rescan then in and post them here. Hopefully I will eventually have a complete set of the Mags and can give them to the National Maritime Museum.

Which one are you Topsy? Not the one with the lampbrush/Neville Chamberlain moustache? ;)

17. Re: Shotley Mags: Easter '62 - Summer '65: Anyone here in th

hi only found "rum ration" couple of weeks ago, not very well up on computers, e. mail etc. but was gob smacked to see myself in one of the photos and also a townie of mine in another just a recruitment behind me. I was a Ganges boy from 61 - 62 Grenville 22 mess towards bottom of long coverd way. Regards Topsy Turner P/064143

18. Re: Shotley Mags: Easter '62 - Summer '65: Anyone here in th

Topsy, which one are you? I take it you're in the classroom scene sitting to attention?

19. Re: Shotley Mags: Easter '62 - Summer '65: Anyone here in th

nah, not the classroom photo, the one taken on the sportsfield, seems we are celebrating something or other p.t.i. drowned in the pool? j.i. from the annexe fell off top of the mast?

20. 1964/5, 71 recrutement do you have it ,isit for sale j. m.e.1 broad i was there

i was in 71 recruitment 1964 /5 and at the parents day summer 65 would like to get hold of the mag. are any for sale , george broad grenville 22 mess ,best regards